Kimber Talk Forums banner

Need advice on a threat situation.

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Dude22 
#1 ·
My son and daughter in law are both licensed to carrry in the state of Michigan. They have 4 young kids age 5, 7 and twins 9. My daughter in law was at the mall last Saturday shopping with the four kids, around 4:30 as she headed out into the parking lot to go home she encountered someone following her yelling and acting strangely. Without going into a long story mall security showed up and restrained the guy. She was armed with her 9mm but she never thought about it, her primary concern was the kids, they were all within 6' - 10' of her and her only concern was trying to gather them together. This drew her attention away from the threat, and left everyone open to attack. I know that what she did was wrong but I also think this was a natural reaction for a young mother. This was something they never considered happening and now that it has my son asked me what they could do to prevent something like this happening again. The first thing I thought of was to teach the kids to immediately without hesitating gather behind them when either of them yell a code word. I suggested they make a game of it and practice it at weird times during the day when the kids are least expecting it. I don't know if this is the right approach to the problem but I do know that they need something. I know we have a lot of parents, grandparents and both active and retired LEO's and military. Can anyone offer suggestions on how to train for or handle this type of threat?

#2 ·
Her reaction is completely understandable. The issue she had at the time was that the kids had no prior instruction on what to do in such situations. Your comments, IMO, are spot on. The children must be part of and involved in the family plan for emergencies. My SIL has been LEO for many years, from local PD to Secret Service. His concern was that someone he'd met during under cover work would recognize him. So, they all have a code word they use to initiate immediate action. No conversation, just action. It's tougher when some are very young, but part of the plan would be for the 9 y/o to assist in ensuring compliance with the plan. Once the code is given, the adult must focus on the threat and assume the plan is being implemented.

Glad everything worked out, this time.

Reactions: MPO Southy
#3 ·
Interested in the response to this situation. Just my opinion but I think your first thought is pretty good but with a change or to. I would have the two older kids gather the two younger kids. Code word could work or the older kids are old enough to know when something crazy/dangerous is going down. Older kids get them all in moms car or at least behind cover away from mom while mom is moving and drawing her weapon. Six to ten feet is close enough Mom should have been more concerned, very surprised mall cops were that close and helpful. Lot of if's and what's and lot of ways that could have ended badly. Very happy that ended well.
My wife and I have talked about a few things like this, she does not carry. Her job is to distract (possibly tossing her purse away from us and not toward the bad guy) or just get in our car or some type of cover but for sure away from my position getting her phone and calling 911, because I will be moving/drawing my weapon and firing.
Maybe others have better tactical plans.

#7 ·
George, more training is exactly what the family thinks. The kids are a little young and you never know if they'll all be together or where they'll be so I thought it would be easier for everyone to remember to just get behind mom or dad. I really don't know so the first thing I thought to do was to ask here and see if any of our members have already crossed this road.

Reactions: bigdog10
#6 ·
Glad it didn't get worse than you stated. I've been thinking about getting a code word 'thing' going for my family. I don't want to have to worry about where they are if I need to address/focus on a serious threat. But I have another thought. She's carrying in a mall, is that mall a 'no guns allowed' place? Most are. If she's 'made' for carrying, it's not too bad. If she knowingly ignores their posting she's guilty of criminal trespass. Here's a list for you to pass on to your kids Chuck. MCRGO - Do Not Patronize while Armed Hope she's not too stressed over this. How long will it be till she goes back there?

#8 ·
Glad it didn't get worse than you stated. I've been thinking about getting a code word 'thing' going for my family. I don't want to have to worry about where they are if I need to address/focus on a serious threat. But I have another thought. She's carrying in a mall, is that mall a 'no guns allowed' place? Most are. If she's 'made' for carrying, it's not too bad. If she knowingly ignores their posting she's guilty of criminal trespass. Here's a list for you to pass on to your kids Chuck. MCRGO - Do Not Patronize while Armed Hope she's not too stressed over this. How long will it be till she goes back there?
Boy, are you living in the wrong state. Shopping centers and their parking lots are where EVERYONE should be carrying for personal protection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.