.45 ACP primers - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > The Ammo Can

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2016, 05:42 PM   #1

.45 ACP primers

Is there any rhyme or reason regarding .45 cases having small AND large primers?

I'll be reloading them before long and I know I can sort them. Just wondered why there is both. Brass is being cleaned as I type this.

Thanks!

Terry
Old 05-22-2016, 06:55 PM   #2

Well, Terry I've heard size don't matter but we all know that's a crock.
leemata likes this.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:00 PM   #3

Originally Posted by glokrok View Post
Well, Terry I've heard size don't matter but we all know that's a crock.

Remember it's not the length but the diameter.
leemata likes this.
Albert.Cairns is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2016, 07:05 PM   #4

[QUOTE=leemata;125676]Is there any rhyme or reason regarding .45 cases having small AND large primers?

I'll be reloading them before long and I know I can sort them. Just wondered why there is both. Brass is being cleaned as I type this.

Thanks!

45 ACP with small primers were made to reduce lead on firing ranges by using primers that use DDNP
glokrok likes this.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:12 PM   #5

Do you two reloaders use single press or multiple? Ive been hoarding brass thinking about it but very apprehensive. Dont hardly know squat about it.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:11 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to loadedround
Have 2 Dillon 550B's set up for large and small primers, a Dillon 650XL dedicated to 45 ACP and a Redding T7 turret press set up for loading small quantities of rifle ammo. I think sometimes I get carried away with ''man toys''.

Do you two reloaders use single press or multiple? Ive been hoarding brass thinking about it but very apprehensive. Dont hardly know squat about it.
loadedround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:36 PM   #7

I load everything 380, 9mm, 38/357, 45 ACP and 41 Mag all on a Lee Classic Turret Press. Once I'm all setup I can do about 150 an hour. Not anywhere near Progressive speed but I don't shoot competition and go through 2000 rounds a week. I load all winter and shoot all summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck43 and Dude22 like this.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:25 AM   #8

It's actually not a bad thing, over the years I've accumulated 2000-3000 of the small pistol primer 45 casings. I have a separate storage can for them, figure if I run out of large pistol primers I can still shoot 45.
Tankgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:32 PM   #9

.45 ACP primers

What really got me into the reloading side of firearms was the 41 Mag. Expensive and hard to find the ammo. Now it runs me under $100 for 500 rounds of 41 Mag. At retail of $25 to $30 per box of 25 you figure out the savings. After I got started on the 41 I figured "What the hell, just load everything I shoot and buy supplies in bulk". If you have the time and enjoy the hobbie it's well worth the time. You won't save any money, but you'll shoot 3 times as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck43, 2sharp2 and Trubble4u like this.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:15 PM   #10

I use a Hornady AP progressive with 5 stations. If you run all 5, there's a lot to keep your eyes on, but you get used to it. When I started with it, I just ran it like a single stage until I got a feel for it.

I haven't been loading for very long, but I can't imagine I'll ever be concerned about a rounds/hour count. In my view, reloading & rushing is a bad mix. The reason I went with a progressive is I don't like a lot of repetition....though there's still a fair amount involved.

There's really nothing to be afraid of if it's something you want to get into. Just know that if you're not detail oriented, it's probably not a good idea. In that case find someone you trust and work a deal with 'em if you can.

Terry