Kimber Talk Forums banner

Series ii Firing pins

5K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Mike240 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I googled for some better quality firing pins, harder steel or titanium. Anyone use titanium? I found a company on eBay that makes kimber firing pins. Price is for 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Why would I need/want to change? NOT had any problems with original Series II firing pins.

#7 ·
Thanks for having my back Glok.

Reactions: glokrok
#10 ·
The only real advantage gained with a titanium firing pin is to help prevent a discharge from dropping a 1911 muzzle-first. A series II Kimber doesn't need this, due to the firing pin block. Note that is says "70 series", which doesn't have the firing pin block.

There will be no gain in lock time, as that is determined by the mainspring and hammer. The firing pin is going to move at the same speed, regardless of the material it's made of. Resistance from the firing pin return spring would have more impact.

#11 ·
Kimber ii are series 70. Every part is 70S besides the firing pin and Swartz safety. Kimber is retarted and put 80S FPS on for who knows why. I replaced with Harrison HD-206, which fills that void that the Swartz safety plunger can get stuck and brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
I agree that Kimber should be using Series 70 type fps. I do not agree that they are Series 70 "except..." The except makes them non 70 and the Swartz makes them non 80.

Lock time is about accuracy and though the Ti pin may help some a Ti hammer and strut would help more. Ti parts tend to not last as long when engaging in other parts. The FP should be fine if the nose diameter is the right size for the hole in the breechface.

As already stated, Ti FPs are used for non firing pin block guns to pass the so called drop safe test. Springfield uses 9mm FPs of Ti in everything. Including 45s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.