Kimber Talk Forums banner

Do you carry with a round chambered?

14K views 32 replies 24 participants last post by  Old Timer 57 
#1 ·
Do you Carry the micro 9 with a round chambered hammer back and safety on? How do you carry?

Also will the micro 9 handle +P loads?

Thanks

#2 ·
I do and according to Kimbers website....Yes

+P ammo manufactured to SAAMI specs is fine to use as a defensive round or for occasional range use only. Our pistols are rated to handle +P ammo. However, we do not recommend a steady diet of them, as they are rough on the pistol and will accelerate the wear on the gun and may shorten the life of the recoil spring.

Kimber America | FAQ

#24 · (Edited)
That's what I love about my Flashbang holster -- none of you guys (well, as far as I KNOW :eek: :D ) wears a bra, so you won't be using the Flashbang as designed (neither do I, actually!) -- but the kydex shell is just the perfect size for carrying in a pocket (or small gym bag that I carry around the weight machines with me!). I left the smallest of the three suede straps on so the one-way snap doesn't rattle or get lost. But you can see the shell covered the trigger very well, and you have to 'snap' the gun out, so it won't come out by mistake. (That's my .380 Micro; got a Flashbang for the 9mm too!)

May not be as good as an actual pocket holster, which should guard the trigger and let you use one hand to draw the gun out; but I like that it's form-fitting to the gun.

Attachments

#19 ·
I would never carry any pistol that I would have to have both hands free to get a round off. Single action locked and cocked safety on, double action loaded round in the chamber safety off. Safety off makes it just like a revolver to me. It took me a while to get used to the locked and cocked, something about the hammer cocked. Until I realized that the 1911 style pistols are designed to be carried that way.

#21 ·
Condition 1.

Reactions: Markie
#22 ·
To the OP, I always have my gun loaded and racked with safety off.

With regards to +P rounds, I agree with Marshall, that if you do use them, don't use them often.

+P rounds create more chamber pressure, a larger muzzle flash, more noise, and will wear down your pistol faster. They're unnecessary. My Micro 9 can't handle the stress of REGULAR rounds, let alone +P rounds.

I also agree with Albert.Cairns. The Federal Hydra Shok 2 (HST) is one of the best performing rounds. It is also readily available and affordable. Nothing like having to search high and low to find someone who has your ammo in stock.

The objective a hollow point defensive round is not velocity or noise or big flashes. Too much velocity can prevent mushrooming and over-penetrate, which can go through your target and cause unintended loss of life.

The goal is for the round to penetrate to do maximum damage without traveling through your target. Lighter and pressurized rounds tend to over-penetrate and under-expand.

The HST in 147 grain will consistently expand and penetrate 12-18 inches, the FBI standard.

Here are some 9mm ballistic results. It's a good read... with nifty pictures of test results.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#9mm

Federal makes 124 and 147 gr American Eagle rounds, which are $.25 a round and the exact specs as your carry HST round. So you can expect the exact feel and response from your practice rounds as your self-defense, carry rounds. No surprises. It's a great combination.

#23 ·
^^^^ What he said.

Over penetration is a very bad thing. You may win the gun fight and lose the courtroom fight with the collateral damage.

That is one reason I chose the .45 PDX-1. I doubt it will penetrate a grown man, but it will make one big arse hole.

#26 ·
^^^^ What he said.

Over penetration is a very bad thing. You may win the gun fight and lose the courtroom fight with the collateral damage.

That is one reason I chose the .45 PDX-1. I doubt it will penetrate a grown man, but it will make one big arse hole.
Over-penetration is an overblown internet fear. While I believe you should be aware of your target and what's behind it, there are bigger things to worry about. I'll take penetration over expansion all day.

#25 ·
djo 34 was that a mistake? Loaded racked and safety off? And SnoTao you bring up that you don't wear a bra? I had to put a cold compress on my forehead for an hour !!! And lastly, maybe +Ps will shorten the life of the gun but my thinking is it very well may shorten the life of a roach who is robbing you or attacking you also. Just my opinion. And back to SnoTao..................oh never mind. Highbrow what do you think ?

#32 ·
Nope.
I don't even carry a clip in the gun...:D
LOL!
I'm gonna let them call their lawyer, exercise their liberal rights.;)
Take cover and tremble; because I have a Kimber!;)
As I slowly load, rack, and aim.
Only then will I blow their arse away!!!!!:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.