Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > The Ammo Can

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By loadedround
  • 3 Post By AMDnutt
  • 1 Post By markr6754

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2020, 09:07 PM   #1

9mm reloading

I am brand new to reloading and have questions that you guys might be able to answer. I purchased some Berry's 9mm 124gr and 147gr. I was looking at the reloading book for 9mm, The dimension of 9mm is .355 and Berry's are .356. Is this safe to put in any 9mm. Or are they meant for another type. Would appreciate any info that you could give.
Bear604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-31-2020, 09:25 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to loadedround
9 mm bullet heads can be either .355 or .356'' in diameter depending on whether they are lead or copper clad bullets (like your Berrys). It should not make any difference which diameter you choose. As always start with the lowest charge and work up watching for the obvious high pressure signs. I hope you have read one or more, good reloading manuals before you attempt your first reloads You have haven't you?
2sharp2 and Rick in Oregon like this.
loadedround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:35 PM   #3

I have not done any reloads yet. I am reading and asking questions before I start to reload. I will make sure I understand before I attempt. Thank you loadedround.
Bear604 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2020, 06:02 PM   #4

loadedround is correct!
Your Berrys are good to go at .356" - I use a lot of them and they work very well. I have shot 1000's of both 124 and 147 and you will be happy with the performance.
I shoot the 124's mainly but switch to the 147's for shorter barrels as they seem to perform better in the smaller guns. Regarding reloading - read, read, read, and then read some more! :-)
AMDnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:35 AM   #5

ABCs of Reloading

Along with ALL of the front matter in a reloading manual, like Hornady 10th Ed, or Lee 2nd Ed, I highly recommend the reloading bible...ABCs of Reloading. Of course, having a knowledgeable source...a friend, relative, neighbor, that also reloads can be of great value.
Components are quite hard to come by these days, so be open to looking for alternates. For example: if your supplier is out of 9mm projectiles, 38 Super, which measures .356, will work fine. You just need to work up your loads, as with any other projectile. When all my sources for 9mm dried up, I found a nice stash of 121gr .38 Super FMJ that work perfectly.
2sharp2 likes this.
markr6754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:07 PM   #6

this was the most valuable thing I learned. you want a tungsten carbide die set with a taper-crimper. all about that head space stuff and straight wall. I was lucky to have a mentor who had lots of experience.
this guy does a pretty good job of 'splaining it. https://www.personaldefenseworld.com...9mm-handloads/
chambh is offline   Reply With Quote