Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > The Ammo Can

Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By Chuck43
  • 4 Post By Marshall
  • 1 Post By Donald

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2016, 10:49 AM   #1

Range ammo

I've been using Hornady Critical Defense for normal carry in my Micro 380, and it performs well (since the new recoil spring was installed). No problems with it. I've been using Winchester white box for the range because of price--but it gives a few problems every now and again--such as the dreaded failure to lock back, and every now and again a stovepipe. Hornady: flawless, WWB: sketchy in my Micro.

Any suggestions for a good range ammo for .380? Thanks in advance.

80 deuce

Last edited by 80 deuce; 07-11-2016 at 11:23 AM.
80 deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #2

Your question with the lock-back problem vs ammo brand brings more questions in my mind. You see I now have 4 micros and the last couple of months I have been shooting literally hundreds and hundreds of rounds through them. I too had a really ornery micro at first. Now they shoot everything I've put through them including WWB.

I had a few initial problems that were remedied with springs. But I then had a few lock back problems. I had purchased six 7 round extended magazines, 2 at a time. An unbelievable probability was that the first two would occasionally not lock back. Usually after several mags fired. When I received the second two the problem went away. I got the next set and they performed fine. I marked a big ole X on the bad ones and occasionally try them...yep, still bad. One of my micros was much more sensitive than the others with them. I had ordered a set of slide stop springs from Kimber America (3 for $5.95), actually there were 5 in the pack, and replaced it in the finicky micro along with a new slide stop pin. It helped and made it on par with the others with the bad magazine. This is just my opinion but when assembling the micro slide stop pin through the barrel kidney and after lining up the notch on the slide position, be sure and press the pin back in place from a straight up position until you get a slight click and not a slight upward slide into place like I was used to doing on my Ultras. I think these little springs are pretty dainty and the old little spring would not give a slight click like the new one does.

Now as far as my personal choice of ammo after trying so so many looking for a super clean burning at a fairly reasonable (not dirt cheap) price I discovered HPR sold at Cabelas. A made in USA ammo, hand inspected, hand boxed, even the box made in USA. The 100 grain FMJ and the 90 grain JHP are the best I have ever found and especially the cleanest period. There's my 2 cents.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPR.jpg (1.48 MB, 9 views)

Last edited by fifthgear; 07-11-2016 at 01:07 PM.
fifthgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:08 PM   #3

Thanks for the input, Fithgear. I'll for sure check the info out. I have one Micro, and one Super Carry which would work if I put sticks and stones in it--which is why I was surprised at the Micro being such a pain in the a**. See my initial post,
"failure to lock back." The Micro is always fired with the extended magazine; on the range or for carry.
Your $0.02 worth may be worth 10 bucks!! Thanks,
80 deuce

Old 07-11-2016, 02:19 PM   #4

Originally Posted by 80 deuce View Post
Thanks for the input, Fithgear. I'll for sure check the info out. I have one Micro, and one Super Carry which would work if I put sticks and stones in it--which is why I was surprised at the Micro being such a pain in the a**. See my initial post,
"failure to lock back." The Micro is always fired with the extended magazine; on the range or for carry.
Your $0.02 worth may be worth 10 bucks!! Thanks,
80 deuce
If you don't mind me rambling on, this is as good a place as any to tell you what I found with the original slide stop. You see in the picture the slide stop pin on the left is the original and the pin on the right is the new one. If you notice on the blown up picture you can see on the new one there is a little slit cut into the metal where the spring end goes. My others have varying degrees of this slit and the problem one has none at all. The loudest "clickers" have the deepest cut. With the original I could pull back the slide to the notch and turn on it's side and ALMOST shake the pin out or at lest a fraction of an inch. Long before I bought my first Micro I had read of owners having problems of the slide pin coming lose and some even falling out. I had read where one guy took a diamond wheeled dremel tool and cut his own slot. Now they seem to come with a slot. You think Kimber reads these forums? Maybe they do.

I still think the spring is dainty. LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slidestop.jpg (998.9 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by fifthgear; 07-11-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:33 PM   #5
Super Moderator

For the last 4 years for range ammo I've shot nothing but Freedom Munitions in my .380, 9mm and ,45 caliber guns and contrary to popular belief I'm not a shill for them. LOL
Marshall, 2sharp2, Markie and 1 others like this.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:05 PM   #6

That's good to know. I'll take a look tomorrow--I just had it all apart for cleaning this evening after yesterday's range day. I'll check it out in the morning and let you know what I find. BTW, nice, clear, photo: and I agree--the spring, even my new "yellow" spring, does indeed look dainty.
Chuck 43--Those are the calibers I shoot also, and .22 of course. I'm buying a box of the .380 in the morning. Guys, thanks for your inputs.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:12 PM   #7

Originally Posted by 80 deuce View Post
That's good to know. I'll take a look tomorrow--I just had it all apart for cleaning this evening after yesterday's range day. I'll check it out in the morning and let you know what I find. BTW, nice, clear, photo: and I agree--the spring, even my new "yellow" spring, does indeed look dainty.
Chuck 43--Those are the calibers I shoot also, and .22 of course. I'm buying a box of the .380 in the morning. Guys, thanks for your inputs.
Uh OH! You said new yellow spring? Do yourself a favor....contact Kimber America and tell them you want the new flat wound spring and new guide rod. You'll thank yourself for it and they'll send it to you free.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:14 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
For the last 4 years for range ammo I've shot nothing but Freedom Munitions in my .380, 9mm and ,45 caliber guns and contrary to popular belief I'm not a shill for them. LOL
What Chuck said...I'm approaching 15K rounds of the ammo and wouldn't change a thing..

This ad brought to you by [email protected]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12642830_1046675205355376_7094874610236478627_n.jpg (93.1 KB, 6 views)
Chuck43, jonh1373, JC45 and 1 others like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:46 PM   #9

Regarding range ammo for the Micro, off the top of my head, I'd say most 95-100gn bal ammo is best. I have recently been pleased with the HPR 100gn ball ammo: minimal issues and USA made. It's list price is high, but many stores like Cabelas, Dicks, Academy and other places have it on sale and marked down significantly. Dicks had it for $24(?!) and marked down to $15 if I recall correctly. I have had decent results with the Sig 95gn ball ammo as well. That is another brand that I grab while walking down the ammo shelves, because I am sucker for price reductions. That stuff is on sale frequently for a few bucks off the normally higher list price. Freedom Munitions 95gn ball has worked very well for me. I also have used Federal 95gn ball as well.

As for my Sig P238, well, its eats any 380acp ammo I feed it without a belch.
starnovi likes this.
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote