New Evo Owner - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > EVO

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2019, 12:39 PM   #1

New Evo Owner

Picked up an EVO TLE on Friday. I should preface this by stating I'm not a Kimber "fan boy". The first Kimber I shot/owned is a K6S DC revolver, which I've been very happy with, so I ignored the many Kimber-hater comments I hear and read, especially regarding those that are comparing the Evo to the Solo.

Right to the range with 100 rounds of Federal 115 gr FMJ. Zero issues. Mag + 1 as well worked fine. This was right out of the box, no pre-cleaning or breakdown.
This gun shoots much better for me than my G43 or my Walther PPS M2, which are no slouches. Love the bit of heft from metal vs. plastic frame. Recoil is mild for a gun this size and can keep it on target for rapid shooting better then my other single stacks.
Liked it so much I went and bought the CS model as well. Haven't shot it yet.
Took the TLE back to the range today and put another 200 rounds through it today after a cleaning from first range session. 150 of the Federal 115 gr FMJ and 50 Speer gold dot +P. Again, no issues.
I find I can keep my shots on center better than any other small single stack I've shot. I'm no expert, but I shoot 3-4 times per month.

I'm not a trigger snob, but the trigger on the Evo is very nice.

The grips on the CS are very aggressive. The TLE not as much. What is interesting/odd is the TLE comes with the regular sized backstrap and the CS comes with the large. Both are ok, though I think I like the large better in my XL sized hands.

For those that think this looks too "small", it feels much larger in the hand than it looks. I have large hands and the extended mag gives my pinkie a resting place. I'm fine shooting with the pinkie wrapped, which is how I shoot other small guns, which I always carry with the flush-mount mag for conceivability. Next to the flush-mount mag in a G43, the Evo is only slightly longer in grip length.

The sights on all are great in my opinion. Since putting these type sights on a carry gun is the first thing most people do, I applaud Kimber for having them come standard from the factory.

So at 300 rounds with no problems.

The not so great, if you want to call it that.
Holsters not available! From the big names online. Yeah I know, give it time.
No grips to buy yet for the much touted interchangeability. I hope they are coming soon.
The takedown is not as easy as other similar-sized guns. Keeping the slide aligned with pushing the slide stop out takes a bit of getting use to. Likewise when reassembling, have to fiddle to seat the slide stop again. Not bad, but I think much of the fiddling is because it's such a small gun, and also may get better with time.
The recoil spring is pared with a cam block, which is not connected. So be careful when breaking down and assembling so you don't send this flying like I did. Or accidentally toss it in the trash can with some paper towels, like I did. When I first took it down I made a mental note to call Kimber to see if I could buy an extra.
The frame coating (KimberPro), which seems to be an anodization, will scratch or chip. I put a scratch in the TLE when fiddling with getting the slide stop back in. Though my CZ pistol frames will suffer the same issues. And it is a carry gun, so it is expected to see some wear.

The not so great are really very minor and/or come with the territory type stuff. The build and shoot-ability far outweigh these minor things.
So far at least. 300 rounds is just a start, but haven't seen any real user feedback anywhere yet (other than the one post on here).

Last edited by Dave999; 03-10-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Dave999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-10-2019, 01:28 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum from Florida and congratulations on your new pistol. Enjoy and be safe.

KEEP CALM AND RETURN FIRE

NRA Life Member
Dude22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:23 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum from Northeast, Pa. Congratulations on your new EVOs.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2019, 03:42 PM   #4

Pictures........
Old 03-10-2019, 04:48 PM   #5

Dave999, welcome to the site from Tennessee. Congrats on the EVO.

Good Guys: 2 Bad Pistols: 0

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:35 PM   #6

Nice report.

I look forward to EVO buyers confirming my hunch that the EVO will be a home run for Kimber outside of their 1911 platform. We'll see...

And yes... pics!
2sharp2 likes this.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:13 PM   #7

There's an article on the Evo in the April Guns & Ammo. Haven't read it yet.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:45 PM   #8

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
Nice report.

I look forward to EVO buyers confirming my hunch that the EVO will be a home run for Kimber outside of their 1911 platform. We'll see...

And yes... pics!
Phil, should we make a wager on that hunch?

I do like and applaud your positive thinking.
Chuck43 and ChattanoogaPhil like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:20 PM   #9

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
Phil, should we make a wager on that hunch?
Absolutely. Lunch. Either way we win.
Chuck43 likes this.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:38 AM   #10

I read most of the G&A article this morning. I skimmed over much of the article, as modern gun rag writers all feel compelled to "dumb down" their writing for every single article, wasting print space and readers' time going over things like how to field strip the gun, safe handling, why a lower bore axis aids handling, etc. They're like junior high students filling up space by using a big font and double spacing.

But back to the important stuff. Of the 300 rounds fired, there were three failures to feed and one failure to lock back. I don't know if this is relevant, because a writer who spews so much about unimportant stuff and so little about things I do care about, just might not be able to handle a gun well.
Tejun likes this.

Join the NRA

Last edited by RustyIron; 03-11-2019 at 07:45 AM.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote