Kimber Talk Forums banner

Kimber Custom II or Royal

16K views 57 replies 16 participants last post by  Insta-Gator 
#1 · (Edited)
They look alike but why the big cash difference? I know the Grips. Anything eles.

See less See more
#4 ·
Custom II

Highly recommend the regular old Custom II for value.

Highly recommend the Royal for sex appeal!

The Custom II is a great shooting gun, and I bet you can find one for around $700. You can then add whatever grips and sights over time, but much easier to get into at $700. People can correct me if I'm wrong on the current market.

You could be at the range next week :)

cap

#5 ·
I can't argue those points. A well-built, good shooting gun is all we can reasonably ask.

But how do you put a price on sexy?

Reactions: PorscheVille
#7 ·
All that hand polishing and hand fitting takes a lot of time that is where the higher price comes from, but with that the gun is smother and would be more accurate

#9 ·
Turnbull Restorations. Finishes said to be unmatched.

This discussion hits close to home because I will be buying a Royal II. Perhaps as soon as today. So why would I pay a thousand dollars more to have a Royal II?

First, there are those who are very proud of how cheap they can buy something. There is nothing wrong with that, I'm just not one of those people. That is why I'm on the Kimber Forum. I like quality, I'll pay more to get it and I am fortunate enough to be able to on occasion.

Second, I am an artist and make my living designing things - the fit, finish and overall look really matter to me. That is why I bought a 1911 and not a plastic gun. Kimber has a lot of models and after looking at every one for a long time, the one I think is the most beautiful is the Royal II. Is a gun a work of art? Is it a thing of beauty and lasting value? Damn right.

Third, do you ever notice which muscle cars are worth the most today? It is a 429 Mach I, not the base model Mustang with a six-cylinder. It is the Hemi Cuda, not the 318 model. It's the SS396 Chevelle, not the Malibu with the vinyl top. I see a gun as something to collect and hand down to my sons and their sons and I want the models that are the most desirable.

The Custom II is a great gun and it is a tremendous value. There is a lot to be said for that. But doing the same job for less money is one kind of value. When something makes people say "wow".... "I want one of those"....that is a different kind of value.

Finally, what something is worth is relative. When I was first married I was so broke, at my lowest point I sold my blood plasma once. It took hours, it was humiliating and when I got done, I got a check for, as I recall, $6.00. In other words, I have been poor but now I'm fortunate not to have to live paycheck to paycheck. And, I'm fortunate enough to be able to pay a bit more to get something really special. And you know what? I have worked so hard for so long, I feel like I f--king deserve it! :mad:

Attachments

#13 ·
Hell Yeah!!

I'm with you, PorscheVille!! I started as a dumb ass Lineman, for $96.50 a week back in 1973! :(:( I guarantee you I didn't buy many guns on that pay!!! Forty years, a college degree and a retirement as an Engineer later, I now buy whatever gun I dam well feel like!!!

Sometimes, the very best presents that you get are the ones "From Me To Me!!!":D:D:D:cool:

#14 ·
Well, I pulled the trigger on this deal and ordered the gun I have been lusting after. After I wrote that last post, I grabbed my change jar I throw my pocket change into and took it to the CoinStar machine to cash it in. There was $265. worth of quarters, dimes and pennies in there. Adding that to the rest of the cash I had stuffed in a sock, I had $1,300 bucks. I checked on GunBroker.com and one Royal had already found a home. I think that was the one the seller said took two years to get. There were three left and I bought one. They had one with the starting price at $1,769.99 and the Buy It Now price was also $1,769.99....so I ended my misery and made the buy. :):):) I'm happy.

Will I post pics when it gets here? What do you think? :D

Attachments

#17 ·
Tyler once said "We all work jobs we hate to buy sh** we don't need." But it is nice to see someone getting what they want the old fashion way. Hard work and saving. Porsche, a tip of my hat to you good sir!!

The one I saw at Friday at the LGS was 2100.00 plus 8.05% tax gran total 2269.05. I think you did dam well.

#26 ·
By the way, on the issue of the difference in finishing compared to the black Kimpro Custom II, the Royal II has highly polished flats and matte curves in the charcoal blue. That's a lot of work prior to putting the blue finish on. The barrel is also finished in blue.

Attachments

#30 · (Edited)
idiot scratch

Is this from twisting the slide stop and scratching the surface? I really don't like to think of myself as an idiot, but I think I may qualify here. Since I am the only owner...

Oh well. At least I shot, cleaned, and lubed it regularly, and being a stainless, not that visible. Would be more of a tragedy on the Royal...

#28 ·
well done!

Congratulations on "her grace". It is a great looking gun, and no doubt shoots straight too. There is so much to be said for how you feel about something. Different for everyone, but I suspect all being Kimber owners we generally share that view, that there is value in the details, and that beautiful craftsmanship is inspiring. I really want to handle one of those now and check out the bluing in person. Don't know that I have ever knowingly seen Turnbull work.

Also impressed with your method of buying. Much easier to put it on the visa.

I was going to log in here this morning to ask you sarcastically if you had bought the gun yet....but I see you don't let any moss grow on your back!

We are all eagerly awaiting pics and will live vicariously through you at the range.

cap

#29 ·
Can I like a post more than once?

Well played sir, well played.

I fell into the trap of buying something because of how cheap I could get it... the 650 spent my budget doesn't cover the Sapphire I saw for 1495.00 last week.

Now I am torn between spending some $$ to bling the Custom II or maybe let it go to a good home if I am going to get a Sapphire any time soon...

#38 ·
I put an ID-10-T scratch on my first Kimber. It was an Ultra CDP2 9mm and I loved that gun. I especially loved my fine point sharpie that hid that numb nutted flaw. I have long forgiven myself for the scratch but not for selling that sweet shooter. As a matter of fact, a Kimber 9mm is back on my bucket list.

And since we are all spouting off our opinions, if I had the choice between the Royal2 and the Sapphire I would snatch the Royal. I think it's one of the finest looking semi-auto's I have seen. IMHO of course(-:

#39 ·
The question wasn't

It wasn't Royal vs Sapphire, it was Royal $$$$ vs Custom II $$.

The Royal and Sapphire are apples and oranges, and in some ways so are the Royal and the Custom II.

The Sapphire is for my wife. It's a nice size & weight, and only a 9mm. She's happy with my Beretta 9mm, but I think she'd be hooked with the Sapphire.

If I owned a Royal, she'd never touch it! :)

#47 · (Edited)
Good to know Islander. This has been my first experience with them and I give them an A+.

For those saying WTF is FFF...they are Fin, Feather and Fur Outfitters. Somewhere up in Ohio. Some ppl on GunBroker want money orders or certified check only. It was either Jeff or Gary that said "ain't nobody got time for dat"....meaning a trip to a bank or store. FFF takes plastic and have FREE shipping. (They take AMEX which I prefer but some stores don't). Good price. Easy to work with. = Sale.

Btw, my preferred shopping method is lying in my bed, sipping a vodka tonic and doing my buying on an iPad with my credit card on the night stand. Which could explain why I'm getting fat.

#44 ·
IDIOT SCRATCH and the remedy..
I did put one on GiGi's Ultra Carry TLE and felt really bad when I got caught with the magic marker cover up.
That taught me a valuable lesson when taking apart both my PC2's and using a bit of electrical tape to cover that part of the slide..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.