3K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  oz white 
#1 ·
What's the best gun you ever spent your money on?😁
What's the worst gun you ever bought?😩
I'll go last.

#4 ·
What's the best gun you ever spent your money on?��
What's the worst gun you ever bought?��
"Best" is subjective. For me, it's dead-nuts reliability, shootability, and concealability. It's not about value or rarity. It's got to be the HK45C.

The WORST is easy. It's a @#%@$%*! AMT Backup Pistol. It was the most awful POS imaginable. I think it was a five round magazine, and it would NEVER get through that many without a jam. It was so unergonomic that the pain you endured from firing it was probably no less than the pain felt by the terrorist you just shot. And the slide-bites were so frequent that I probably bled more than any terrorist. It's been thirty years, and I'm still bitter about that gun.

#5 ·
Worst handgun was a Taurus PT945. Slide bite was the biggest problem aside from I hated the double/single trigger. It's one of two guns I have ever sold. Worst long gun and the other gun I sold was a Walther G22 .22 bullpup that never did reliably make it though a full 10rd magazine. I had high hopes for the G22 as a suppressed shooter. Oh well...

I have a few 'best guns' depending on criteria.

Best carry gun... hands down best ever is my LCP simply because I'm willing to carry it all day everyday which I have never been willing with any other gun (all much bigger).

Best recreational range gun... would have to be the one that gets the most trigger time, and that would be my Ruger .22. Just love the dang thing.

Best long gun... Yankee Hill 5.56. I've changed it quite a bit since purchase. It gets more trigger time than my other rifles combined.

Best looking gun... Solo.

Attachments

#6 ·
Best : UZI, 9mm, Semi (Best I've ever owned)

Worst: Rossi Ranch Hand in 44 MAG (It wasn't fun, it was an experience!)

#8 ·
I’m going to say the best was my Ultra TLE II 45 because it just impressed me after my first range trip and at $699 I couldn’t ask for more.

The worst was my S&W Sigma 9mm. It wasn’t a bad gun as far as reliability but that trigger was just awful. The pull was extremely heavy but what can you expect for a $200 pistol. I wish I knew about Apex back then because they do have a spring kit to help reduce the trigger pull weight.

#11 ·
Best from back in the day: Colt Python
Best from last 10 years: Kimber Gold Combat Limited Edition

First mistake I bought a long time ago was a .22lr semi auto pistol that looked like a German Luger but it didn't function like one, I can't remember what brand it was, never could get it right sold it. Around that same time I bought a Government sized Norinco .45, failure to everything, could have been the old surplus ammo I was using but got tired of messing with it.

#12 ·
BEST - Well, this thread has been dead for a while and I said I would go last so I guess now is the time. Although I've only had it for three months I would have to say the best pistol I've ever spent money on is the Sig 229 Legion. First of all it's an all metal pistol except for the G10 grips which I think they designed using a cast of my own hand as their model. It has to be the most comfortable pistol I've ever held. Being all metal and having a magazine capacity of 15 rounds it balances very nicely. It has a DA/SA SRT from Grey Guns. It has the smoothest double action pull that I think can compare with the best of them. And the single action pull as crisp as snapping a glass rod and the reset is very short. It's tactile and audible even over the ringing in my ears.
Accurate, reliable and a joy to shoot; I think this is a keeper. It has earned a most respectable place in my small arsenal as home protection, nightstand gun.
I knew right away when I held it at the gun shop that I had to have it and went home to bring back a couple of my polymer guns to trade in on it.
It now sports a SureFire XC2 laser/light combo.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Airsoft gun

WORST - Solo (nuff said)

DISCLAIMER - My opinion is not to imply that these are the best nor the worst pistols ever produced they are just my opinion from my own experiences.

PS - I should've shipped it to Chattanooga Phil for a better picture.

#14 · (Edited)
Thanks Phil. #1 cause of rust=NEGLECT
Noticed that it's only rusty in the corners of the slide serrations and within the lettering on the top of the slide basically and crevices where corrosive liquids will accumulate and be the last to dry? Looks to me like all the pictures he took were the left side of the pistol which is probably holstered up against the right side of body (88-90% chance he is right handed) exposed to sweat and then put it away wet. Then a few weeks later he picks the gun up and discovered it's got rust on it; well no $hit.

