Anybody else having problems with FM 9mm Ammo? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > The Ammo Can

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2016, 03:17 PM   #1

Question Anybody else having problems with FM 9mm Ammo?

I know FM has a lot of support on this forum and I hesitated to post this question. I recently received an order for ammo from FM that included new 9mm 147gr RN to perform the break-in on my new Pro Aegis II. I posted a range report on the forum. At the time of my first range outing with the ammo, I thought the loads were a bit "light" with respect to "charge"...felt more like 115gr ammo. Now it seems the next box of ammo might have a light powder charge as it barely functions the slide on the Aegis, drops empty casings at my foot or on my hand. I also tried some of those rounds in my wife's G17 with the same results...including a FTF. To compare, I tried some Remington, Winchester and Creedmoor ammo which performed well, worked the slide in both pistols and threw the empties with authority. I can only conclude the FM was "low on powder".

I contacted FM over the weekend and was promised they would get back to me. I will wait to see what they say about my experience. This was only my 2nd order placed with FM, and needless to say, I am not pleased.

Has anybody on this forum experienced this kind of issue with FM ammo?
OGCA - Life Member
Cybercycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-02-2016, 03:54 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I had an issue a couple of years ago, they apologized for the problem, sent new ammo and told me to keep the old stuff.

Chuck43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:54 PM   #3

I received an order several weeks ago but haven't shot any of them yet. Will check them out this weekend.

You can tell alot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans. - Ronald Reagan
Spotly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2016, 04:01 PM   #4

Yup, definitely a low power load. I hand load all my ammo on the medium to hot side to insure function. I load my 124 grain Xtreme bullets (same bullet FM uses) to 5.4 grains of Unique (5.8 is max) plenty of pop and ejects about 3 feet to the side. Sounds like FM owes you a few rounds of ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cybercycle likes this.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:00 AM   #5

UPDATE - I've received no feedback from FM yet and am a little surprised they didn't "jump" on the problem ASAP. Out of curiosity I checked out their Facebook page for recent reviews and found that some others are indicating FM's customer service isn't responding to emails and phone calls. First the problems with the new FM website and now this...it ain't looking good at this point. I'll keep trying to get a follow-up, but will question any future orders based on how this turns out.
OGCA - Life Member
Old 05-03-2016, 10:29 AM   #6

I wonder if they switched powders to the Xtreme powders and primers. (Xtreme being their sister company. I buy my bullets there and their used in all FM rounds) Maybe they haven't got the recipe just right yet for the 380. Just a thought.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:44 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Albert.Cairns View Post
I wonder if they switched powders to the Xtreme powders and primers. (Xtreme being their sister company. I buy my bullets there and their used in all FM rounds) Maybe they haven't got the recipe just right yet for the 380. Just a thought.

Note...the problem ammo is their 9mm 147gr RN New rounds (not the 380 which worked well for me so far).

BTW as an Update...I think they have changed the way they operate/manage customer service based on what others here have said. My experience on getting a resolution to the faulty ammo has been a bit frustrating. It appears they have instituted the Zendesk system of tracking customer issues/communications and now want customers to put everything in writing which might explain the difficulty in getting any phone support.

After waiting and getting NO response to my issue, I made a direct contact with a person in customer support that I worked with previously to see if they were going to address the problem with the 9mm ammo I received. She quickly sent me a form requesting a "ton" of information (dates, order info, lot numbers, head stamps, pistol info, and more) and also stating they want any remaining ammo returned for analysis. Not sure if they will be picking up the tab on the return or not. Seems they are making me go through some hoops that I'm guessing they did not do previously. Also, I'm not sure where this will end, but I am getting more than a little irritated at the process and their lack of responsiveness. They tend to do nothing until I give them a "kick"...
OGCA - Life Member
Old 05-03-2016, 10:54 AM   #8

Anybody else having problems with FM 9mm Ammo?

[QUOTE=Cybercycle;122934]Note...the problem ammo is their 9mm 147gr RN New rounds (not the 380 which worked well for me so far).
QUOTE]

My bad, old and Senile.
Cybercycle likes this.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:06 PM   #9
Super Moderator

I would imagine they asked for all that information so they can first see if they received any other complaints with those same numbers. Then check to see if they have any ammo in stock that matches those numbers so they can test it. I've been dealing with this company for a couple of years now and I have only good things to say about them.

Chuck43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:31 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I would imagine they asked for all that information so they can first see if they received any other complaints with those same numbers. Then check to see if they have any ammo in stock that matches those numbers so they can test it. I've been dealing with this company for a couple of years now and I have only good things to say about them.
I hope they find the lot# I gave them in stock, but I was told they wanted to test MY ammo and wanted it shipped back for testing. Luckily I have one box unopened with that lot# and 5 more with various lot#'s. Though I'm not excited about shipping the remaining ammo back to them on my dime. The thing that is most frustrating is the lack of response without my directly contacting a customer service rep that I was fortunate to have had her email address. I'm not getting the same "good feeling" about dealing with them that I had last February. I'll see what happens as I'm still waiting to hear back after complying with their information request this morning.
OGCA - Life Member