Well, I screwed up! - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro 9 Forum

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2017, 02:52 PM   #1

Well, I screwed up!

I reported to Kimber that my grips on the new CDP looked to be warped. I sent then pics and they in turn sent out a new set of grips for me. Another "chalk one up for Kimber CS" Well, I decided to try and sand the back side of the warped grips down to get them level. It seemed to work ok and when I was putting the things back on after sealing the wood, I broke off one of the grip screws. I did not know they were a different size from the standard 1911. So, I took the grips off again, took off the bushings and was able to take the broken screw out of the bushing without incident. I ordered the new screw set and am now waiting for the screws to show up. Boy can I be a dunce sometime!
Rangemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-17-2017, 03:46 PM   #2
rlk

I remember wearin the old 'dunce hat' a time or two over the years. Unfortunately there never seems to be a last time - at least for me. I think the hat does get smaller. Or maybe, my head just gets fatter!
Old 05-17-2017, 03:49 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Don't beat yourself up to bad, stuff like that happens. Make sure you clean the threads on the bushing and in the frame, apply locktite and let it cure before reinstalling the grips.
Rangemeister and starnovi like this.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:10 PM   #4

Hey RM...Look at the bright side, at least you didn't crazy glue a grip screw into the frame like someone from the Lou did one time....
Old 05-17-2017, 05:58 PM   #5

Welcome to the club! At least it was fixable & not a major disaster!
Rangemeister and swca like this.
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:44 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Hey RM...Look at the bright side, at least you didn't crazy glue a grip screw into the frame like someone from the Lou did one time....
I appreciate your discretion....
Marshall likes this.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:55 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Here is the pic of my PCII before I had it Cerakoted. Who knew that crazy glue would eat the finish off of the frame... Damn KimPro finish...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20170517-205238.jpg (210.9 KB, 30 views)
Markie, JC45 and starnovi like this.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:58 AM   #8

Wow, I had no idea it would do that. You gotta love that chemistry! or hate it depending on the situation
Marshall likes this.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:06 PM   #9

Back together again!

The USPS tracking numbers indicated I would receive my grips from Kimber today, RAH, but would not get the new grip screws until Monday, BOO.

Well, glad the tracking system is off as BOTH items were in my mailbox today!

I was overly joyed and when I opened the items, I worked very slowly putting everything back together again. After I secured the grip screws, I noticed the old grips are still a bit warped. Guess I'll take em down a little more, but at least I have the new ones now.

And Marshall, did not use super glue on the threads......
Chuck43 and Marshall like this.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:15 PM   #10

Am I Anal or what?

I installed my new grips and they are not flush with the frame. Not nearly as bad, but there is a gap between the grip and frame. This concerns me as I worry trash, sweat, etc can get trapped between the grip and frame.....is anyone else like me? Am I indeed what I accuse one of my running buddies of as being "anal"? You Marshall 9 owners, have a look at your gun's grips. I have never owned a 1911 that the grips were not absolutely flush to the frame!