Cast Bullets in Ultra Carry - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > The Ammo Can

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2016, 10:41 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to jef989
Cast Bullets in Ultra Carry

I reload and shoot Cast 185 gr SWC with 4 grains of bullseye in my Gold Cup. Is there any problem shooting these loads in my Kimber Ultra Carry 11 for target practice? Will they work with the standard spring set-up? This has probably been brought up a lot previously but I wanted to get opinions from the more experienced re-loaders and shooters.
Remove Ads
Old 05-08-2016, 09:32 PM   #2

Only way to know for sure is to shoot some. There is no problem using a cast swc bullet. I mean as far as your gun working with the load, I shoot my reloads all the time with my CDP Ultra. But I use either 200 or 230 gran plated bullets mostly with W231 or BE-86 and load them a little hotter then yours.
Tankgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:30 PM   #3

I also use the Xtreme Plated 230 grain with either Unique or Hodgens HS6. I have shot some of my buddies SWC lead loads and they worked fine. I would try the same load as you've used already and adjust the charge (with in safe pressures) until you get good function of the slide and good accuracy. Only thing I won't shoot lead from is polygonal rifling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2016, 12:51 AM   #4

I have shot 230 grain SWC out of my Springfield 1911 full size. I have not shot any from my Kimbers yet I am still breaking in my three Kimbers w/230grn. fmj. I plan on shooting the SWC's from my Kimbers for punching paper I like the clean holes they leave in the targets. The only draw back I can see is the cleaning of the lead from the barrel is a little more tedious than fmj ammo. I have a bunch of swc on hand I am going to load.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

cast swc in kimber ultra?

Click on a term to search for related topics.