Kimber Talk Forums banner

Safety Bit Me

5K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  2sharp2 
#1 ·
Does anybody else have this issue?

I've tried adjusting my grip, but the gun seems to find its way back into biting position after a shot or two.

See less See more
#2 ·
Ouch...it will make you so you don't want to shoot it. Hope you find a good answer. My little Bodyguard 380 got me one time when my hand got behind the slide.

Reactions: Csmallo
#4 ·
This is a great site for useful information for new gun owners, or those not mechanically inclined. See the diagram below. There are descriptive names and lines to follow. Search for "grip", got it?, good!, that is what you hold onto when shooting your gun. :)

I know that your "gun" looks difference, but maybe you can see the similarities and figure it out. :D

#7 ·
seawolf, I've got over 400 rounds downrange from my Micro 9, another 500 from my Sig P938 that is basically the same pistol.

I'd suggest just holding the piece tighter in your right hand, and assuming you shoot with both hands, clamp your support hand down a bit too. I've never had any marks, cuts, bruises or any other skin-shredding issues with either pistol in regard to the safety. I've not heard of anyone else having this problem either, so it's most likely the way you're holding the thing.

#9 ·
so it's most likely the way you're holding the thing.
The OP's pistol has a grip with a beavertail. Normally I would say it is impossible to hold the pistol in such a way as to get a bite from the slide's rearward action. But then there are always folks here that can't figure out how to remove a grip (from the gun), or whether to use a screw driver or an allen wrench. :rolleyes:

I sure hope we can help this guy before he shoots himself.

#8 ·
Mine has bit me on two range trips. After studying my grip, I thought that the slide may have nicked the web of my hand because I was holding it to high. A few times, when shooting the safety would engage when my thumb was under it. I decided to put my thumb on top of the safety so it wouldn't kick the safety on. Next thing I know I have blood dripping down my hand and on the gun. (Wipe it off and keep on shooting:D) Still not positive that was the case but is a definite possibility. Now that it is healed I'll do more investigation on the next range trip.

#13 ·
I can see where it might do it depending on how many rounds are shot. It is like a blister when you get a new pair of shoes that just don't fit right. Everyone's hands are different. I looked at our Kimber...I know I hold it different than my wife does.

Reactions: Csmallo and 2sharp2
#17 ·
Does anybody else have this issue?
I've tried adjusting my grip, but the gun seems to find its way back into biting position after a shot or two.
Just a guess here but if the gun is rotating in your hands as you're shooting it then you're not gripping it tight enough. Your gun and hands should move as one with the gun never changing position in your hands. Some of our ladies were having a similar problem about a year ago or so ago. The suggestion was made that they strengthen their grip with simple exercise. Something like the Gripmaster can be used while sitting watching TV. I use a black one myself, the different colors represent different resistant weights. They are inexpensive and if you use them they will work. Some of the ladies later reported that their grip improved and they were shooting more accurately with better control.

#19 ·
Seawolf:
2 thoughts for you. I was just looking at my own grip on my micro 9 and my thumb basically lays on top of my middle finger where it comes round the grip (almost hovering over the mag release button, but not actually touching it). This actually means the safety is not in contact with my thumb or web of my thumb at all. The gun would have to move A LOT to mke contact with my hand where yours did.

Second, have you tried shooting a 7 round mag? It may help you get a better purchase on the gun so it does not move in your hand as much. Good luck, I hope you figure it out.

#20 ·
I think you're onto something here. I've never had formal training about where to place my support hand, so I consulted Google and found this article: The Combat Grip

If you look at the "thumb over thumb" grip, the right thumb appears to be parallel to the slide. In my attempt to copy this grip, I am putting the web of my hand against the safety.

Apparently this is an issue, so can somebody point me toward an article with a more correct grip?

#26 ·
I replaced the factory thumb safety with an extended one. The additional real estate makes it easy. Unfortunately there's not an extended safety made (yet?) for the Kimber but with some pretty simple fine filing and stoning work a Colt .380 safety works. A smith should be able to fit one for you easily. Revolver Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel

#27 ·
Not sure this will help, but it is informative for shooting smaller pistols.

#29 ·
I have thousands of rounds thru my .45, 9, and .380 with no bites yet.

But I think I know what you mean when you say the safety got you....when I shoot my .45 sometimes I like to rest my thumb on top of the safety, its comfortable and helps me control muzzle flip, but that end of the safety tends to irritate that area of my hand also.

I fixed the problem by using a dremel with an extra fine grinding stone and ground down or tapered the back top edge of the safety that was bothering me. Has not bothered me since.

#30 ·
I think better grip strength is the key factor. Guess I'm lucky always had pretty good hand strength.
Over the years had a lot of practice holding onto this old Detonics .45acp, can only get two fingers on the grip and when you touch off a 45+P you better have a grip on it!

Attachments

Reactions: Chuck43
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.