Kimber Talk Forums banner

Anyone In the market for a Solo ?

6K views 39 replies 16 participants last post by  The Tourist 
#1 ·
New member. Looking to find a buyer for my solo.

#4 ·
Some here on the Forum think the Solo is the best defensive handgun ever invented. Some here are of the opinion that is the worst POS ever manufactured and sold to the public.
I am sure someone would be interested in it. Take some pictures, give us some information on round count and a little history; what model it is and how much you want for it.

#8 ·
Be advised that since you're a new comer nobody knows you; you don't have a history with any of the members here it may be difficult to broker a deal.
You know that Kimber dropped the Solo from their line mainly because of all the problems they had with them. However there are some folks who might want one as a collectors item.

#16 ·
If anyone is interested please post your email and I'll contact you directly.
I think at this point everybody is interested. However, to weed out the lookee-loos and get some serious contenders you should tell us what you're asking for it.
Also curious why you want to get rid of it after one year.
Anyone seriously interested can send you a private message (PM) on the forum.

PS: be advised that if there is anything wrong with the pistols fit, finish or function; call Kimber Customer Service because they have been known to correct issues like that even for secondhand buyers and pistols out of warranty.
For example troublesome Solos have been returned to the buyer with a complete "Yonker" job to include rereaming of the chamber, polishing of the feed ramp, new recoil springs, new extractors etc.
In some cases if they cannot be fixed to the customers satisfaction they have offered a full MSR credit toward any of their other products. So if you were having issues with the pistol that is your best course of action deal with Customer Service.

#12 ·
Buy my Solo...Bhahahahah.

Welcome to the site from Tennessee. If you haven't been welcomed already.

#14 ·
It seems you've stirred up the Solo haters who sit at their keyboards looking for an argument. All the bad-ass real-deal Solo packing operators are out protecting our shopping malls from skateboarders and teenagers groping each other inappropriately.

But seriously, I would be interested. First, you have to be in California because I can't bring a Solo from out-of-state. Secondly, it would have to be really cheap because I fully intend to do some serious gunsmithing on it, which might result in ruining it altogether... worse than a Solo is right out of the factory.

#17 ·
Actually, I did send it back to Yonkers. As I was experiencing jamming. They replaced the small spring that the slide stop slips into, and returned it, No more issues.. I have all the correspondence with Kimber as well.. The Solo fires great with 124 and 147gr ammo. This was my first hand gun. I knew Kimber had stopped production when I purchased the Solo, what I didn’t know was all the Solo nuances, like replacing the recoil spring more frequently, as well as slide stop and spring installation that requires such precision. I’m concerned if I damage these parts, if needed, will not be available?? This is why I was possibly looking to see if there is any interest in someone purchasing the Solo and I would move on and purchase a new 9MM CC.Maybe I’m
wrong and I should keep the Solo.
Convince me otherwise..

#18 ·
Honestly I don't think you're going to get the kind of money you would want to for a pistol that's been dropped from their lineup and is known to be problematic. Personally I would not offer more than $300 for it because I just bought a new Micro 9 with Crimson trace laser grips for $600. and it has been perfect in every sense. If you don't get an offer close to what you paid for it I would just keep it. In 20 to 30 years it might start to increase in value as being a collectors item. It's too bad you didn't join the forum and sought some advice before you bought it. Anyway, wish you the best of luck.

#20 ·
If you decide to keep it or if I had it and I decided to keep it I would order at least two more recoil spring assembly's at the very least. They're not that expensive and then you'd have them if they ever ran out of stock at Kimber. If you can afford to I would keep it; put it in the safe and hand it down to one of your grandkids someday as an heirloom. But remember before you put it away, if that's what you do, take the batteries out of the laser grips so that they wouldn't corrode or leak overtime.

PS: don't take all the kidding personally. If you read through the old Solo forums you'll see that it has created more controversy than any other gun or any other brand on this forum to date. Some folks love em some folks hate em. There isn't anybody without a strong position or opinion on the now extinct Kimber Solo.

One more thing for you. I noticed your serial number is pretty high you can call Kimber and find out the date of manufacture by giving them your serial number. I think you have a pretty recent model which is a good thing.

#22 · (Edited)
I like it a lot. It's all stainless finish with fiber optic front sight and white dot rear and has the Crimson trace laser grips and it's the same format as all other 1911s minus the grip safety. So it's a platform I am very familiar with and it's not much bigger than the Solo. When they first came out some of them had problems but with the new recoil spring assemblies they designed, actually copied Sig SAUER design, they work just fine. And like I said I bought mine for about $600 with the CTC LG.
Also they are very user-friendly; the magazines are much easier to load the slide is much easier to cycle and it's got that beautiful 1911 style Trigger.

#28 ·
I have two Solos (and a bunch of other Kimbers) and they both run just fine. The only problem is with an occasional false trigger reset on one.

I have been carrying a Micro 9 on occasion, and recently picked up an EVO. Rider's Range is in the process of doing a video comparing the Solo and the EVO, with the Micro 9 and possibly a Kahr MK9 tossed in. That video should come out in the next couple of weeks.

In the mean time, here is a short video of the EVO working out at 50 yards:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.