Kimber Talk Forums banner

A little Low and Left?

5K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Islander 
#1 ·
Anyone have an issue with their Ultra Carry II's shooting a bit low and left consistently at 7 to 10 yds. ?

I have about 200 through my new UC II and it has been flawless in terms of function. However, POI seems to be consistently 3"-4" low and left pretty consistently at 7 yrds with a variety of different loads.

I have shot several different brands of 185 gr HP...but primarily PMC 230 grn FMJ for the break in process.

Just wondering if anyone had run into this.

Thx for the input........

#2 · (Edited)
You're a right-handed shooter, right?

For me, firmer left hand grip and more trigger finger in the trigger guard (trigger contact closer to the first knuckle) Also, I started target shooting with one eye only, to removed any visual confusion I was having because of the poor indoor lighting. That helped settle down my sight picture and stopped me from jerking the trigger when I thought I was on target. Squeeze on exhale.

Anyway, that's what is working for me.

Font Circle Handwriting Slope Parallel

#4 ·
That's really nice shooting, PorcheVille. What's the distance on the silhouette?

My groups are much more open, but I'm working on it.

Reactions: PorscheVille
#5 ·
anyone can do that at 3 feet

#8 · (Edited)
Here is another target. I can't remember if it was the same day as the other. It may have been. Most targets I don't take pics of. Also 7 yards. (Indoor range. That is where it is lit. Next light is 50 feet....but down there the target seems to move just as I shoot.)

Attachments

#9 ·
Still, good shooting.

I've made a hole like that at 7 yards and at 10 yards, but there is usually a swarm of other holes surrounding it out in the 9 & 8 ring. :D

#11 ·
I like the chart! At one time or another I have had all of those problems.lol

Reactions: Insta-Gator
#12 ·
Yeah, but what I hate is when the chart or a person says, "it's your trigger finger" if I'm off target. OK, DUH, so what about my trigger finger? What do I change to fix it?

#13 ·
Thanks for the info Gator....Certainly possible I was pulling and causing the low left group. Grouping was good but clustered at about 9 o-clock.

Inquired because I "usually" fair pretty well in terms of sight picture, breathing and trigger control when I take my time which I was doing.

That said, it's new gun and I don't practice enough anymore to win awards. You guys know, it's a skill requiring maintenance. One can get good and maintain a certain level of expertise but the guy that has skill "and" practices regularly will prevail 9 of 10 times.

I am going to hit the range again this week and maybe take a suitable bench rest with me to take some of the guess work out of it. Always good to know if you got the yips.

I will update with results.

#15 ·
Try this!!

I've thrown this tip out before, but repetition is useful at times!!! :D:D

I had a friend that I shot with years ago. He was on the U.S. Army Pistol Team, now known as the Army Marksmanship Unit. He would use a novel method of dry fire practice with his .45 that works great!! ;)

This works best in a garage or basement or on a wall that you really don't care about. Place a piece of plywood up against the wall at eye level. Draw a 1/8" diameter dot on a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of printer paper, about 1/3 of the way down from the top of the smaller edge and attach it to the wood. Now pick out a newly sharpened #2 lead pencil. Unload, clear and visually inspect your pistol. Be sure that no ammunition is in the room with you. Rack the slide back to cock your 1911. Push the pencil down the barrel until it snugs up against the breach face. Using your sights, aim at the 1/8th inch diameter dot while holding the tip of the pencil about 3/4" away from the paper. Go through the standard trigger control practices: stance, breath control, sight alignment and trigger squeeze. When you "squeeze off a shot" the pencil will be driven forward by the firing pin strike and leave a mark on the paper. With successive shots, you will actually create a grouping. Just as with shooting real ammo, you should strive to make the smallest grouping possible. This method gives you dry firing practice and an immediate interactive record of your efforts!! It may sound silly, but it works!!

Let us know how it works for you!!:cool::cool:

Reactions: Phat
#16 ·
hmmm....interesting drill Lineman. I have put dimes on the top of revolvers and da auto's and various other drills but hadn't heard of that one.....I am going to try it.

Funny how many of the most common drills don't focus on trigger control. Load, reload, draw etc.

#20 ·
Back from the range....tested a few different loads in my ultra carry II using a bench rest to identify any potential accuracy issues.

Both 185 jhp and 230 rn shot well 2" from the 7 yrd line...supported that is...

Off hand no issues either... 2" (and a little change) :) Not sure I changed anything with regard to technique as opposed to the other day. Maybe just an off day the other day.

Anyway, problem solved.

#23 ·
Back from the range....tested a few different loads in my ultra carry II using a bench rest to identify any potential accuracy issues.

Both 185 jhp and 230 rn shot well 2" from the 7 yrd line...supported that is...

Off hand no issues either... 2" (and a little change) :) Not sure I changed anything with regard to technique as opposed to the other day. Maybe just an off day the other day.

Anyway, problem solved.
Good news! Practice, practice. Then buy another bucket of ammo and practice some more and HAVE FUN!

#21 ·
Yee Haw, problem solved. I like that. Wish I'd been at the range today. I have lots of ammo that needs the casings emptied.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.