Kimber Talk Forums banner

NRA Gun of the Year - Kimber Pro Carry II

10K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  StrongArm67 
#1 ·
I am the proud new owner of this gun and it is really nice. Too nice though (in my opinion) to shoot.
I'm not rich but I'm not dodging bill collectors either. With that said, I'm a shooter, not a collector.
Hoping some of you Kimber fans can provide some insight as to what I should do:
Keep it and put it up? Not a real fan of this because I enjoy shooting

Sell/trade for something else that I wouldn't be afraid to shoot? Thinking I could trade for a couple of more moderately priced pistols that I can enjoy

Shoot and enjoy regardless of the fact that are a finite number of these pistols? Worried about the consequences of shooting something that may be worth more someday if it can still be called "new in box" down the road...

Constructive opinions and input is appreciated and respected.

#2 ·
Shoot it and enjoy. Any gun that goes unshot is a waste of money. Yes, it's a nice gun, but it's a production gun, not a hand-crafted one of a kind. Not a collector's item.

Welcome to KT.

This post has been deleted
#4 · (Edited)
Insta-gator and I had a similar conversation. One great aspect of firearm hobby is that you can get a gun, shoot it, and if taken care of, it will hold its value pretty darn well. What else is like that? How much will a $1200 tv be worth in 5 or 10 years? You will have so much fun shooting that gun, if you decide to sell it will be all upside. Load up and shoot!!

Reactions: Insta-Gator
#9 ·
I understand the reluctance and the dichotomy of your concerns. It's so nice you want it, it's so nice you want to hide it in your sock drawer.

I used to buy two identical knives, look them over, and polish and then carry the one with the most flaws. The "best" one was usually sold off to clients.

No says you should 'abuse' the pistol. Clean it, buy a decent holster, if something breaks or scratches it, just get it fixed as you would the family automobile.

Just enjoy it. And if you're looking for "safe queen" style cutlery, I have plenty of boat anchors on the shelf that should be hidden in the sock drawer of your house...

#10 ·
Tourist, you are right on the money! There are other issues as well such as the fact that I'm a lefty and for some reason, 1911 mfg's don't much care for us.

Another thing, I can see the possibility of selling or trading for 2 good quality pistols so that my wife and I can upgrade our daily carry guns with little to no money out of pocket.

Like I said, I'm not rich, but I'm not penniless either and the thought of selling or trading for 2 nice guns vs keeping one awesome that I would be afraid of damaging, is weighing heavily on my mind....oh well, I have plenty of time to decide. Thanks again for your input, it is appreciated!

#13 ·
Welcome to the site from Tennessee! I wouldn't buy a gun I would not shoot or a race car I wouldn't race or a motorcycle I wouldn't ride...well you get the message.
I have bought and sold a few guns over the years. I have NEVER had to sell a weapon for less than I paid for it. On a few occasions back in the day I have bought pistol's at gun shows and carried them around for a few hours then sold them before I left for more than I paid, now it may have only been as little as 25 or 50 dollars but it was still more. I would never "trade-in" anything to a gun shop, but that's just me.
Just because you shoot them don't mean you abuse them!
Guns are one of the few items in life that for the most part will not loose value. The exception would be a gun that was junk to start with.

Shoot the hell out of it and enjoy that fine Kimber, but don't abuse it, you will be fine.

#14 ·
Amen man from TN!

I'm guessing "technically"...I bought the gun...however, I don't want to be misleading about it. My wife and I were at our local Friends of the NRA banquet and I bought a $20 ticket...low and behold, I came away with the aforementioned NRA Gun of the Year.

Regardless, I understand what your saying and I value the perspective from others, like myself, that have a love of guns!

#15 · (Edited)
My 2 Cents Worth!!

I know where you are coming from with regards to that new Kimber pistol. I am a shooter, not a collectors. Collector's items were not meant for course hands such as mine!!!

Considering that you only have $20 invested in that gun and it seems that you would feel guilty about shooting it or carrying it, by all means SELL IT!! There is a buyer out there drooling to own that piece of history and is willing to pay to get it. I'd go with an asking price of $1250 and work from there. You are in the driver's seat on this one!! I would give GunBroker a try and see if it sells. Last choice of all would be trading it in at a gun shop. They are there to make money on what you trade in as well as what you trade for. I know. I am a horse trader from way back. I have traded a ton of guns to individuals, at gun shows and with gun shop dealers. I just look at it from the stand point that I am getting something that I want and like and pay no attention to the fact that I have come out on the losing end of the financial deal. I enjoy shooting what I have obtained and I know that entertainment costs money. I have a hell of lot of fun and don't worry about the money!!! ;);););) Maybe I should list them on my income tax forms as "gambling losses" or "entertainment expenses"!!! Hmmmm! :D:D:D:D

Bottom line; sell it and buy what you want for you and the Mrs. You will be happy and so will the guy that buys that NRA-Gun of the Year commemorative pistol. That beats the hell out of you fretting over scuffing it while using it. Three happy people beats one ulcer by a long shot, every time!!!

BTW, welcome to the forum from beautiful downtown Monroe, Georgia!!!
Sleeve Font Rectangle T-shirt Automotive decal

#30 ·
Hey Gmountain,
Thank you for that! This was a great explanation of a great group of people that do great things for the up and coming shooters.
The night I won the gun, my wife won the Ted Nugent autographed guitar. Both the gun and guitar were great things to bring home and the local 4H shooting club personally thanked her afterwards saying that their half of the funds from the guitar auction would support their shooting efforts for the rest of 2015.
As for the gun, yes, it is done up nice. However, like I said, I'm a shooter (USPSA Production Division) and I want to get in to either Limited, Limited 10, or Single Stack and by selling this gun, I can get in to that with very little money out of pocket.

#31 ·
If it was me I would keep the gun just to look at. I don't think I would shoot it because I'm sure it would attract a lot of attention at the range and as bad as I shoot I don't need people watching me. Just out of curiosity if you sell it and use the money for another gun to shoot USPSA Production Division what gun would you get?

#32 ·
Hey there Canonshooter,
I already shoot Production Division and I'm wanting to get in to single stack, limited, or limited 10 if I sell the Kimber.
What production gun? I would get the same one again that I shoot now. That is the FNS-9L. However, if you are in to all the neat little mods that can be had, stick with Glock or S&W M&P Pro as there is an abundance of aftermarket parts for guns like that. Additionally, keep the steel frames in mind like CZ too. At the end of the day, it's all about personal preference and reliability. With that said, the FNS has several thousand rounds through it and I couldn't be happier!

#34 ·
It kind of surprised me to hear you say FNS-9L, I would have guessed S&W M&P. I know a couple guys that swear by the FN's none shoot competitively though. I came very close to getting a FNS 9 compact just about a month ago.

#33 ·
I have been left handed for about 65 years so far, praying for a few more years. In that time I have carried & fired the 1911 frames for close to 40 years. I only had to Improvise, Adapt and Overcome! I don't think the Marine Corps Drill Instructor really cared if I was left handed. The 45 was not a problem, the M14 on the other hand was a tad of a problem. Right side of my neck looked as if I have 50 hickies! Again the DI didn't give a hoot!

#35 ·
Mr. Deputy347k9,
Thank you for your service! My wife has a 1st cousin that is a Warrant Office in the EOD...Much respect to you both! I agree, lefty shooters in a right hand world can be a pain in the neck...LITERALLY!!!

Cananshooter,
Yes, I bought the 1st one and started competing with it and eats everything I feed it but it especially likes cast lead (MBC) 147g LFP. I bought the L and it is the same and the trigger is even better.
As far as the C goes, I have heard mostly good and I plan on that being a carry gun at some point.
Being surprised about mentioning the L for competition? Check out Dave Sevigny...If it's good enough for him, it will be more of a gun than I could ever completely master...

Thank you both for your input and have a great day!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.