It won't be long !!! - Page 4 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > EVO

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2019, 08:37 PM   #31

Judging from the first report it's NOT a Solo. I don't know if Kimber suggests a break-in period for the EVO? My opinion is that any pistol needs 3-400 rounds fired to get smoothed out. Personally I clean after every 100 rounds or so. Keep in mind that sub compacts aren't designed to be range workhorses or true battle options. They're designed to be CC EDCs. If I can count on a clean sub compact running 100 rounds without failure that's more than enough. Realistically I only carry one magazine. I need to be confident in that, not so much what happens when things are gunked up.
JMO
Rangemeister likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-28-2019, 06:33 AM   #32

Originally Posted by drh View Post
Hi Rangemeister, I understand this is your own testing but i am just curious what is your goal for your reliability testing? If your goal is to test out the EVO and verify whether the gun is an acceptable EDCP, I would suggest not bringing in more variables like micro 9 magazines. I would think you would be testing various ammo with the standard EVO magazines.
The latest packaging for MIcro 9, 6 round flat mags say "Micro 9/EVO" there is no difference between the two mags. And as I mentioned, the failure to lock to the rear also occurred with the extended version, EVO mags. I think it is interesting that the package for the standard 6 rd mag is marked for BOTH guns, while the extended version separates the two, one each for Micro 9 and EVO. Maybe the Micro 9 at my LGS are old stock?

Yes, reliability for EDC. Failure to lock to the rear occasionally is not a deal breaker for me. Jamming is. I wanted to use the 6 rounders to help conceal and the extended one as a "refill" I am now re-thinking this plan. I took the extension off an extended mag to use as a carry mag, but there is no baseplate to keep the spring secure, so will change that plan also.

I'm liking this gun, but my K6s has never jammed
cousinmark likes this.
Rangemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:36 AM   #33

Cousin, well you caught me, I didn't read the manual. Oops. I agree to back and check. I do like carrying an extra mag when I go into certain areas. Not normally an issue tho.
cousinmark likes this.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:46 PM   #34
drh

I looked on Kimber’s site for the Evo manual and it is not posted yet.
I would really like to know two things from the manual:
1) Does Kimber state a break-in period before the gun is considered reliable?
2) Does Kimber call out to use specific ammo as they did for the Solo?
drh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:51 PM   #35
drh

I just talked to my LGS and was told his distributor said Kimber is currently in another production run of the Evo and he would see availability in ~2 weeks.
Would like to see more reviews as the Evo gets out in peoples hands to help me decide whether to grab one or not. I can honestly say I am hesitant but sure do like the look of it.
drh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:37 AM   #36

Originally Posted by drh View Post
I looked on Kimberís site for the Evo manual and it is not posted yet.
I would really like to know two things from the manual:
1) Does Kimber state a break-in period before the gun is considered reliable?
2) Does Kimber call out to use specific ammo as they did for the Solo?
No to both questions. It does say do not use +p+ and change recoil every 3,000 unless you use a lot of +p and then sooner. DAVE999 has a good report on this gun. It's in this section.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:43 PM   #37

Wowsers!

Had a great day on the range today, Cousin, should have read my manual.

Went to range today and shot my EVO CDP, I shot 50 Winchester NATO 124, 20 each Federal 135, 124, and 150. Also shot 20 Sig 365 115gr. Thanks to manual I found out why my rounds were jamming with the short mags and some times with extended ones. I was using the slide stop to close the slide. DUH, book says slingshot the slide and once I did that, I had no jamming at all! Guess I', used to using a 1911 and use the slide stop a lot. Oh well.

The 124 Nato and Federal HST had significant recoil with the EVO. The 135 also had similar recoil. The 115 Sig and 150 Federal had reduced recoil, but both rounds do not have good reputations. IN fact, I use the 135 Federal as a winter round as it does not expand well. The 150 does not have good expansion results. So, the 124 HST has been my preferred self defense and will be again. The EVO handles the round very well.

The gun shots to point of aim. No problems picking up sight picture, in fact the sights pick up target very nicely. I shot strings of two and three, multiple paper targets and reaction time, while I am a little slow, this gun is very fast on acquisition and follow-up shots.

In short, the gun is amazing! I now have several hundred rounds through it and am very confident ti use for my EDC. Now that I know why the gun jammed, it is not an issue. Had zero cycle problems. Will report on accuracy later.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:33 PM   #38

Uh oh.... Red Flag.

While I agree the slingshot method should be used, the fact that the slide stop cannot be to used to release the slide and charge the gun indicates there's an underlying design issue. This smells similar to Solo's select ammo use that blossomed into a failed platform.
ChattanoogaPhil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:40 PM   #39

Hey, great news Rangemeister. It's called a slide stop and not a slide release for a reason. It WASN'T engineered to be used for chambering a round. In fact using it to do that can cause wear on the slide stop and frame, there's friction. For that reason I NEVER drop the slide with the slide stop on any of my pistols. Honestly if that's the only problem you've had and it happened when the pistol was dirty I'd say you're doing fine. Time will tell how the internals hold up to use? I hope you have continued good luck with that hot little shooter and keep us posted.
Be safe :-)
Rangemeister likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:06 AM   #40

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
Uh oh.... Red Flag.

While I agree the slingshot method should be used, the fact that the slide stop cannot be to used to release the slide and charge the gun indicates there's an underlying design issue. This smells similar to Solo's select ammo use that blossomed into a failed platform.
Hey Phil, the slide stop release works about 95% of time with rnd nose and with SOME hollow points. I somehow got into the habit of using the stop as it is easier I guess.