45ACP+P question - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > The Ammo Can

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2016, 10:40 PM   #1

45ACP+P question

I've recently purchased a Kimber Ultra CDP II for my concealed carry. While "breaking in my Kimber" I've been shooting the standard 230 grain fmj type. I was at the local gun shop and asked one of the guys what he recommends for a defensive carry round. Without hesitation he grabs a box of Civil Defense 45ACP+P and says it's just the cats meow. I noticed immediately when he handed off the 20 round box of ammo it felt half full. Well that's because it's 78 grain. The +P coupled with the light bullet gives it a claimed 1900 fps MV. I know from reading my Kimber manual that came with my Ultra to NOT use +P ammo. I've also read it's ok in more than one place on the Internet. I will just need to replace my spring sooner if I choose to shoot it a lot. This would be for personal defense only for me, so other than cycling a few clips at the range to make sure of no faluires, I won't be normally shooting bulks of this stuff, it's pricey!
So, my question to those of you who know far more than I do, what say ye. Yes or no with the Civil Defense 45ACP+P ammo for personal defense rounds?
Any and all opinions are welcomed, I'm here to LEARN!
Thanks,
Jason
Va Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-04-2016, 11:47 PM   #2

I use +P 185 grain Golden Sabres in my Eclipse Ultra, but it's also all Stainless. Handles them fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck43 likes this.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:27 AM   #3

Most manufacturers don't recommend a steady diet of +P ammo, so what your doing I'm sure is fine. I'm really not sure why you would want such a light bullet traveling at 1900fps for a self defense handgun. Especially when Kimber recommends 230gr ammo.

I've also been using Remington Golden Saber. Both of my Kimber's always liked this ammo and I've stuck with it. I've used both 185 and 230's with no issues. Currently using 230gr. I'm sticking with big slow moving ammo.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2016, 05:49 AM   #4

Ask 100 different people their opinion of self defense ammo and you'll get 110 answers. So, armed with that expectation ...

1. Understand what you are trying to accomplish with SD ammo.
2. Watch (videos) and read reviews of various ammo that is measured against specific criteria.
3. Pay attention to what the manufacturer recommends. In a SD situation you do not want a failure because the ammo was out of spec for the weapon.

That being said, I use Winchester PDX-1 230 grain. Fully within spec of my weapon, functions properly in my Ultra, receives great reviews. YMMV

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:55 AM   #5

I also fire only standard pressure 230 grain hardball through my Kimber for break-in and plinking. I use the Freedom Munitions reman RN, and other than a little soot when I clean after every outing, I have had no problems with FTF or FTE. None, zero.

I do utilize Hornady Critical Defense loads for defensive use. I tried several boxes through all of my dedicated carry magazines, and they even fed reliably though even my sole nickel plated Kimber magazine and cheap blue one that came with the pistol.

I think the 230 grain hardball recommendation is a good one. That's been the standard load for all 1911 pistols. But I also think it's just as important to test your carry loads and weed out the magazines that fail.

I had to replace one magazine with splayed lips, and Kimber took care of that one through my local Gander Mountain. I got a full store credit exchange for a Tac-Mag.

(BTW, my Wilson-Rogers compact officers size magazines don't fail with anything. I think I could put a cartridge in backwards and it would still cycle...)
Chuck43 and GoingSolo like this.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:19 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Jason, first of all this is what Kimber says on the use of +P ammo.

+P ammo manufactured to SAAMI specs is fine to use as a defensive round or for occasional range use only. Our pistols are rated to handle +P ammo. However, we do not recommend a steady diet of them, as they are rough on the pistol and will accelerate the wear on the gun and may shorten the life of the recoil spring.

As for the use of +P ammo for self defense: I live in a highly populated area and if "God Forbid" I ever have to use my gun I have to live with what that bullet does if it passes through it's intended target. Defending yourself against a bad guy is legal, killing an innocent bystander with a bullet that passed through the bad gun is murder. My carry ammo is Winchester Ranger T 230 gr. JHP.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:46 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Jason, first of all this is what Kimber says on the use of +P ammo.

+P ammo manufactured to SAAMI specs is fine to use as a defensive round or for occasional range use only. Our pistols are rated to handle +P ammo. However, we do not recommend a steady diet of them, as they are rough on the pistol and will accelerate the wear on the gun and may shorten the life of the recoil spring.

As for the use of +P ammo for self defense: I live in a highly populated area and if "God Forbid" I ever have to use my gun I have to live with what that bullet does if it passes through it's intended target. Defending yourself against a bad guy is legal, killing an innocent bystander with a bullet that passed through the bad gun is murder. My carry ammo is Winchester Ranger T 230 gr. JHP.
Ditto on both of those statements....We just had a clown here in the Lou discharge his gun and lucky for him the little boy lived...

St. Louis man charged after boy, 7, suffers graze wound from gun fired through ceiling : News
Chuck43 likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:27 AM   #8

I agree with Chuck and Marshall. I don't use +P ammo for EDC. My CDP Ultra is currently loaded with Winchester Silver Tips.

I have ran a couple of "magazines" of 185gr Speer Bonded Hollow Point +P thru all of my Ultra's. If the bullet don't get him the huge fireball will. But really IMO the big fireball and increase in recoil would not be good for self defense. If needed follow up shots would be more difficult.

Oh and the sales guy didn't hesitate to reach for the Civil Defense because it is "expensive" not necessarily because it is "the best."
Chuck43 and Insta-Gator like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger

Last edited by 2sharp2; 02-05-2016 at 10:36 AM.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:31 PM   #9

VA Boy, there are lots of videos on youtube. I like this one.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:49 PM   #10

I never use +P for break in or punching paper.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
45 acp hardball for self defense
best self defense 45 acp cartridge for kimber ultra cdp2?
can i use plus p rated ammo in kimber 1911 compact officer ultra cdp 2?
kimber ultra carry ii rated for p

kimber ultra cdp ii 45acp for self defense?

Click on a term to search for related topics.