WPA Military Classic 380acp - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > The Ammo Can

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2019, 05:14 PM   #1

WPA Military Classic 380acp

Just wondering if anyone has experience with Wolf Ammo? The gun shop that we bought my wife’s Sapphire Micro 380 threw in a free box of WPA military classic 94 gr fmj steel case ammo.

We have no experience with this ammo and have never shot steel case before. Would you shoot this in your Kimbers?
GrandpoppyJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-13-2019, 08:29 PM   #2

In a nutshell I don't like using steel case ammo, especially in high dollar 1911's. I have used it in revolvers.
I don't think one free box will hurt anything, 50/50 if it will function or not.
JC45 likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:26 PM   #3

Originally Posted by GrandpoppyJack View Post
Just wondering if anyone has experience with Wolf Ammo? The gun shop that we bought my wife’s Sapphire Micro 380 threw in a free box of WPA military classic 94 gr fmj steel case ammo.

We have no experience with this ammo and have never shot steel case before. Would you shoot this in your Kimbers?
Yeah, I've shot plenty of Wolf ammo. It runs fine. I haven't shot any Wolf in .45 acp in a loooooong time, so maybe things have changed. Once I was out shooting 230 gr. Wolf in my Ballester-Molina, and a buddy was shooting 230 gr. Remington green/yellow in his Colt. He handed me his gun, and the recoil was noticably more noticeable. What was going on? We experimented, and it turns out it was the Remington ammo that had more "kapow." Maybe Wolf saves money on powder.

Interestingly, Wolf was manufactured by Tula at that time. Now it's manufactured elsewhere. Last week I was banging on targets with 9mm Tula ammo, and all was well. Then I switched to Freedom reloads, and those had less "kapow." Go figure.
kimbertoter likes this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2019, 10:24 AM   #4

My Micro .380 doesn't like steel cased ammo at all, I get constant FTE on all most every round. I would go ahead try the box you have and see how it does.

AMERICA WE HAVE A PROBLEM
wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:57 PM   #5

Thanks everyone. We will shoot the box of steel case then go back to good ol brass rounds.
2sharp2 and kimbertoter like this.
GrandpoppyJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:47 AM   #6

My .380s are all dedicated "defensive tools" which long ago had numerous rounds fired flawlessly.

I keep them loaded with Hornady Critical Defense rounds, I rotate if necessary, and with that ammunition it is never really "necessary." Every round has gone 'bang.'
Old 03-15-2019, 09:00 AM   #7

Why bother?

The Micro .380 isn't a recreational range gun chewing up thousands of rounds of ammo. It's a small pocket gun for personal self defense. Practice with the ammo you'll be carrying.
2sharp2 and kimbertoter like this.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:22 PM   #8

I avoid steel cased ammo in just about any gun I own, except any ComBloc ones. Just a personal preference.

RIP R. Lee (Gunny) Ermey...
kimbertoter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:05 AM   #9

I only use Wolf in my AK47 and it works fine for this rifle. I once tried it in my Eclipse Pro II because that was all the 45 the gun shop had in stock. My Eclipse did like it at all and it was filthy. I’ll never use it again. I did try Freedom Munitions steel once in 9mm and it worked with no issues but now I stick to brass case ammo.
kimbertoter likes this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:03 PM   #10

I have never understood why anyone would run ammo made from used Russian hubcaps to run through an $800 or $1500 handgun!
kimbertoter likes this.