Question for the ammo experts - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > The Ammo Can

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By KC4YIN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2016, 02:33 PM   #1

Question for the ammo experts

After having worked on the S&W Walther PPK/S and getting the light primer strike problem fixed I shot a 50 rd. box of WWB with out a single failure. So I went and got a 100 rd. box to celebrate, so to speak. When I opened the box I found a number of rds. discolored or tarnished looking and had several failures to fire but fired on the second try with one rd. that never would fire no matter how many times I pulled the trigger on it. I'm guessing some moisture got to it but would like to hear from others. Never had a problem with WWB before.
Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0019.JPG (715.1 KB, 5 views)
KC4YIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-28-2016, 02:55 PM   #2

I would say moisture/humidity has affected this box. Usually anytime you see any discoloration like that it generally points to some kind of a moisture issue.
DaVinci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:52 PM   #3

Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
I would say moisture/humidity has affected this box. Usually anytime you see any discoloration like that it generally points to some kind of a moisture issue.
Thanks.
That's what I was thinking. Bought this box from Walmart. Like I said, never had a problem with WWB before but then I have heard of other people complaining it wasn't the best. Will open and inspect each box from now on.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:55 PM   #4

When I was shooting a lot 25 years ago I used WWB all the time because it was cheap and reliable. But times have changed not bought any in a long time. I think there have been several function issues with several different Kimber models traced back to WWB ammo. Again this is just what I have heard or read.
Since I have been active on KT I either use FM or Georgia Arms ammo.
I agree probably a moisture problem, was that WWB ammo you purchased recently or some you have had stored for a while?

Will Wally world accept return or exchange ammo?

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger

Last edited by 2sharp2; 04-28-2016 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Saw answer
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:09 PM   #5

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
When I was shooting a lot 25 years ago I used WWB all the time because it was cheap and reliable. But times have changed not bought any in a long time. I think there have been several function issues with several different Kimber models traced back to WWB ammo. Again this is just what I have heard or read.
Since I have been active on KT I either use FM or Georgia Arms ammo.
I agree probably a moisture problem, was that WWB ammo you purchased recently or some you have had stored for a while?

Will Wally world accept return or exchange ammo?
Bought it last week. Since I first posted this earlier today, I've been doing some more tuning on this PPK. Love the little gun. Went and took out the darkest looking rds. and managed to get them to go bang first time. Lucky I guess. WILL BE WATCHING these if and when I buy them from now on. It will be a little while before I place my next order from Freedom but I will include some 380 from them for sure.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:18 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Definitely a moisture problem, I would have returned them instead of shooting them.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:28 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Definitely a moisture problem, I would have returned them instead of shooting them.
Definitely considered returning them. At the time though I was working out some light primer strike issues and they worked ok. Only had one that did not go bang. You can bet that the next time the clerk at Walmart passes a box across the counter to me, it will be opened for inspection. PERIOD. I used to work in the aircraft industry in quality assurance so it will stick with me.
2sharp2 and Cybercycle like this.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:43 PM   #8

Thought I would post an update to this WWB problem.

Not only was there a moisture problem with this ammo but on top of that I was having a lot of light primer strikes. Unusual with this ammo. I broke out the caliper and long story short is just that. The case length that is. According to the wiki for .380 ammo the case length is .680. The WWB cases averaged .670 over 25 cases. I have the majority of these cases and a few unfired rounds left. Would it be worth a nasty gram to Winchester along with some sample cases? One thing for sure. Freedom will get ALL my business from now on. Never ordered .380 from Freedom before since I did not shoot this little Walther that much. Just a heads up for everyone.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:48 PM   #9

.01 shouldn't make that much of a Differance in head spacing. Winchester primers are not as hard to set off as CCI primers. I would say the dampness has penetrated to the powder and primers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote