Kimber Talk Forums banner

My first Kimber, couple questions

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  azguy1911 
#1 · (Edited)
I plan on picking up a Kimber at my LGS or online in the next couple of weeks. I had a couple questions, this is my first FULL sized 1911 purchase.

First: I plan on using this as a Range gun, maybe competition shooting in the future, and possibly some conceal. ( have a glock 26 for that). I'm looking at the Kimber Target, TLE II, and Custom II. Of the three, the target sights seems to be a good feature for the range, however is it a good feature for handgun competitions, 2 gun, and 3 gun? Also, are there options if I don't like the Target sights to switch out to? I know if i was to choose the other two, I would have to have a smith mill off the end to have target sights fit.

Second: I know the kimber magazines issues, so i plan on purchasing some. I have heard a couple different things 1. If i use one style of magazine, such as a Chip magazines, I should just use that configuration of magazine compared to say a Wilson magazine with a polymer.
Any truth to that?

Third: Anything specific I should look for while looking at kimbers before purchase? I know about fitment most of all, rust etc. Are there any other "specific" things i should keep an eye out?

Fourth: Any specific tools I should pick up for maintenance? I would consider myself pretty new to 1911s, I've shot them, but never truly owned one. I do own several firearms, but have yet to venture to 1911s (crazy i know).

Fifth: Is 829.00 a good price for a All black Kimber Custom Target II? I don't have a price on the other two, but I believe the Custom II was 729.00.

Sixth: I noticed that some models for instance, the all black custom II and all black Target II are listed as California Compliance? What difference is there between the standard models and Californias?

UPDATE

Thinking it over and from responses, i think i'm going to lean towards picking up a Raptor. I'll put a little more aside and spend a little extra. I wanted a raptor from the get-go. I think i would be happier spending the extra up front getting what i want, then dreading not having gotten it in the first place.

Now for stainless or blued....

Thanks for any and all help in advance, and any tips!

See less See more
#3 ·
Can't give you much advice on competition shooting, but I'm sure others here can weigh in.

As far as magazines - my favs are Kimber & Wilson Combat. My least fav is Chip Mccormick - I only have 1 & none of my Kimbers like it (failure to feed).

For maintenance - the standard cleaning tools, a set of grip screw wrenches (1911's are fun to change grips on), take down tools of your choice. Most folks on here like the Wilson Combat flat recoil springs as a replacement for the stock Kimber spring.

Reactions: 2sharp2
#7 ·
I plan on picking up a Kimber at my LGS or online in the next couple of weeks. I had a couple questions, this is my first FULL sized 1911 purchase.

First: I plan on using this as a Range gun, maybe competition shooting in the future, and possibly some conceal. ( have a glock 26 for that). I'm looking at the Kimber Target, TLE II, and Custom II. Of the three, the target sights seems to be a good feature for the range, however is it a good feature for handgun competitions, 2 gun, and 3 gun? Also, are there options if I don't like the Target sights to switch out to? I know if i was to choose the other two, I would have to have a smith mill off the end to have target sights fit.

Second: I know the kimber magazines issues, so i plan on purchasing some. I have heard a couple different things 1. If i use one style of magazine, such as a Chip magazines, I should just use that configuration of magazine compared to say a Wilson magazine with a polymer.
Any truth to that?

Third: Anything specific I should look for while looking at kimbers before purchase? I know about fitment most of all, rust etc. Are there any other "specific" things i should keep an eye out?

Fourth: Any specific tools I should pick up for maintenance? I would consider myself pretty new to 1911s, I've shot them, but never truly owned one. I do own several firearms, but have yet to venture to 1911s (crazy i know).

Fifth: Is 829.00 a good price for a All black Kimber Custom Target II? I don't have a price on the other two, but I believe the Custom II was 729.00.

Sixth: I noticed that some models for instance, the all black custom II and all black Target II are listed as California Compliance? What difference is there between the standard models and Californias?

Thanks for any and all help in advance, and any tips!
1st: I recommend increasing your budget and move up your Kimber selection from the base/entry level pistols you are thinking about buying. All the models you have listed will work but the first thing you will discover is the sights are inadequate. Save some time and money get combat style night sights to start with. I have an old Colt Government that I had adjustable sights and accuracy work done on years ago and all of my Kimber pistols are more accurate. I wish I had a Kimber back when I was shooting 3 gun comps.

2nd: Don't believe everything you read/hear. I have never had a problem with the factory magazines that came with the 12 Kimber pistols I own. I use 8 round Kimber Pro Tac magazines as EDC spares. Save yourself some money and get from Ebay seller Joes1911magmania magazines, I use them at the range, they are good and affordable, a lot of us use them. Do some reading you will find several threads about Joes magazines. You don't have to use the same style magazine, at the range I use old Colt mags, no name mags, joes mags and even a Wilson or two.

3rd: No. Of course inspect well, but should not be any problems on a new pistol.

4th: No special tools for a full size. Torx wrench to tighten grip screws, right out of box I almost always find at least one screw that is not tight enough.

5th: I have seen some priced under $729 but I would say those are pretty common average prices in most parts of the country. You might find better prices on GunBroker.com.

6th: I refer this question to my California brothers, I don't think there is any difference in the pistols, they are just on "The List" that lets you buy them in California.

7th: For all the different things you want to use it for I would buy something in Stainless with combat night sights. Full size 1911's can be concealed carried people do it every day but it requires the proper gear and clothes to pull off correctly.
You should be able to get a Kimber in the $1,000 to $1,100 dollar range that you don't have to have anything changed on, just clean, lube and shoot.

Reactions: JC45 and Pops6116
#16 ·
I have the Stainless Ultra Raptor. The full size Stainless Raptor is one of the finest looking pistols Kimber makes IMO.

You may be in luck! Go to the "firearms for sale" topic. A member posted a Stainless Raptor full size for sale, wanted $1,100 which is a pretty good price. Not sure if he still has it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.