Kimber Talk Forums banner

9mm Is It The Best ?

7K views 51 replies 16 participants last post by  Albert.Cairns 
#1 ·
A lot of chatter in the past year or so about the Federal & Government agencies and LE Departments going back to the 9mm. I know I shoot the nine better than the .40 and .45 could be because I'm a wimp, I really don't know. So what do you think about going back to the 9mm ?
FBI 9MM Justification, FBI Training Division | LooseRounds.com

#2 ·
With current ballistics I believe the 9mm is a viable self defense caliber. In today's political environment I don't believe LEO will be allow to carry the most effective rounds for fear of actually killing someone you shoot. They would be branded as killers, intent on committing legal murder. So, they would dumb down the rounds used to being FMJ that are a bit under powered.

Personally, I want a 9mm 1911 in a very bad way. It is a hoot to shoot with much less recoil and about $0.10 per round cheaper than .45. But is it worth me spending $750 to $1,000 to get a 1911 in 9mm must to save $0.10 per round? I'd say yes, just because I think more guns is better. :) But Sweetie may disagree on the financial perspective.

Reactions: Oreste and Marshall
#3 ·
The 9mm was my first 1911 and love it to death, but after shooting the 357, 45acp,45lc and 40 calibers the last couple of years it's getting less attention from me at the range.
I like shooting the bigger rounds and feeling the bigger recoil in my hands..
I'm sure that will change in the years to come as old age kicks in and Arthur starts to invade my bones..

#5 ·
IMO, 9mm is the best cheapest ammo one can buy. It is perfect for hoarding and sitting in the safe until needed. I shoot it better than any other round except for .22. It is also the best at being boring. Like kissing my sister and she's a knock out.

#8 ·
What I'm really trying to do is get views and opinions about Government and LE dropping the 40 and going back to the 9mm. I think cost would be one contributing factor 9mm being cheaper. Also more guns available in 9mm. What say you?

#10 ·
Canonshooter - I have to ask, is that your flickr account in your signature? When I am shooting something that does not go bang, its a Canon. :D
Yeah it's my Flickr page. Mostly wildlife pictures and my non boomer is my Canon also. Sorry I went off topic and back to the 9mm please LOL

#11 ·
I think they're going back to the 9mm because a majority of their people can't shoot the bigger calibers accurately and are plain uncomfortable shooting them. They just don't put the range time in to practice with them and today they've minimized the standards for agents so more people can qualify for the job.

#13 ·
Yeah, I'm afraid I'm considering the 9x19, myself. My wife just got her concealed carry permit, and she's more apt to shoot a smaller caliber.

I still would like it in XD. I saw the new 2.0 versions at Gander Mountain, and I think it fits both of our needs.

#14 ·
There are a few reasons some LE agencies are going to 9mm, it is less exspensive and with the amount of female LE increasing every year as well as males that have spent more time on a computer then manual labor/hard work. Add to it that the old way of going straight to an LE career from the military is not the norm today like it was in the past.
And you can see the major advantages a 9mm holds over .40 and .45. Ammo is better today, but the advantages of better ammo are not limited to 9mm, .40 and .45 are better today also.
I see the shift back to 9mm as just another sign of our country losing the strength and boldness that made us what we are. We created the .45 and the .40 because 9mm/.38 was good, but not good enough.
I still believe this is true, I own more 9mm pistols then .45 or .40. But when push comes to shove I'd rather have a .45 or .40 then a 9.
By the way my Depatment is sticking with the Glock 22/35.

#19 ·
I suppose we need to have LEO members contribute, particularly those who have some influence on weapon selection within their department. Otherwise we're all just giving opinion.

Reactions: Marshall
#20 ·
You asked what I though and I answered you, why do I have to document what I think? If the 9mm is so great why does the military want to go back to the .45? The original reason for changing over from the .45 to the 9mm was get in step with NATO and the rest of the world.

#28 ·
Mr. Gator suggested that all this discussion is mere speculation, and that what we really need is for some law enforcement officers to chime in with their official expertness. I disagree because I don't think a typical cop has any arcane knowledge that is superior to that of a normal citizen.

If the police are smarter than the rest of us, please explain why, and maybe toss a few nuggets of that constabulary wisdom down our way.

#29 ·
If the police are smarter than the rest of us, please explain why, and maybe toss a few nuggets of that constabulary wisdom down our way.
In my area there isn't a lot of expertise. In fact, many times I hear from newly vetted officers that the first time they even touched a handgun it was at MATC where many of their classes take place.

I think the difference between hobbyists and cops is that guns are a passion for us, but just a "tool on the belt" for working officers.

Hey, I do the same thing. If a geologist went through my waterstones I'm sure he would give me a history lesson. To me, rocks are just organic chisels.

This post has been deleted
This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.