Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > The Ammo Can

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Rangemeister
  • 4 Post By Chuck43

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2018, 01:17 PM   #1

Caution, WalMart Federal 9mm, 100rd box

I took my Micro 9 out today with a 100rd box of Wal Mart Federal 115gr brass range ammo. After I shot 50 rds of Nato Winchester 124 without problems, 20 Federal HST, all with no issues, I had several problems with the Federal range stuff. I looked at the rounds individually and noticed several of the 60 or so I had left, there were three mis-stamped. By that I mean the slug was stuffed into the brass a bit crooked, leaving bits of copper hanging on the side of the brass, causing failure to go into battery. Out the hundred, probably three/four total. Good price, but cheaply made. Maybe they were rare?
Chuck43 likes this.
Rangemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-15-2018, 02:51 PM   #2

That's strange, but coming from Walmart its nots surprising, I have long suspected that most of what they carry is factory seconds. Since they won't sell ammoor firearms to anyone under 21 I refuse go in there for anything.

AMERICA WE HAVE A PROBLEM
wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:08 PM   #3
Super Moderator

If you still have the box and some rounds left contact Federal. They will usually request the box and compensate you with a couple of free boxes of good ammo.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:53 PM   #4

Yes, ammo manufacturers are quite good about taking care of you; they don't want you spread word that they make junk after all. I had some Winchester 22LR that they forgot to put powder into; just had the rim primer or very little powder. I actually watched the bullet fly out of the barrel, and then bounce off the paper target 7.5 yards away! It only left a dent in the paper! As previously stated; they requested the bad ammo I had left and any casings if I had them (I did) and then a copy of the purchase receipt. They sent me like $20 in a check I believe. They also paid for the return of the bad product. And I was compensated for slightly more than I had spent, as I recall. PS - my purchase was from Cabela's not Wallyworld. Only bought ammo from Wally's once, it was Fiocchi brown & green box on clearance, worked great (9mm 50 rounds for $7.99 each, 2 years ago).

Last edited by smithkowitz; 03-15-2018 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Add copy.
smithkowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:54 PM   #5

I haven't had any problem running it through my Micro- I think it might be a bad box, but not necessarily a bad choice.
Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
hodge5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:42 PM   #6

Originally Posted by hodge5 View Post
I haven't had any problem running it through my Micro- I think it might be a bad box, but not necessarily a bad choice.
I think that may be the case. I chucked the rounds I had and the box since I shot all the 100. I did think about saving the info and for some reason didn't. The good news is after I weeded the few weird ones out, I got about 130 rds done range without incident. I did discover that when using my loader, if I used it on the 2nd or 3rd round, it crammed the spring down at such an angle, the rounds could not recuperate and would jam at the throat. When I loaded the first 4 or 5 then used the loader, no problem. Bye Bye cheap A#$ loader......
Rangemeister is offline   Reply With Quote