Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > The Ammo Can

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By The Tourist
  • 2 Post By jonh1373
  • 3 Post By RustyIron

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2015, 05:48 PM   #1

Hornady "Lite" Critical Defense?

My wife carries a 642 and she's a bit recoil sensitive. Some day's she's like a rock, other times she fires a few rounds and cannot stop the 'yips' and the flinches.

I like the standard velocity Critical Defense rounds in my .45 ACP pistol, but I use a full-house .357 Speer in my SW 360 PD. For the sake of compatibility, I do have a Tuff stripper band of the .38 SPL Critical Defense "Lite" loads, the same as she uses in the 642.

Here's the issue. I've never fired any of them into any sort of ballistic media, nor have I seen or heard about any detailed testing in gun magazines. As you can imagine, I'm not certain about the 'science' of the hot-dog shooters on YouTube.

What's the straight scoop on the Lites? Am I hampering my wife in picking a softer hitting load?
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:29 PM   #2

Looking at the Hornady website ballistics and comparing them to the Federal website Hydra-shok 110 and 129 grain ballistics I don't see any huge difference other than the light 90 grain bullet. As has been repeatedly and universally stated, it is all about shot placement so if she can hit with a little lighter bullet vs missing with something heavier she should be good to go.
Chuck43 and 2sharp2 like this.
jonh1373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:45 PM   #3

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
Am I hampering my wife in picking a softer hitting load?
I don't think so. Let's consider an attacker's mentality.

First, let's consider the most probable scenario if a physical altercation initiated against you or me. It will probably be because some idiot is enraged, the fight is on, and the attacker is expecting blood to be spilled. In such a situation, there's a good chance that the bad guy must be physically incapacitated before he will stop the attack. In this case, you'll be glad to have your big gun.

But in Mrs. Tourist's case, the most probable scenario will be a little different. The attacker who initiates a physical attack will have different motivation, and he's NOT expecting a fight. He's expecting a compliant victim. A firm kick in the balls, elbow to the face, or a few rounds from her 642 will go a long way toward getting him to reevaluate his choice of targets. If he is still able but chooses not to turn tail and run, the loud noise and searing pain might make him hesitate long enough for her to skedaddle.

Bottom line, a moderate load that she can shoot well, is superior to an intimidating cannon that is difficult to shoot.
Chuck43, 2sharp2 and bhunted like this.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2015, 02:15 AM   #4

Thanks, guys. I feel better about that specific cartridge.

There has always been a "see-saw" aspect to the choice my wife made with a J-frame. Her decision was based on being left-handed, and brass from most automatics flies in front of her face. She's just more comfortable with a revolver.

Having decided on that, she wanted both a lighter firearm, but a decent caliber. The J-frames now are made in .357, but my alloy frame 360PD is a bear to shoot, even for a guy. That left the 38 SPL.

When we're together the bad guys face two guns. When I'm alone, they face a .45 ACP. When she's alone she has 5 light .38s, and an HKS speed loader--not a lot for multiple attackers.

If that's the reality--and she's a good shot so the guys will be hit--I want her to make sure she puts the attackers on their backs. It always bothered me about that designation "Lite."
Old 12-14-2015, 05:49 AM   #5
Super Moderator

I agree with John1373 and RustyIron, thanks for saving me a lot of typing guys.

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:15 AM   #6

Just to give another point of view. If she is in a position of having to defend herself with lethal force I do not think she will be thinking of the light round vs heavy round at that moment. When not at the range load it heavy for self protection and light for the range to practice and not flinching.Just a thought.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:28 AM   #7

SWAC, my wife is a suburban teacher--a liberal with a gun and an attitude. I think her little J-frame could squirt mint jelly, and if the perp expired she'd think the exchange went exactly as planned.

But get this, it's not just guns. My wife doesn't know a thing about reloading, motorcycles or polishing--zero, zip, nada.

She just doesn't like recoil, and trusts me to get the right product. And that's the problem for me. If I give her a nice gentle load that does not stop the perp from hurting her until he bleeds out, have I done my job as a husband?
Old 12-14-2015, 03:42 PM   #8

SWAC, my wife is a suburban teacher--a liberal with a gun and an attitude. I think her little J-frame could squirt mint jelly, and if the perp expired she'd think the exchange went exactly as planned.

But get this, it's not just guns. My wife doesn't know a thing about reloading, motorcycles or polishing--zero, zip, nada.

She just doesn't like recoil, and trusts me to get the right product. And that's the problem for me. If I give her a nice gentle load that does not stop the perp from hurting her until he bleeds out, have I done my job as a husband?
Short answer is yes. As stated before, noise, pain, opportunity for one side or the other to disengage and your job has been done. What I don't understand, is why you have not done your job educating her about motorcycles? Now that is something to be ashamed of.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:23 PM   #9

Originally Posted by jonh1373 View Post
What I don't understand, is why you have not done your job educating her about motorcycles?
Oh, I've tried. But after 40 years, her eyes glaze over when she simply hears the name Harley-Davidson...
Old 12-14-2015, 06:31 PM   #10

Oh, I've tried. But after 40 years, her eyes glaze over when she simply hears the name Harley-Davidson...
All one can do it try!

Search tags for this page

hornady critical defense 9mm lite test

Click on a term to search for related topics.