• 4 Post By cousinmark
  • 6 Post By Rick in Oregon
  • 3 Post By cousinmark
  • 4 Post By Rick in Oregon
  • 4 Post By cousinmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2020, 01:25 PM   #1

"choot em!"

I did a little comparative plinking this morning. First up I fired 24 rounds of the "CHOOT EM" CCI 40gr JHP WMR Maxi Mag, that is target #4. UP next 24 rounds of CCI 30gr JHP+V WMR Maxi-Mag (box says 2200fps, that'll leave a mark huh), target #5. Lastly 48 rounds of "Plain Jane" Remington 40gr .22LR Thunderbolt, target #3. My theory that the "CHOOT EM" ammo is "CHIT" seems to be supported by the looks of the paper :-)
...target was at 7 yards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10:5.jpg (2.92 MB, 12 views)
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-05-2020, 02:31 PM   #2

Mark, I'd agree with your sentiments regarding the 'choot chit'.

But also keep in mind the bore dimensions are slightly different in .22LR and .22WMR. This is why any handgun chambered and supplied with a WMR cylinder, will never reach any real commendable degree of accuracy when the LR cylinder is installed. The .22LR bore dimension is .223", while the 22WMR is .224".

So when shooting .22LR in a revolver originally intended for the .22WMR, the smaller LR bullet is .001" undersize for the bore of the weapon, and will in essence 'rattle' through the barrel with a side clearance of .0005", and never reach any high degree of accuracy as a result.

Revolvers chambered for both rounds are completely useful for general purposes, but the conflict mentioned above should explain the accuracy disparity issue in any brand of ammo you'd use in the revolver, especially .22LR.

Sidebar: Also being a fan of the .22WMR with multiple handguns and rifles chambered so, one of my fav's is my Smith M648 6" in .22WMR with a Leupold 4X handgun scope aboard. I've head-shot squirrels out to 50 yards, and body shots on chucks and a couple of coyotes past 100 yds. using CCI Maxi-Mag +V. A pic for fun:

Enjoy that little Ruger, it'll last you the rest of your life, and the caliber combination may be one of the best for what could lurk in our collective future. Utility at it's finest!

Last edited by Rick in Oregon; 10-05-2020 at 02:39 PM.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 04:13 PM   #3

Thanks for the comment Rick. That's a good little factoid I wasn't aware of. I figure rimfire is a good option for practice with things being so dire ammo wise lately. A big part of the fun is getting these bugs worked out. This pistol has a trigger that's smooth and has a rounded face. I'm working on getting consistent with my finger placement. Once I get that and the ammo dialed in maybe I'll be ready to help you get rid of those rats out your way :-)
Thats a sweet piece of engineering you have there btw. I have to ask, when you send these chucks to heaven at 100 yards are you firing SA or DA typically?

Old 10-05-2020, 04:35 PM   #4

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
Thats a sweet piece of engineering you have there btw. I have to ask, when you send these chucks to heaven at 100 yards are you firing SA or DA typically?
Thanks, I'm a revolver fan too.

When doing any shooting at all with this one, it's virtually always SA for the sweet 1.5# let-off with no creep or over-travel. I had it tuned years ago by a friend, and the trigger is pure joy.

Below, working with it and the +V stuff at 100 yards over a sandbag. When shooting out the truck window, we use 'window-bags', designed to sit on a partially open window. Great for cruising the ranch perimeter two-track looking for flying candidates.

If you enlarge the pic, you can see my white target between the junipers right at the base of the lava rock outcropping.

Sure not a target gun, but much fun in the 'Rat Patch'.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 05:34 PM   #5

...1.5#s that sounds like some fun right there!!! Coupled with the oversized grip I imagine she's a pillowy soft shooter. My accuracy improved greatly when I put a Hogue grip on my Super Blackhawk. That extra amount of real estate helped a lot. Hitting your target at 100 yards would still be wishful thinking though :-)

Search tags for this page

choot em guns

Click on a term to search for related topics.