Kimber Talk Forums banner

Failure to feed

7K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Chuck43 
#1 ·
If you have issues with the new guys first post asking for help, then be warned that is what I am doing.

I have a Series 70 (K014XXX) Custom Royal that was my daily carry until yesterday. While shooting a qualification course this weekend I started having more and more failure to feeds. The round is not coming up the feed ramp and the is not going under the extractor. Some times a mag tap fixes it, other times I have to rack and tap, and other times I have to drop the mag entirely. By the end of the course I was the god of malfunction clearance.

I took the gun home the first night and totally stripped it. Feed ramp looks great, the extractor was radiused and held a round properly, and the gun had absolutely no indication of any problem. It is un modified and had been totally dependable until now.

Details:

Blazer Brass 230 gr ball
Chip McCormic Power Mags
80% failure on initial load from mags
No stovepipes or double feeds
Random fails during live fire
Colt, Kimber, and Pachmayer mags produced the same issue
All original parts and springs

See less See more
#3 ·
not a expert on 1911 but I would wonder about the round count on the recoil spring on my Kimber they say to replace it every 800 rounds, which I can go through in a couple of range sessions

#4 ·
The gun was clean going into the session and stripped and cleaned again that night. 250 rounds the first day. Gun was field stripped and cleaned that day, due to the malfunctions, after the first 150 rds. Gun was totally torn down that night, extractor was checked for function, and lubed and assembled. Failure to feed on the first loading the next day.

#12 ·
@bigdog

No, same ammo through out. I had to have 500 rounds of factory ammo for the course and the Blazer was what I could find at the time. I have a couple of thousand reloads that I know it likes. As soon as the news recoil spring hits the door I'll run a couple of hundred through it and see what happens.

I did call Kimber this morning and I am way past the 1500 round recoil spring replacement recommendation. The Kimber tech feels this will be the cure.

#13 ·
New recoil spring was the fix. Only fired 100 rds through it with the new spring, but 100% feed as of now. Old spring was 3/4" shorter than the new one and slide feel is now significantly firmer. I need a couple of hundred more rounds, but feeling positive so far.

#17 ·
Not that I know of, they are not listed on Wilsons page. You can try giving them a call and asking.

Wilson Combat:
Order Toll Free: 1-800-955-4856
Technical Questions: 1-870-545-3618
Fax: 1-870-545-3310

Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 AM to 5:30 PM CST

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.