Kimber Talk Forums banner

2/23/16 range report :-) but ???

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  cousinmark 
#1 · (Edited)
Today I was able to pick up the Pro CDP II 9 I had ordered (transfer guy was in at the range). Took her home and gave her a good once over, used the "Breakthrough" solvent and oil. No problems with the slide stop :) The guitar pick "shoehorn technique" worked like a charm. Made it back to the range with a few boxes of Fiocchi "blue box" 115gr FMJ, a few boxes of American Eagle 124gr FMJ (heaviest FMJ I could find) and two magazines. Checked both safeties, both good. One round in each mag, slide locked out. Two rounds in each, no full auto. Load 9 in each, look to be hitting well. A few mags later looks like I'm hitting left of target??? So now I'm about 40 rounds in and notice my front sight has drifted way right, I touched it and to my horror it fell off :-(
...ARE YOU SH@TTING ME !!!
It isn't broken, just wiggled out of the dovetail??? I pushed it back in with my finger but couldn't get it anywhere near center. Within a mag it was out again. I figured might as well shoot a little more, so I went through another box of ammo. For what it's worth, if you ever lose your front sight, aim a bit lower than you think you need to :)
Now the Kimber master dealer in my area is around the corner from the range. I had purchased my Micro there and gotten to know them a little so I dropped in to see if I could get the gunsmith to have a look. He was there and happy to press it back in for me at no charge. Since he didn't charge me anything I grabbed a box of Aguila 124gr. and yup, back to the range. No problems running the ammo but the sight had once again drifted to the right? I dropped back in the gun shop on my way home and the gunsmith confirmed it drifted. He said Kimber would send me a new sight, his thinking was that the sight was the problem? I've left a message for the Kimber sales exec I've previously spoken with as well as emailed the CS guy I've dealt with. we'll see what they suggest???
...GLASS HALF FULL :) if you don't count the sight thing, the CDP ran 100%, 150 rounds, 3 types of ammo :)
...the pics below are after cleaning and before setting out
...the target is at about 25' after the gunsmith pressed the sight back. Again, it drifted right again, I think the shots left are after it moved?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry to hear about the sight. That is what my Stainless Raptor Pro started doing after 1,500 rounds. Kimber had me send it back to them. It was back home in three weeks and is working well, now.

I think my wife wants a CDP Ultra. ;) We'll see.

Reactions: cousinmark
#5 ·
... 2/23/16 update

...spoke with a CS lady at Kimber she double checked with her supervisor. The verdict, send her in, so they can check everything over and be sure she's sighted in properly. So, looks like I'll be posting Micro range reports for a while :)

#6 ·
Well Just Damn!!

Looks like your new CDP is a shooter, if the front sight will stand still!! That has got to be frustrating, when everything else is working perfectly. I'm sure the folks at Customer Service will correct the sight issue.

I'm starting to think that Kimber may need some more personnel in their Quality Department or maybe they just need to allow the current employees to wear their glasses while on the job!! I'm just sayin'!!!

Cartoon Sharing Human body Happy Gesture

QUALITY INSPECTION TEAM???

Just kidding, but sometimes I wonder.........

Reactions: cousinmark
#9 ·
Good shooting and thanks for the range report!

The thing I can't figure out is the reports lately with loose sights. I love precision shooting and even with my three inch barrels I needed to adjust the sights on two Ultras just a tad bit. The heavy duty sight tool was strained to the max moving them. They are so tight they pop when moved. There is no way mine would move on their own. I wonder if something has changed?

#10 ·
I'm right there with you, Kimber has been know through out the industry for it's tight sights. There are gunsmiths that refuse to even try to move them, I had one tell me that he ruined his sight pusher trying to take one out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.