Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > The Ammo Can

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Marshall
  • 1 Post By Noylj
  • 1 Post By ky wonder
  • 1 Post By Hammerhead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2017, 05:06 PM   #1

So I went to academy today intending to buy critical defense 115 grain. Unfortunately they were out of stock but happened to have Critical Duty 135 grain in stock. So I purchased that. Basically my question is I was reading that the critical defense is better then critical duty for small carry weapons is this true? Kind of new to all of this, would appreciate any feedback. Also I read that the compact and full size can handle the +P how about the micro? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Justin91; 01-26-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Justin91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-26-2017, 05:43 PM   #2

I don't have a Micro 9 so I don't know for sure but I would try it and see how it functions of your pistol. The critical defense was designed to penetrate heavy clothing and not getting a hollow point clogged with material before it expanded. The critical duty was designed to meet all of the FBI barrier penetration tests.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:19 PM   #3

Page 63 of the manual states....

NOTE
Although this Kimber firearm is capable
of functioning with +P ammunition in
the appropriate caliber for the firearm, a
steady diet of +P ammunition may affect
the wear characteristics, shorten the
life and endurance of your firearm, and
necessitate more frequent maintenance and
replacement of parts

http://www.kimberamerica.com/media/w...2-16_FINAL.PDF

In my Micro 9 I have been using the Winchester Law Enforcement Ranger 147 grain as my edc ammo...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0673 copy.jpg (190.8 KB, 15 views)
fragmatic likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2017, 06:32 PM   #4

Here's a YouTube playlist of shootingthebull410 doing 9mm ammo tests from a 3" barrel using a Sig P938, which is equivalent to the Micro 9. Critical Duty was one of the first tests. It really over penetrated. I use it in my Ruger P89. It does great in 4-5 inch barrels. I wish I could find a cheaper source for Critical Defense since that's what I carry in my Micro 9. Academy seems about as good as it gets where I live.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=...DMgd-w4Yozc27i
shockfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:08 AM   #5

+P is not that big a step up in pressure (what, about 2.5 to 3ksi) or velocity, so it isn't like your pistol will self-destruct (it is still well under proof load pressure). However, constant firing will accelerate wear.
Next, it doesn't matter what you carry--what matters is HITTING the target. Thus, I worry more about accuracy than bullet performance as any hit in a vital area will do the job and any hit in a non-vital area will most likely NOT do the job.
fragmatic likes this.
Noylj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:58 PM   #6

I bought a box of hornady 124 +p yesterday to try it in and my wife's micro 9,
the gun ran it but it was not as accurate as a 115 grain load,
so it will only be ran with the 115 gr stuff from now on,
according to the box it was only producing a 50fps,
advantage over the 115 standard stuff I was shooting
fragmatic likes this.

Last edited by ky wonder; 02-01-2017 at 02:00 PM.
ky wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:01 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Justin91 View Post
So I went to academy today intending to buy critical defense 115 grain. Unfortunately they were out of stock but happened to have Critical Duty 135 grain in stock. So I purchased that. Basically my question is I was reading that the critical defense is better then critical duty for small carry weapons is this true? Kind of new to all of this, would appreciate any feedback. Also I read that the compact and full size can handle the +P how about the micro? Thanks in advance.
My comprehension is that Critical DEFENSE is marketed to law enforcement because it's designed with a little less expansion, but more barrier blindness than ther Critcal DUTY.

Check out the Ammo Quest series of videos on YouTube (below) where they specifically test Critical Duty.

My pick is Federal HST, though they shifted their recommendation to Ranger T loads over the HST due to deeper penetration - however my personal results, as well as testing from LuckyGunner, suggest that penetration is better than they got from their test.

fragmatic likes this.
Hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
best ammunition for kimber micro 9mm
do critical duty 135 grn 9mm cycle in a kimber solo
how does hornady 9mm critical defense cycle in a kimber micro 9
kimber micro 9 ammo
kimber micro 9 ammo recommendations

kimber micro 9 ammunition

kimber micro 9 recommended ammo

what self defense ammo works best in a kimber micro 9
Click on a term to search for related topics.