9mm Handloading Question - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > The Ammo Can

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2019, 03:05 PM   #1

9mm Handloading Question

I've been handloading since returning to "the world" in 1968. Precision rifle, revolvers, auto's and shotgun. I'm currently set up with a Dillon RL550 for loading .45 ACP and have a conversion for 9mm on the way.

My question is as I'm new to loading 9mm, where's the best source for "range bullets", 115gr and 124gr FMJ's?

What 'standard' powder is best for this purpose? I've got over 125 lbs. of rifle and pistol powder on hand, so probably have the right stuff already, just looking for high volume shooters to share their recipe.....WW231?

Thanks for some guidance.
Rick in Oregon is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-17-2019, 03:17 PM   #2

Can't really speak to 9mm but I have found WW231 good for just about any non-magnum handgun round. I've used it for thousands of .45 and .38 loads.

With current prices of bullets, primers and powder (+ the time) … I prefer to just buy 9mm rounds in bulk. I'm sure there are guys here with plenty of pet loads for them.

Last edited by PaulWVa; 03-17-2019 at 04:37 PM.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 04:24 PM   #3

I like Xtreme Bullets and Bullseye.

YMMV.
Rick in Oregon likes this.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:14 AM   #4

Acme bullet comp. 124 grain cast and 4.6 grains unique is my go-to metal ringer. Paul is 100 percent correct on the bulk 9mm being cheaper than reloading right now..
Old 03-18-2019, 07:01 AM   #5

I'll go farther. I think 'bulk ammunition' is better than personal reloading for a number of reasons.

The best reason is cost. I quit reloading because even with range scrounged brass, I still had to buy some brass as recycling had an attrition rate, and primers and powder were continually needing to be replaced.

Then again there is the "quality" issue. I had to be so neat and careful entire weekends were consumed in safety issues. Commercial reloaders have their own safety concerns. Even their cast bullets are harder and cheaper than I could replicate.

Finally, there's the "redhead issue." Haven't I risked my life enough sleeping with one eye open to also sink to being my own 'thought police'? Despite my best efforts, I could never equal what a factory could produce.

Right now--by best guess--I have 1,000 to 1,200 rounds of commercial hardball, purchased at 2/3s of what it would cost me to make inferior rounds.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:34 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to loadedround
Been using 231 and Unique for my 9mm's for years. However I've just switched over to Hodgdon's CFE-Pistol for all my jacketed bullet loads. I have found it to be so much cleaner without having much copper fouling and more accurate to boot. Highly recommend CFE-Pistol.
loadedround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:48 PM   #7

Say whaaat?

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
Despite my best efforts, I could never equal what a factory could produce.

Right now--by best guess--I have 1,000 to 1,200 rounds of commercial hardball, purchased at 2/3s of what it would cost me to make inferior rounds.
Well Chico (the guy who takes a knife to a gunfight.....),

Sorry for your inability to produce good handloads, despite your best efforts.

I've most likely been handloading longer than you've been alive. You did not answer my question, but instead listed reasons why you do not handload. It matters little to me why. I'll also opine that my precision small bore rifle handloads (20VT et al) are far more accurate than any factory offering (like .200" @ 100 yds) could possibly produce (IF you could purchase it). My .44 Magnum handloads have rung steel at 300 yards and taken numerous mule deer with my own cast bullets, and I've probably fired more .45 ACP handloads over a span of 50+ years than a city boy like yourself could imagine.

During our varmint season here, it's not unusual for us to fire 200+ CF precision small bore rifle rounds in a single morning....a possible 1,000+ rounds on one field trip alone.....all handloads, many times for calibers not offered by the factories.

We won't get into big game handloads, but my .338-06 Ackley Improved has taken numerous large bull elk with......my handloads, ditto for my .270 Win and 7mm-08 Improved IRT to deer and antelope.

So next time you pontificate about handloads being "inferior" to factory offerings, better check your facts, as there are those of us out here that subscribe to a higher standard. Do you think any of the BR crowd uses factory ammunition? 'Nuff said.

I admire your knife/blade knowledge and your demonstrated ability at polishing, but when it comes to things out of your realm, sometimes it's better to keep still. (Flame suit securely zipped up.)

To the others who responded, a sincere thank you, as it gives me a baseline to get started, along with other suggestions from other handgun forums. Appreciate the shared knowledge.
bigdog10 and 2sharp2 like this.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:13 PM   #8

I handload because factory FMJ is inferior to my handloads.

I don't load 9mm for volume, only for accuracy.

My Kimber does not like factory FMJ much at all accuracy wise.
Lawman 125 FMJ is pretty good at 50 yards, but Fed Eagle 115 looks like at shotgun blast at 25 yards.

But any of my handloads with the Hornady 125/124 HAP/XTP or with a good coated bullet will out shoot any factory ammo.

You have to try coated bullets. The price is fantastic and they shoot right up there with a good jacketed bullet.

I've had the best results with the 125 cone from either Missouri or Black Bullets Int.

W231 is perfect. Use lead data with coated bullets.
bigdog10 and Rick in Oregon like this.

Last edited by Calliope; 03-18-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Calliope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:23 PM   #9

I use xtreme copper plated 124 grain or SNS castings Coated Hardcast lead. (SNS is cheaper) I use 4 to 4.2 grains of W231 and a oal of 1.145. These shoot great and are reliable in all my pistols including my Kimber Solo. Some I made this weekend with some nickel cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Holster, Shootinit and PaulWVa like this.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:42 PM   #10

Thanks Calliope, have lots of W231.

And lookin' good there, Albert.

Thanks to you both for the load info, I'm adding it to my growing list of 'possibles' to try.

Building a load dossier, have new Dillon 9mm dies en route.
2sharp2 and PaulWVa like this.

Last edited by Rick in Oregon; 03-18-2019 at 04:45 PM.