Critical Defense ammo - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > The Ammo Can

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2018, 02:32 PM   #1

Critical Defense ammo

Went to the range the other day with my newly cerakoted Ultra CarryII
after a few rounds 150 or so, I dropped in a box of Critical Defense ammo just to prove it, since I've never put it through this 1911 before. I typically fire JHP's from another maker, no rubber tip. Well hand racked it and the rubber tip on this bullet acted like a door stopper, literally. I guess the adhesion of the tip grabbed the feed ramp and well, I was stuck. Had to slam the slide from behind to feed it. This is my EDC, one of them, and if I had to change mags in a fury, I'd be in deep $h!t. So, the ramp is polished to remove the coating, as it was before, the FMJ's of course, by design are no problem. So I have 3 boxes @ $23.00 acting as shelf ornaments, a reminder to fire what you carry. Question is ....I'm not the only one thats had this issue ?
Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-02-2018, 04:18 PM   #2

Hmmm? my shootin' buddy had some issues with his little Sig pocket 1911 awhile back using the Hornady CD, 9mm we thought it was just a break-in issue. Maybe not. I've only fired this bullet style in my SW 642 revolver and found it to be very accurate.
PaulWVa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:55 PM   #3

Don't use the polymer tipped projectiles (Hornady) they also hang on my feed ramps in both 45 and 9mm. Feeds HST and Golden Sabres all day long. Seems like the more polished the ramp the better they stick. Like trying to push a block of balistic gel up a hot slide.
JC45, Einstein and 427malibu like this.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2018, 05:46 PM   #4

Never have had issue with my Raptor or my Pro with the Hornaday. Although, this past weekend Honey's Sig P938 had a jam problem. Weird because 2 weeks before that we fired all our protection rounds that we carry just to run them through.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:27 PM   #5

Had the same problem yesterday with my Micro9. Feeds hollowpoints like HST and Speer Gold Dot fine...doesn’t like critical defense.
JC45 likes this.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:53 AM   #6

Good to know that they seem to cause issue's, I've been thinkng about some but I think I'll pass now.

AMERICA WE HAVE A PROBLEM
wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:18 AM   #7

Indeed. I always use CD in my carry guns, and was disappointed at how hard they were to find for my .45. Which is to say, I couldn't find them, and settled on Federal HST's as they were the most aggressive looking round on the shelf. Guess I "dodged a bullet" there. That said, I'd like to run some Ruger ARX's through it if I can find them.
Bigdog likes this.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:29 AM   #8

I'd like to try some ARX's to try but I can't seem to find ant either

AMERICA WE HAVE A PROBLEM
wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:49 AM   #9

One would think that the R&D team at Hornady ran into the same issue, I can only guess that the angle of the 1911 feed ramp is at a standard degree from maker to maker. So I would think a hard polymer tip would be atop this projectile. Guess not. Guess I'll just keep feeding it HST's.
Bigdog likes this.
Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:28 AM   #10

All quite interesting, in that I shoot/carry CD in both 9mm and .45 in a total of six Kimbers, 1911's and my Micro 9 and Sig P938.

Not one of these pistols has ever jammed a CD round as described, and none of them have had any feed ramp work either. Maybe I'm just lucky.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote