Expansion in 9mm 3" Barrels - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > The Ammo Can

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2018, 09:27 AM   #1

Expansion in 9mm 3" Barrels

Recently I was pondering just what kind of expansion I could expect from either my Kimber Micro 9 or my Sig P938. So off into the desert I go with water filled one gallon plastic milk jugs to find out for myself.

Results were identical with both the Kimber and Sig. Impressive using 115gr Critical Defense FTX. Jugs were lined up in a row touching each other and shot at seven yards.

My Sig P938 with recovered bullets:

All recovered bullets penetrated a total of five jugs, for a total penetration of about 35" in water. Bullets all expanded perfectly, looking like magazine ads:

Looking at the fired bullets, I think it's safe to say that "yes Loretta, we indeed DO get reliable expansion from our 3" EDC's".
What was really a show, was the light 90gr bullet load at 2,000 fps in the Civil Defense load....wow! All shooting was done at 7 yards, and I did not get wet until I unleashed these wicked little babies. I got soaked at 21' away from the jugs! What an aquatic show it was!

The milk jug in question shows exactly what I'm referring to:

Only one jug was used, and the bullet exited and was not recovered. Not sure now this load would work being fired through thick clothing, but it sure did perform in a spectacular way in a water filled milk jug.

Defense ammo for the 9mm sure has come a long way. Results shooting the FTX in my Kimber Ultra CDP in .45 had the same results. Expansion in the .45 resulted in bullets measuring over .60 to .70 caliber.....impressive to say the least!

We've got some great ammo options available to us today.
Chuck43, bigdog10, JC45 and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Rick in Oregon; 04-14-2018 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Double post
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-13-2018, 09:54 AM   #2

Nice report Rick ammunition has advanced a lot and I feel it is going keep on advancing in the coming years. I am not sure but I think smart ammo may be coming I know sounds a lit far fetched but so did landing on the moon and of course when obama was elected that just proves anything is possible!
Rick in Oregon, wayne and Durf like this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:26 AM   #3

Great report Rick, I've been hyping the Liberty Civil Defense ammo here on the forum for awhile. I did some serious range work with the LCD, Hornady, Fed and Sig 9mm defense loads. And NOTHING compares to the LCD, 50grn, at 2000 fps. Absolutely devastating impact on every medium I've tested it on.

But I also love the light carry weight and really low recoil. I'd use this for competition ammo if it weren't for the cost. The only negative I can find is that is REALLY LOUD.

I've been carrying the LCD ammo in my S&W J-frame and Sig 320 sub and for over a year and won't carry anything else ... I'm a fan.
Rick in Oregon likes this.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2018, 04:20 PM   #4

This is an excellent post Rick! It's non political and very educational. I spent an hour just conducting research based on your post. Outstanding! I'm so glad we can still find posts on this site that have nothing to do with the fear mongers thinking the government is going to take their guns! Very refreshing indeed!

Semper Fi

Kimber Ultra CDP II .45 ACP
Kimber Stainless Micro 9mm
Old Timer 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:38 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Nice report Rick.
Rick in Oregon likes this.

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:23 PM   #6

Great report, Rick. That's damn near perfect expansion. It's just those damn 5" government guys that bash our little 3" 1911's
I'm a 1911 addict -- GI CCO 9mm, WC Sentinel Compact 9mm, WC ULCC 9mm, WC Professional 38 super, WC Stealth 38 super, WC Bobtail Professional 9mm, DW CCO 38 super, DW CBOB 38 super, Kimber Ultra Aegis 9mm and a little Sig P938
azguy1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:14 AM   #7

Thanks for the results. You might want to consider the permanent hearing loss that would result from firing a supersonic bullet in a confined space such as a room or from inside a vehicle.
Phonejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:36 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Phonejack View Post
Thanks for the results. You might want to consider the permanent hearing loss that would result from firing a supersonic bullet in a confined space such as a room or from inside a vehicle.
Yes, that is indeed a factor that needs considering, but also consider that firing in that confined space would be the result of an extreme emergency situation that could not be defused by any other means.

My ears ringing for a week with the subsequent hearing loss would be much more preferable than the potential outcome had I not fired my weapon in that confined space.

Unfortunately, we cannot choose where a potential life threatening situation may occur.
wayne likes this.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:09 PM   #9

Groo here
Anyone try Federal 9BPLE ????????
Groo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:50 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Groo01, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote