Kimber Talk Forums banner

K6s SA/DA shoots very low

6K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Super Dave 
#1 ·
Don't if I'm the only one having this issue but with standard or +P ammo the gun shoots about 6" low at 13 yards using my range bag as a rest. Any suggestions as to what might be wrong. Need some advice. Thanks

#5 ·
I'm having a similar issue. Got mine with 3 dot sights and everything was fine. Then I got the kimber fiber optic sight and I'm shooting about 2 inches low at 7 yard. I tried man different kinds of ammo. All shoot low. I had other people shoot it, one guy from a rest. All shot low. I sent the gun to kimber who sent it back with a poorly shot group from their "expert" tester. Kimber says the sights are within spec and they can do nothing for me.
Long story short. I measure both pair of sights and found a difference of almost .5 degrees between front and rear sight, translating to a 1.86 inch difference at 7 yards. Kimber still maintains that it is the shooters problem...all 8 of us flinch exactly the same way and consistently with every shot...
Thanks for nothing kimber.

#7 · (Edited)
I was shooting low with my early-production K6S, 2" barrel. .38, +p, .357: all very low even at very short ranges. Barrel was straight.

I doubt it's flinching, though I do test for my own flinch by filling half the cylinders with empties, spinning the cylinder, closing, and shooting. When I get a bit tired, a flinch shows right up when triggering an empty round. I also am training myself for center and not six-o-clock hold. The groups center better and I'm now practicing with plain white paper plates, on the theory that a bull actually hurts accuracy. In SD shooting, no burglar or thug wears a bull at center of mass, anyhow.

OP might try other ammo in the caliber to be used regularly, then go the Elmer Keith route and grab a file. Filing down my gun's overly tall front ramp did the trick. I took off a bit of metal, shot, repeated, shot again. Now it consistently shoots to POA at the ranges for which I train with this pocket gun.

FWIW, every other revolver I own shoots to POA: Ruger, Smith, even Taurus 85 tackle-box gun. Grant Cunningham did great work with the K6S, but he must have left the building when they designed the sights.

#9 ·
Its sighted for 158gr. .357 mag at 15 yrds. According to kimber. The fiber-optic variant has a lower rear sight and has much more lower impact. Its not just you, if you want to shoot 38s out of a 357 your gonna have to make some changes. Just as those that shoot .22 short from a rifle that says .22lr on the barrel. Or kinda like shooting .223 different impact than 5.56 nato round.

#10 ·
Not that I like changing my sight picture, but I have found an acceptable alternative for shooting my K6S. I align the sights so that the front dot is at the top of the rear notch. Looks like a pyramid. So far, so good, at most common distances...10yd to 30yd. POI=POA.

#11 · (Edited)
Its sighted for 158gr. .357 mag at 15 yrds. According to kimber.
I wonder if there's any difference how Kimber regulates the short and longer barreled guns. I'd call Kimber and see what they use for your barrel length and test it using the specific ammo & distance they use.

I'd be curious to know if you find that info.

I found a 4" difference in elevation between 158 grain bullets and 125 grain at 25 yards. There were velocity differences and that probably had a lot to do with it since the faster bullet will shoot lower.

https://www.kimbertalk.com/forums/kimber-revolver-forum/61256-range-report-k6-dasa-3-a.html

From my experience, I think consistency is key when shooting from a rest. Another factor is having confidence in your technique. If my thoughts are off or I'm not in the groove then groups will widen.

This is my bench rest setup. I always rest the butt on the sandbag and find that the easiest for getting steady hold.

It works for me. I shot these groups last weekend when testing a new gun.

The elevation was 2" or 3" low on the left target and was right on with the right target. I'm pretty sure the difference in the two groups was due to an unintentional change in grip / wrist tension...but it was consistent for each group.

Out of curiousity I once shot a group at 50 yards with a weak grip and compared it to a group with a strong grip and the elevation difference was significant.

Good luck in fine tuning your gun.
Dave

#14 ·
Groo here
The K6s is a light for round gun.
Grip and follow through will change poi greatly.
As the gun is a short range defensive gun the groups and poi
can differ greatly and still be good to go.
A playing card or 1/2 piece of paper is fine.
[ yes,I would like my guns to all shoot 6 shots touching a 7 yds.
But sometimes that is not in the "cards"...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.