Kimber Talk Forums banner

what do you guys use for practice ammo?

5K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  smithkowitz 
#1 ·
My Kimbers seem to like American Eagle 230 gr FMJ quite a bit. Back before the panic it was pretty inexpensive. I think it's a little harder to find, but I think it's pretty decent stuff.

#3 ·
For last few years I've had good results with Miwall reloads ammo I buy in bulk (250 or 500 rounds) at large gun shows in Arizona. Miwall is a California ammo supplier who sells at gun shows only, usually at "Crossroads of the West" shows.

As always, YMMV.

#4 ·
I hand-load the ammo my wife and I shoot. As has been the case with factory ammunition over the past few years, sometimes reloading components have been hard to come by or have been significantly rationed. That situation seems to have eased up recently, however. Reloading saves me about 50% compared to the cost of factory ammo. I load my .45 ACP rounds using 230 grain FMJ bullets and 4.5 grains of Alliant Bullseye powder. That combination produces a good cartridge for practice at the range.

#5 ·
Ever since the shortage I've become less fussy, I've had good luck with reloads from Freedom Munitions. When they are available I will buy 500 - 1000 rounds at a time, they also offer a brass buy back program. Good .22LRs are still impossible to find, I haven't seen CCI mini mags for sale in well over a year.

#6 ·
I use CCI Stingers in my Beretta 21a, but Stingers are hard to find down here.
last find was a 500 round "brick" of Stingers for $55 and that was before the ammo rush.

Probably would cost double that today....:)

#12 ·
I always shoot American Eagle but I'm a 9mm guy, I just picked up 2,000 rounds for $400 shipped, no tax

#16 ·
Anything that is on sale except reloads. Just picked up a sweet deal from Osage Guns and Target Sports usually has good deals and free shipping!

#18 ·
i use strictly 230gr Sellior & Bellot with all of my guns, runs great in .45 and 9mm. can usually catch a sale on a K at about $200 or less. This summer will be dedicated to just buying ammo, unless i find a smoker deal on a gun that i can flip quick. a K every 2 weeks of 9 and 45 should fill up the ammo only safe pretty quick.

#19 ·
Since this old thread seems to be staying current, I will get on the Chuck and Marshall train. Freedom Munitions is hard to beat, I use it almost exclusively, sometimes when we visit our friends in Villa Rica Georgia I stop by Georgia Arms plant and pick up 500 rounds of .45 or 9mm.

Reactions: Marshall
#20 ·
What do I use for practice?

Oh, the usual, pit-bulls running loose, evangelical barkers, lawn and weed spraying charlatans, anyone with a Hillary button, a Yugo (which I regard as a mercy killing), anyone who uses the term "social justice," and my Cousin Bobbie.

To save the good ammunition I use Freedom Munitions .45 ACP 'Hush' rounds.

#22 · (Edited)
I like to try all sorts of different brands, bullet types and grain weight. Usually continue to buy whatever is inexpensive and has proven reliable once I've done the aforementioned. Fiocchi, S&B, Geco, American Eagle, Winchester, Remington, Blazer, PPU, PMC, Magtech all work. Magtech is probably my least favorite, made the list in order of favorites. When it comes to testing HP's I like the 185 or 200 grain options. Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST, Remington Golden Saber, Hornady Critical Duty 220+p. I have noticed with practice ammo, the Blazer doesn't seem to be as consistent (accuracy wise) as Fiocchi, S&B, our GECO, and Blazer isn't always cheaper then those brands in FMJ. Magtech seems to be the dirtiest from my experience and they are no longer inexpensive like they seemed to be years ago. My experience with these brands, seems similar regardless of the firearm or caliber I am shooting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.