Kimber Talk Forums banner

New Evo

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  If1Hitu 
#1 · (Edited)
:cool:they’ve made a good striker fired this time.

#2 ·
CRJ, welcome to the site from Tennessee.

#3 · (Edited)
I have not had any issues at all with my Evo but I cleaned it first. I am around 400 rounds or so at this point.

Critical Defense is another matter, the first round from a full mag the little rubber tip will snag causing a nasty jam that a tap rack will not fix. Once properly loaded they run just fine, but I won't use them in the Evo. In the (unlikely) event I have to do a reload I want something that is 100%.

It's not just Critical Defense either. While the gun will "run" anything I have tried, that first round from a full mag reload is another matter. To my disappointment I found Sig V Crowns hang up even worse than the Critical Defense.

Ammo that feeds no matter what? So far for mine, anything with a Hornady XTP, Federal HST's, Gold Dots and Underwood Nosler hollow points. I'm sure there are others but those are what I have tried successfully so far.

I can't for the life of me figure out why Gold Dots slick right in there and V Crowns won't, they look very similar, but there is no fooling the gun so something is different.

Evo is a great gun, Kimber's redemption for a small striker fired 9mm.

This post has been deleted
#5 ·
XTP's and all ball ammo I've tried have been flawless after first cleaning. Very pleased with gun. Guess I'll have to use up my inventory of critical defense ammo in shields.
That's what I did with my Critical Defense. My Micro 9 just didn't like it, even with a polished feed ramp. I use it in my other 9mm truck and carry pistols (Glock 19 & Shield).

#4 · (Edited)
CRJ, before you give up on Critical Defense ammo, you may want to consider a minor polishing job on that Micro 9 feed ramp.

My Micro 9 fed the CD ammo flawlessly, but being an inherent tinkerer, I could not resist doing a polishing job on the feed ramp.

The pistol will now feed virtually anything I stuff into it without any issues whatever, and gives a bit more confidence in that regard. After discussing this with Kimber CS, they were not pleased, but told me such minor work will not affect the warranty.

Couldn't resist giving the barrel hood a little touch also:

Just something to consider. :)

#6 ·
Still enjoying mine as well, it is getting more carry time now too. Trust it completely.

I just bought a Sig P365XL on Saturday. Features are awesome, there really isn't anything quite like it but....the Kimber clearly is a higher "quality" piece. Love them both though, will be interesting to see if the Sig is as reliable as the Evo has been. Time will tell...

Actually can't believe I even bought another Sig after my 938 disaster but like I said there just isn't really anything like the 365XL.

#7 ·
I just bought a Sig P365XL on Saturday. Features are awesome, there really isn't anything quite like it but....the Kimber clearly is a higher "quality" piece. Love them both though, will be interesting to see if the Sig is as reliable as the Evo has been. Time will tell...

Actually can't believe I even bought another Sig after my 938 disaster but like I said there just isn't really anything like the 365XL.[/QUOTE]

I have carried a Micro 9 for 2 years without any issues. I bought a Sig p365 about a month ago. I picked up a couple of the 12 round mags and after about 400 perfect rounds with various 115 gr range ammo and 115 gr Critical Defense it is now my edc pistol. It is a great little pistol.

This post has been deleted
#11 ·
Shot some Underwood Nosler's today, flawless as I expected. Will likely make this my new carry round for the Evo. This is Underwood's standard pressure round, which would probably be closer to +p for most brands. Not +p pressures but on the warmer side of standard for sure.

Seems the Evo will shoot most anything but if you really want to see what it likes, load a magazine completely full, insert it with the slide locked back and then try to slingshot to chamber a round. This is where Critical Defense rears it's ugly head as not a good choice for the Evo. Sig V-Crown even worse in mine. Everything else chambers and runs with flying colors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.