Hornady Ammunition - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > The Ammo Can

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2016, 11:37 AM   #1

Hornady Ammunition

I've always carried 124 grain Federal HydraShok, but saw some good prices on Hornady Ammunition, specifically Hornady Custom 9mm Luger Ammo 124 Grain XTP Jacketed Hollow Point and Hornady Critical Duty 9mm Luger Ammo 135 Grain FlexLock any first hand reviews/feedback.

718.jpg

3217.jpg
Markie likes this.
azguy1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-21-2016, 11:44 AM   #2

I have a lot of this stuff, worked well in my Solos. Ammunition Depot has this on sale from time to time. And in 50rd boxes.

Always be ready - 5.11
Hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:07 PM   #3

Yes this is what I carry. Works great in the Solo.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2016, 12:45 PM   #4

I've shot a few hundred rounds of the 9mm and the same for the .380 - my guns seem to like it. I also purchased 500 rounds of the Freedom Munitions XTP, which looks the same but is much less expensive. Not sure what the differences are between the two other than the Hornady fills theirs in.
Chuck43 and Markie like this.

You can tell alot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans. - Ronald Reagan
Spotly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:50 PM   #5

I've used the Custom 9mm 124gr in several different guns and it functioned fine. I've also used the FM XTP ammo that Spotly mention and that also worked well. The price was also very good. Everything I've ever purchased from Hornady has worked well.
Chuck43 likes this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:23 PM   #6

I shoot XTPs in all of my short barrel pistols and have had good experiences with Hornady Custom, American Gunner (same stuff?) and also Fiocchi. They seem to feed better for me. I may be wrong, but I think it's because the bullet ogive is closer to the base of the bullet than some others...and hence, closer to case opening when loaded. Compare the shape of the XTP to a Federal Golden Sabre and you'll see what I mean. Which one looks like it would slide up the barrel ramp and allow the gun to lock into battery better? Again, I may be wrong on that but it works for my brain. The XTP also does pretty well (in general) with Ballistic Gel tests...not the best in expansion but pretty good and always gets way up in there. They are loaded in my EDC mags.
goodoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:25 PM   #7

Works good in my Solo also.
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:33 PM   #8

I've used the Critical Duty in .357 SIG, and can attest to the lethality of the round when used against such dangerous adversaries as sheets of paper, aluminum cans, and blocks of wood. They don't stand a chance.
Zoomybaby and Outerlimits like this.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:51 PM   #9

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
I've used the Critical Duty in .357 SIG, and can attest to the lethality of the round when used against such dangerous adversaries as sheets of paper, aluminum cans, and blocks of wood. They don't stand a chance.
Some paper can be quite menacing.

Zoomybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:05 AM   #10

Hey AZ, the old Federal Hydro shox were indeed very popular and still are in many circles. I switched to the 124 HST as FBI testing has shown the HST to be a very good bullet!

Re Hornady, when the first batch of Critical defense came out, it had primer hardness problems that caused some handguns to misfire. I heard of a Browning Hi Power recently that refused to pull the 135 into battery? Seems crazy. Anyway, I know of a few people that carry the Hornady and like them. I have shot a couple of boxes of the Critical Duty and Personal defense to test a new gun, but other than that. Of course as one observer noted, there are some vicious papers out there and the Hornady ended all those conflicts!

God bless America and keep us free! Isn't it great to have these choices?
Rangemeister is offline   Reply With Quote