#15 ·
If my memory serves me correctly there was a fella who posted on the forum about his Kimber rusting the same way, under the grips and in the corners of the slide and if I remember he lived in Florida where it's very humid and people sweat a lot and I'll bet you a dollar to a doughnut that it was sweat that caused the rust by putting it away wet. I learned that lesson decades ago.

#16 · (Edited)
The best, out of the box, no changes is my Kimber Classic Stainless which I bought at a gun show in MD for $600 in the 90s. Maybe '95. It came with black rubber grips, which I still have, but I love double diamond rosewood. I still have it, and while it is mostly a safe queen now, when I take it to the range it always gets some oohs and aahs.

The worst was a Taurus (no surprise) PT709 Slim which I bought when I first started concealed carry. It had the WORST trigger I have ever shot with. The trigger reset was about 3/8 inch. It was the first gun I ever sold.

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
My 2¢ Worth!!

I'm going to throw a monkey wrench into the works here. The best pistol I have ever owned was a Smith & Wesson Model 15 .38 Spl. It was a WWII issued Army Air Corps sidearm, complete with lanyard ring. Me and my close personal friend "Mr. Hacksaw" made short work of that!! I purchased it at a gun show in West Palm Beach, FL.for $115!!

It had the smoothest double and single action trigger I have ever experienced on any revolver. It's accuracy was second to none, with .38 Spl. loads. But I made a strange discovery while getting set for a match. I found that I had no .38 caliber bullets. Rummaging through my inventory of assorted projectiles, I came up with a box of 500 swaged 125 grain lead round nose 9mm bullets. With no other choice available, I loaded up 100 rounds. My idea was just to compete. I was under no delusion that these rounds might actually be accurate.

In addition to them being extremely accurate, I also gained a slight technical advantage. Any time there was a shot questionably close to the line, having an official scorer shove a .357 diameter scoring plug into those .355 diameter holes usually produced a score one point higher!

Amazingly enough, I won that match with my $115 WWII relic!! I had replaced the factory issued small grips with the S&W magnum grips which are much better suited to my "meat hook" sized paw!! I can't remember when I sold or traded it, but I sure wish I had it back!!
Air gun Gun barrel Trigger Gun accessory Revolver
<----Smith & Wesson WWII Army Air Corps issued Model 15 .38 Spl.

As for the worst pistol that I have ever had, that would be a Ruger LCP. There is no fault with the pistol!! The fault lies with my previously mentioned meat hook of a hand. The pistol is so small that by the time I have pulled the DA trigger through it's full travel, my trigger finger is actually touching the heel of my thumb in my palm. This is not conducive to good trigger control or accuracy.

I let others shoot it and it proved to be accurate enough. The fault was mine, not the gun!! I sold off what had looked like the best possible answer to the requirements for a concealed carry pistol. I now have stepped up in size to a S&W M&P40 Shield and a Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II for my concealed carry needs. The LCP was simply too small!!!

Hand Finger Gesture Trigger Sharing
<----LCP in my PAW!!

#18 ·
My worst was a used Kimber Solo. It literally never fired, the first round jammed live and I could not get it out. I bought, it cleaned/lubed it, took it to the range and back to the gun shop in less than 90 minutes. It all ended well as they gave me a new Micro 9 in exchange on the spot and I love the Micro.
My favorite is my Colt Trooper Mark IV 357 brushed nickel but my newly acquired Ultra Raptor 45 is quickly catching up.

Mike

#21 ·
Best would be the Raptor Custom; the darn thing makes me look like I know what I'm doing.

Don't really have a worst; always figured you got what you pay, for so never bought the cheap stuff, saw too much of that come across our seized weapons when I was doing the tracing.

Reactions: bhunted
#23 ·
Can’t say what is best. I don’t buy junk and I think all my children are best.

Can’t say I had a bad, (worse) gun I can ever remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.