Hmmm, is this the right place? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > The Ammo Can

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2017, 11:13 AM   #1

Hmmm, is this the right place?

There isn't a 'buying a gun safe' area at KT...

Anyway, I just sent this off to SecureIT at [email protected] I'd very much welcome anyone's additions, ideas, suggestions, hysterical laughter... whatever... I added the links here in case you want to see see what I'm suggesting.

Hey y'all!

I'm still sad you're not ready to make a handgunner's (i.e., half-height) version.

(Three pix attached: two of my current way-too-small and not secure enough Stack-on 'safes' just to give an idea -- not that you probably need one; and an example of an 'ammo shelving rack' I'm suggesting.)

Still looking covetously at the Model 52 and I had a thought....
https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/p...ight-gun-safe/

Since it comes with:
  • Heavy Duty steel cabinet
  • Six upper saddles with bungees
  • Three stock bases

And:
Since handgunners have no need for the long-gun fittings...

Would you consider offering a "handgunner's conversion kit" with the model 52 -- which trades out the long-gun fittings for stuff we need a LOT more?

I'm a small manufacturer myself (Micro-Metrics.com) so, for these example / suggestions, I'm using your list pricing in my calculations. I completely support you NOT offering a 'pick your own accessories' option (that would be a logistical nightmare!) -- but you could offer, say, three "standard handgunner kits" as replacements at varying price levels. (And you'd no doubt want to question a bunch of handgunners about what THEY would best like in such a kit... I can only suggest what would suit me.)

If you were to swap out:
Three stock bases @ $21.99 = $65.97
Six saddles with bungees @ $12.99 = $77.94
Total credit against the $599 = $143.91 New total for the Model 52 sans fittings. = $455.09

The handgunner kits could be something like these.

The Basic Handgunner kit:
Pistol peg mount $69.99
Two metal storage trays $49.98
Large bin with divider $13.99
Medium bin w/divider $7.99
Small bin with divider $4.99
Total addition: $146.94 New total for the Model 52 with Basic Handgunner kit: $602.03

(This gives your customer one of pretty-much-every accessory to start -- to whet their appetite for what they want to add on.)

The MOAR GUNS Handgunner kit:
Two pistol peg mount $139.98
Metal storage tray $24.99
Large bin with divider $13.99
Medium bin w/divider $7.99
Small bin with divider $4.99
Total addition: $191.94 New total for the Model 52 with MOAR GUNS handgunner kit: $647.03

("Moar" is a common 'joke' spelling amongst Gen X, Millennials, and Gen Z. Not sure "cute-and-funny" is your style at all. Could use: "Intermediate Handgunner" or "Committed Handgunner"?)

The Handgun Armory kit:
Two Pistol peg mount $139.98
Bin Kit 34BN $99.95
Total addition: $239.93 New total for the Model 52 with Handgun Armory kit: $695.02

A thing that I'd really like, that you don't offer (yet?), would be a 'sits on the safe floor' shelving unit for stacking up ammo. I'm imagining something like those old-timey metal horizontal 'folder racks'? Example pic of the file rack attached, but I'd want it nearly as wide as the cabinet (but still easy to put in and take out,without having to remove half the stuff in the cabinet!) -- and the shelves not so steeply pitched toward the back.(It's not wine bottles; it's boxed rounds! {wink})

In the pix of my Stack-ons, you can see the shelves hold three-high of the plastic ammo boxes (and the plastic middle shelves sag under the ammo weight). Might get four-high of cardboard. The 'file-holder' metal could be strong enough to hold four-high? And maybe come in two heights: 12" and 24" (or as needed to fit the ammo boxes)?

Anyway, I LOVE your Model 52; I'm trying to figure out how I would want to modify it to suit the needs of a no-long-guns / several pistols (and more to come!) person. Because of the price, I'm hoping you will consider 'handgunner mods' to make the safe closer to what I would want and need.

OR, maybe less optimal for you; more usable for me/handgunners: sell the Model 52 WITHOUT the fittings for $450. You'd still get people needing your accessories/fittings -- but you'd lessen the resistance of: "do I HAVE to buy $150 worth of unusable gear to get the *totally usable* safe?!" (which is what I am struggling with.)
So, I'd love to hear (well, read!) what all-y'all think about my suggestions. Lay it on!
El
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gunsafe-1.jpg (333.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Gunsafe-2a.jpg (353.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg fileholder.jpg (8.7 KB, 6 views)
starnovi, Longhorn and Elf1 like this.
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-22-2017, 12:02 PM   #2

Wow! Quick answer from them. Got my fingers crossed the TPTB will respond favorably to my request for the handgunner's mods! Nothing on the web yet about the Model 40, so I'll keep an eye out. (They have a 'fast box' 40 -- but it's horizontal: not interested.

Elenor,

I want to thank you for sending us that email. I must admit it was very interesting to read especially because you offered a well-thought, and well-supported suggestion. We take customer feedback very seriously and outstanding customer service is our top priority, so when someone sends us a suggestion we take it very seriously.

I can tell you that at this point we are releasing a newer version of our Model 52 and a new product, the Agile Model 40 (a separate product from the Fast Box 40). Because of these new releases, we are on a small hiatus from making other changes, to give the releases our full attention. As a side note, the Agile Model 40 is 1 ft. shorter than the 52 so it may be the solution you are searching for when you asked for a "half-height version".

However, I personally agree that we should have an option for "hand gunners". I will present this suggestion to our product development team, and our upper management. In the meantime, please let me know if there is anything I can help you with. I will check on that Kimber talk forum link and see what other suggestions people make.

Ryan Kiggins
Old 09-22-2017, 02:33 PM   #3

Good for you SnowTao...I'm a firm believer in letting manufacturers know we want in a product. Looks like your suggestion will result in a new product offering that meets the spec's you outlined. Good work!
OGCA - Life Member
Cybercycle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2017, 09:45 AM   #4

Originally Posted by Cybercycle View Post
Good for you SnowTao...I'm a firm believer in letting manufacturers know we want in a product. Looks like your suggestion will result in a new product offering that meets the spec's you outlined. Good work!

Thanks! But do you have any suggestions? Are you a handgun-only type? Or would you be interested in a hand-gun only safe? I'm real impressed with their 'build quality.'
Old 09-26-2017, 11:57 AM   #5

I like it, I would go for the handgun armory kit but would like more shelves myself.

AMERICA WE HAVE A PROBLEM
wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:14 PM   #6

I'm afraid I can't offer up any suggestions, but based on their response, I certainly will keep them high on my radar when I buy a safe, which shouldn't be too much longer. I like supporting the little guys, especially ones that seem to care about their customers.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:45 PM   #7

Originally Posted by SnowTao View Post
Thanks! But do you have any suggestions? Are you a handgun-only type? Or would you be interested in a hand-gun only safe? I'm real impressed with their 'build quality.'
I believe you are "on track" with what you see in a good handgun safe. I have built my own with the racks and shelving that fit my needs, but it would be nice to see the safe and handgun storage manufacturers come to market with more offerings. I think what you did by letting a vendor know what they can do to address a need was great. That's the only way they will find out. BTW...I keep my long guns separate from my handguns though many of my handguns are "deployed" to their designated, easy to reach, places where I might need them. Those not deployed are in my safe.
Bobtuba likes this.
OGCA - Life Member
Cybercycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:56 PM   #8

I'm with you, Cybercycle. I've got handguns all over the place, including on my person. A handgun in the safe is not doing me much good. Of course, maybe I just need to buy MORE so that the deployed locations are all full, and the safe is full, too.
Jflytle and Cybercycle like this.
Bobtuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:07 PM   #9

Oh good Lord guys -- they just emailed me: they're are having an inventory clearance: TWO for ONE of the Model 52. So, for $599 (plus UPS shipping -- for me, in GA (from Seattle) shipping was $72 (!!) but it's 210 pounds of stuff!) I sent a mock grumbling email to the guy I emailed before... I was NOT intending to buy one so soon!! (But, hey! Two-for-one; kinda hadtah, doan cha know!)

https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/g...ight-gun-safe/

The email said:
** Warehouse Moving Sale!
------------------------------------------------------------
We're moving one of our warehouses and liquidating the inventory. Purchase an Agile Model 52 today and receive a second Agile Model 52 for FREE! This offer is being made available to subscribed SecureIt Team members prior to being open to the general public and will only be available while supplies last. Don't miss out on this limited time offer and take advantage today.

But at the link above, the two-for-one is already listed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg model52-1.jpg (198.2 KB, 5 views)
2sharp2 likes this.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:26 PM   #10

Here's more on the safe: https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/p...ight-gun-safe/

More pixs and ideas: https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/g...-storage-bins/

Oh, Why did I think they were in Seattle:

Address:
6691 Commerce Blvd
Syracuse, NY 13211
Toll Free: 800-651-8835
Email: [email protected]
2sharp2 likes this.

Last edited by Ice-and-Snow; 09-26-2017 at 03:32 PM.