I want to be fair to Kimber - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro 9 Forum

Like Tree105Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2017, 11:12 AM   #1

I want to be fair to Kimber

I was very disappointed when my front sight wormed its way out of the slide on my Micro 9 after about 150 rounds. I was even more disappointed when Kimber said they would need 4 to 5 weeks, and later, 7 to 8 weeks, to replace the sight or slide.

Kimber does not have serial numbers on their slides. So why not simply send me a new slide with a sights pressed in??? I'll ship my slide with detached sight back in the same package. WOW... that's like... customer-oriented.

In any case, I did send it back and was without a carry weapon, since I gave my XDS 9mm to my brother, for just over 4 weeks.
The gun was returned. They pressed a new sight in, perhaps with a shim to ensure it doesn't fall out again. They replaced the recoil and firing pin springs, and fired it with two different manufacturers' ammunition. They also polished the barrel.

The gun was returned POST test fire without cleaning. Really??? It takes 4 weeks to replace a sight that lasted 150 rounds, and then you can't bother to clean the weapon after firing it? The first thing I had to do when receiving my gun was rip it apart, clean and lube it. Sad.

Now for the "FAIR" part. The gun is dead-on accurate. I put about 300 rounds through it without any jams or misfiring (not that I had any before since I polished the feed ramp). And at 10 yards, every shot is within 2 inches of the bulls eye. I need to find targets with twelve 4" targets. I don't need those big circles!!!

Oh... and Kimber didn't mess with my polished sear or hammer or other parts, which was a relief. Either they didn't notice, or just didn't care.

Bottom line... Kimber did a nice job remedying the issue that they caused in the first place. It was LONG and UNNECESSARY... but I can't complain with the execution, as the gun works flawlessly. But, I will NEVER purchase another Kimber. Once you're forced to eat sh!t, its not something you're likely to forgive or forget.
Sorry Kimber... you lost a customer.
ChattanoogaPhil and starnovi like this.
Remove Ads
Old 04-19-2017, 11:29 AM   #2

Glad to hear that you received your Micro 9 back and it's working great for you.

I hope you reconsider purchasing another Kimber because it is an awesome brand.

If I never purchased something that was defective right after buying it I would never own another Dodge, Chevy, GMC truck, gun, refrigerator or Trojan condoms again just to name a few...

I really hope to read another range report about another Kimber that you bought in the future....Good luck.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, Tejun and 4 others like this.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:32 AM   #3

I am a glass half full kind of guy. The positives far out weigh the negatives. Look at this way you cannot question Kimber as to whether they test fired your gun. Sounds like they did a couple things gratis which is always nice.It is running the way it should.

Probably did not worry about the polished parts as long as they are Kimber parts.

Personally I do not care whether you ever buy another Kimber. My only concern is your happiness. With that being said would you like some cheese to go with that whine?
Chuck43, Marshall, 2sharp2 and 5 others like this.

There are some things a man can't ride around!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Solo STS 9 mm

Old 04-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #4
Super Moderator

"I want to be fair to Kimber" really, it sure doesn't sound like it. You bought a gun with a loose sight, Kimber paid for the return trip to the factory and corrected the problem. You get it back, shoot 300 trouble free accurate rounds through it and you say you'll never buy another one because you were forced to eat sh!t, really?

I've heard of guys having problems with S&W, Ruger, Glock, Colt even the big custom built guys like Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Brown and Baer have their oops moments. They still put erasers on the end of pencils for a reason, we all make mistakes. It's what we do after we make the mistake that counts.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:46 PM   #5

Just thank God you didn't buy a Solo. 😂
Old 04-19-2017, 12:54 PM   #6

Originally Posted by swca View Post
would you like some cheese to go with that whine?
Well Tom, that's far more generous and accommodating than anything Kimber offered. Alas, no.

I didn't realize I would be criticized for discussing my experiences with Kimber. It's like a forum of liberals that love free speech so long as they agree with the message. If they don't, you're a bigot.

I posted a detailed range report. I offered suggestions to improve the gun. I provided as much detailed information for people on this forum to make an informed decision if they were interested in purchasing this gun. I didn't realize it was whining to convey dissatisfaction with a gun that has its part fall off during firing.

