45 acp 185 gr - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > The Ammo Can

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RickByus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2020, 07:30 PM   #1

45 acp 185 gr

It has been raining, a lot. So I was window shopping and they were on sale. A quick check showed that 185gr 45acp was +- 150fps slower than 124gr 9mm. Now I got to thinking the recoil would be less and I don't think it would give up much inertia by dropping 45gr at under 25 yrds. So I picked up a couple boxes for when ever it quits raining for a couple days. Going to see how it shoots, hard to to break old habits though and 230gr just seems a comfortably proven round.
Chuck43 likes this.
RickByus is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-10-2020, 08:17 PM   #2

I have been shooting 185s for a while. Recoil seems worse, not better though. The muzzle energy is higher with the 185s so that may be why.

The ammo choices at 185 are there but far more limited than 230s that's for sure. And ball ammo is usually more too. Where did you find 185's cheap?

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:01 AM   #3

Originally Posted by KCJeep View Post
I have been shooting 185s for a while. Recoil seems worse, not better though. The muzzle energy is higher with the 185s so that may be why.

The ammo choices at 185 are there but far more limited than 230s that's for sure. And ball ammo is usually more too. Where did you find 185's cheap?
Cabelas has Hornady American Gunner @16.99 with Critical Defense on sale @19. LGS has the American Gunner a little cheaper @16.49, I figure to just say they are less. When in the mood they offer some good deals. I like to shop local unless there is a big difference. Was thinking about some on line store though. Looked at some threads here to get some things to consider. Old farts can get cheap.

Old 02-11-2020, 01:27 PM   #4

The self defense load in 185 gr that has most impressed me were Remington Golden Sabers. I have also experimented with and sometimes carry Winchester Silver Tips. Currently packing Federal Syntech Defense, those are 205 gr but they seem to shoot just like the 185s.

There are 185 grain Gold Dots available as well. I forgot about the Hornady offerings. I like their ammo as it is high quality, but I don't care for their "minimal expansion" approach to self defense ammo. I like radical expansion loads.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:53 PM   #5

Most 185 are between 1000 and 1100 on paper so your right it really comes down to bullet characteristics. Did notice Cor-Bon makes a 165 that hits over 1200 and is not a +P. Not sure I want +P but 1200 is fast even at 165 gr.
Thanks for the Federal idea I always liked their hunting stuff, it just delivered.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:04 PM   #6

I shoot Speer Lawman 185 gn exclusively. I shoot the ball for practice/qualification and I carry the hollow point. In my Ultra II, I find it has less recoil and faster recovery times than the 230 gn. In fact, I find it better to shoot than 124 gn 9mm.

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never has been and never will be. T Jefferson

Last edited by pbsdaddy; 02-12-2020 at 06:14 PM.
pbsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:41 PM   #7

I have also used Golden Saber 185gr. It worked fine in my Eclipse Pro II but now I use 230gr HST and 230gr Golden Saber. It’s been a while since I used 185gr but I don’t remember much of a difference in recoil between the 2. A well placed shot with either will work.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:06 PM   #8

Originally Posted by JC45 View Post
I have also used Golden Saber 185gr. It worked fine in my Eclipse Pro II but now I use 230gr HST and 230gr Golden Saber. Itís been a while since I used 185gr but I donít remember much of a difference in recoil between the 2. A well placed shot with either will work.
I have a couple boxes of 185gr to play with. To be honest not sure but for every day carry I suspect I will end up with slow,fat and heavy. I like the idea of 185gr at 1100fps but the main reason I have stuck with the 45 is there is less chance of over penetration. My logic has been you can't see behind a wall. With sheet rock wall it doesn't take much to go through one. Would a 185 with less weight and inertia go through the target and then the wall, probably not. But slow,fat and heavy is mighty comfortable to set in their ways old farts.