Safety Bit Me - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro 9 Forum

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2017, 05:13 PM   #1

Safety Bit Me

Does anybody else have this issue?

I've tried adjusting my grip, but the gun seems to find its way back into biting position after a shot or two.

starnovi and Csmallo like this.
seawolfxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-18-2017, 08:15 PM   #2

Ouch...it will make you so you don't want to shoot it. Hope you find a good answer. My little Bodyguard 380 got me one time when my hand got behind the slide.
Csmallo likes this.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:25 AM   #3

Mine have never drawn blood, but after 50-100 rounds I will have a red spot in that area.
Markie likes this.
Csmallo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2017, 08:54 AM   #4

This is a great site for useful information for new gun owners, or those not mechanically inclined. See the diagram below. There are descriptive names and lines to follow. Search for "grip", got it?, good!, that is what you hold onto when shooting your gun.

I know that your "gun" looks difference, but maybe you can see the similarities and figure it out.

montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:03 AM   #5

Originally Posted by montanaResident View Post
This is a great site for useful information for new gun owners, or those not mechanically inclined. See the diagram below. There are descriptive names and lines to follow. Search for "grip", got it?, good!, that is what you hold onto when shooting your gun.

I know that your "gun" looks difference, but maybe you can see the similarities and figure it out.

What are you trying to help with exactly? When I said "grip" in my original post I was referring to my hand position on the gun.
Rangemeister, Marshall and Csmallo like this.
seawolfxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:07 AM   #6

Originally Posted by seawolfxix View Post
What are you trying to help with exactly? When I said "grip" in my original post I was referring to my hand position on the gun.
That is the problem then. You grip the grip. See picture and your "hand" holds onto the gun's grip.

A picture of you actually shooting the gun might help here.

For example:

This is wrong!!!

So is this:

And this:

Last edited by montanaResident; 05-19-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:45 AM   #7

seawolf, I've got over 400 rounds downrange from my Micro 9, another 500 from my Sig P938 that is basically the same pistol.

I'd suggest just holding the piece tighter in your right hand, and assuming you shoot with both hands, clamp your support hand down a bit too. I've never had any marks, cuts, bruises or any other skin-shredding issues with either pistol in regard to the safety. I've not heard of anyone else having this problem either, so it's most likely the way you're holding the thing.
rlk, swca and Markie like this.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:55 AM   #8

Mine has bit me on two range trips. After studying my grip, I thought that the slide may have nicked the web of my hand because I was holding it to high. A few times, when shooting the safety would engage when my thumb was under it. I decided to put my thumb on top of the safety so it wouldn't kick the safety on. Next thing I know I have blood dripping down my hand and on the gun. (Wipe it off and keep on shooting) Still not positive that was the case but is a definite possibility. Now that it is healed I'll do more investigation on the next range trip.
Aceuvnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:08 AM   #9

Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
so it's most likely the way you're holding the thing.
The OP's pistol has a grip with a beavertail. Normally I would say it is impossible to hold the pistol in such a way as to get a bite from the slide's rearward action. But then there are always folks here that can't figure out how to remove a grip (from the gun), or whether to use a screw driver or an allen wrench.

I sure hope we can help this guy before he shoots himself.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:56 AM   #10

Originally Posted by montanaResident View Post
The OP's pistol has a grip with a beavertail. Normally I would say it is impossible to hold the pistol in such a way as to get a bite from the slide's rearward action. But then there are always folks here that can't figure out how to remove a grip (from the gun), or whether to use a screw driver or an allen wrench.

I sure hope we can help this guy before he shoots himself.
I don't know if you are trying to be funny or helpful BUT I don't think either one is working for you, may be borderline disrespectful to the OP.

Gold Combat LE
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Pro 9mm
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
CDP Ultra
Raptor Ultra Stainless
RCP Ultra
SIS Custom
SIS Pro
SIS Ultra
TLE Pro (TFS)