Would it be whining if when I tried to use my weapon to defend my children, I missed a foot to the left because the sight wormed its way out of the slide, and then my family was murdered? Or would I be justified in my dissatisfaction then?
Old 04-19-2017, 01:12 PM   #7

Originally Posted by djo_34 View Post
The gun was returned POST test fire without cleaning. Really??? It takes 4 weeks to replace a sight that lasted 150 rounds, and then you can't bother to clean the weapon after firing it? The first thing I had to do when receiving my gun was rip it apart, clean and lube it. Sad.

Once you're forced to eat sh!t, its not something you're likely to forgive or forget.
Sorry Kimber... you lost a customer.
I, like a lot of folks on the site have bought a lot of guns over the years.
Everyone of them were NOT cleaned after having been test fired at the factory.
Probably to show you they were test fired. How big a deal is it to disassemble a firearm (not "rip it apart") and clean it.
Most of us enjoy doing that.

Your "eat shit" terminology to describe your dissatisfaction is what probably turns off a lot of people.......as kids say these days.....just saying.
Yeah, you were whining.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, swca and 2 others like this.
Sig P226
Sig P238
Sig P938
Sig P938-22
Springfield Armory EMP
Springfield Armory XDm 3.8
Colt New Agent
Colt LE6920 (2)
Ruger LCP
Ruger 22-45
Ruger 10-22
Glock 19
Glock 43

Last edited by trident; 04-19-2017 at 01:14 PM. Reason: addition
Old 04-19-2017, 01:16 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
"I want to be fair to Kimber" really, it sure doesn't sound like it. You bought a gun with a loose sight...
I didn't purchase a 50 cent pencil Chuck. I purchased a weapon for self-defense for almost $600. And like I said, if I sold a $600 gun to someone and the sight fell off after a day at the range, I'd be embarrassed and humiliated. I'd overnight a slide with sights pressed on to my customer. And have them ship the defective parts back. But that would be me.

Of course I didn't expect overnight shipping. But how about send a slide priority mail for $8, rather than make me wait 4 weeks. And what if I, or my family, was attacked while my weapon was being repaired after it was supposedly crafted and inspected by the best gun manufacturer in the world???

This isn't a pencil. Pencils have erasers because you can erase your mistakes. You can't erase a bullet that missed the target a foot to the left and instead killed a child because of a manufacturer defect, can you? There are no mulligans when you have one shot and miss by a foot because your front sight falls out.

I've put over 1000 rounds through my XDS before I gave it to my brother. It never failed. I've put over 1000 rounds through my Springfield 1911 TRP and that gun is still 100% perfect. I've had no issues with any Colt or S&W.

So yeah, I'd say I'm being pretty ******* fair! The taste left in my mouth ain't exactly SWEET. The gun works great. I want your readers to know that the gun works great. I'm not telling people what to buy and what not to. I'm just sharing my experience and providing my opinion. I'm not criticizing you for loving Kimber. I'm just voicing my personal dissatisfaction. I want your readers to know that they may never have to go through what I had to, if they decide to purchase one. But parts falling off my brand new $600 gun that could cost me, my family, or an innocent bystander their life is a BIG ******* DEAL.

Last edited by Chuck43; 04-19-2017 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Fbomb
Old 04-19-2017, 01:22 PM   #9

Originally Posted by trident View Post
Your "eat shit" terminology to describe your dissatisfaction is what probably turns off a lot of people.......
Apparently! Although I'm not posting to turn people on or off. Just posting my experience. They can interpret it anyway they like.

Luckily, they won't have to read or interpret many more.

How do you like your EMP?
Old 04-19-2017, 01:50 PM   #10

I want to be fair to Kimber
Oh... and Kimber didn't mess with my polished sear or hammer or other parts, which was a relief. Either they didn't notice, or just didn't care.
Originally Posted by djo_34 View Post
Apparently! Although I'm not posting to turn people on or off. Just posting my experience. They can interpret it anyway they like.
So far, they have.
Cu kid was just saying a prayer and looking out for your future.

If you have a problem with that, choose a orifice.
End of subject.
Closed Thread