Freedom munitions 45 acp hollow point - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > The Ammo Can

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2016, 07:19 PM   #1

Freedom munitions 45 acp hollow point

Getting ready to buy some more 45 acp from Freedom Munitions. Does anyone use the 230 grain jhp ammo? Any Feed problems? Is their any advantage or disadvantage over the ball ammo. Just trying to learn.
Have shot their 230 grain fmj ball was wondering why they make jhp then say its not suitable for home defense? I guess it justs makes a prettier hole?
Outerlimits is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-15-2016, 07:24 PM   #2

I would stick to the ball ammo for target and carry a brand name proven hollow point for defense. They probably shoot fine but why spend the extra and risk hang ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:12 PM   #3

I have some of their XTP hollow points. Not the regular ones they shoot fine in my Ultra and expand real well. Like mentioned above don't waste your money on the hollow points when 230 gr. ball works just fine. Spend that money on a proven hollow point for defense purposes only.
glokrok likes this.
KC4YIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2016, 08:57 PM   #4

Hey Outerlimits! I agree with what has been said but if you just have to know if your gun will eat it, buy a couple of boxes and check it out. I think you will be pleased but for my life I like Hornady XTP 200 grain and the 185 grain Zombie Max. Peace
Cybercycle likes this.

Last edited by glokrok; 06-15-2016 at 09:04 PM.
glokrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:27 PM   #5
Banned

I've had expensive (very) expensive ammo for years, that has never been shot. Problem is when to load it? Certainly if you see a giant zombie coming a mile away, other then that any ammo will/better do it. Very cool to have expensive ammo in a cool multi-colored box around, but in a home invasion will it be in the kitchen stashed, or the den stashed, or the bathroom tub stashed, or the (zoomy) stashed dishwasher stashed gun/Kimber with the VZ grips???
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:39 PM   #6

Originally Posted by montanaResident View Post
I've had expensive (very) expensive ammo for years, that has never been shot. Problem is when to load it? Certainly if you see a giant zombie coming a mile away, other then that any ammo will/better do it. Very cool to have expensive ammo in a cool multi-colored box around, but in a home invasion will it be in the kitchen stashed, or the den stashed, or the bathroom tub stashed, or the (zoomy) stashed dishwasher stashed gun/Kimber with the VZ grips???
I keep my guns loaded with it. If you look closely on my range report today you can see the green tips on the ammo I took out of my colt laying on the table. my ucc2 is still loaded with it. i had not unloaded it to replace with fmj at that time. I did not have my ruger loaded but it is now and my colt is empty after the miscue with it today. it got demoted.

my back up magazines are loaded with cd ammo as well.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:46 PM   #7

Originally Posted by montanaResident View Post
What did Zoomy do now??????

montanaResident and Hoffbrew like this.
Zoomybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:00 AM   #8

I've used FM hollow points and I've used their XTP also. Both worked just fine. The FM HP's don't look like your standard HP's. I think they cost the same as FMJ. If you are breaking in your gun I would listen to Kimber and use 230gr ball ammo. If you are looking to use self defense rounds use the XTP's or other commercial brands. I use Remington Golden-Saber, Speer gold dot, Federal HST, and I think a lot of people use Winchester too. All good ammo.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:30 AM   #9

Thanks for the responses, My stainless ll has over 500 rounds through it and has no feed problems. I just noticed that the JHP round was only pennies more in price compared to the ball ammo. Wasn't sure what purpose it served since it said not suitable for home defense. Guess if your shooting steel, it would leave a bigger mark than a solid slug. Anyway, need to order 1000 more rounds of 230 grain from them and was just wondering.
glokrok likes this.
Outerlimits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:56 PM   #10

Have shot freedom 45ball ammo 230 grain in my kimbers, Ruger SR and Glock. haven't had any issues so far. Haven't fired any of their HP rounds

Search tags for this page

freedom 45 jhp

Click on a term to search for related topics.