Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > EVO
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2019, 12:42 AM   #1
drh

Slide Lock-back issue on CS

New Evo SP CS owner and my first Kimber. I Took it to the range for the first time today. I was very impressed how it handled and just how accurate it is. It feels great in the hand and shoots great, Unfortunately I had repeating issues of the slide not locking back. So, out of ~100 rounds, the slide only locked back on the first magazine I shot. After that it would not lock back anymore. I then tested both magazines and ran several full mags as well as partially filled mags with the same result, no lock back after last round.
Note the results were same with both mags and I tested with 4 different types of ammo. I also tried both ways of releasing the slide with same results. I will call Kimber Monday but curious if this is a known problem?
drh is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-15-2019, 05:25 AM   #2

If you haven't already.... Properly clean the gun and generously use a light viscosity oil when the gun is new. And it wouldn't hurt to use a slightly higher pressure rated round like the cheap Winchester USA 124gr NATO during break in. If it still doesn't lock back after last round then I'd call Kimber.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 06-15-2019 at 05:36 AM.
ChattanoogaPhil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:23 AM   #3

Does the Evo have a little spring thing that you must carefully hook onto when you snap in the slide stop?
Never seen one so I don't know just a question.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:19 AM   #4

Not a common issue and probably close to the first problem I have heard of with an EVO. I'm confident it will be easily rectified though. If a good cleaning doesn't take care of it, don't mess with it just contact Kimber they will take care of it.

Congratulations on your EVO, I have handled one and they are sweet, a little expensive for me right now though.
Bigdog likes this.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:31 AM   #5
drh

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
If you haven't already.... Properly clean the gun and generously use a light viscosity oil when the gun is new. And it wouldn't hurt to use a slightly higher pressure rated round like the cheap Winchester USA 124gr NATO during break in. If it still doesn't lock back after last round then I'd call Kimber.
I did not mention but cleaned and lubed before going to the range, also some of the ammo i used was BB 124g with same result so sounds like calling Kimber is the right thing to do.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:37 AM   #6
drh

Originally Posted by KCJeep View Post
Not a common issue and probably close to the first problem I have heard of with an EVO. I'm confident it will be easily rectified though. If a good cleaning doesn't take care of it, don't mess with it just contact Kimber they will take care of it.

Congratulations on your EVO, I have handled one and they are sweet, a little expensive for me right now though.
Agreed, the cost is a little on the high side but i always wanted a Kimber so i went for it. LOL, I was all in when i bought the Evo and also bought a K6S revolver so I have fulfilled my Kimber wants. Really nice guns so a little disappointed in this issue but I donít think it is to serious.
Wingnut likes this.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:39 AM   #7
drh

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
Does the Evo have a little spring thing that you must carefully hook onto when you snap in the slide stop?
Never seen one so I don't know just a question.
I have only broke the gun down once and there is an art to ensuring you put it back together correctly
Old 06-16-2019, 09:02 PM   #8

This is what I am afraid of...slide not locking back after the last round. Now I may be having buyers remorse. Still early in my 10 day wait period before picking mine up. It may not be an issue for some, but if it's what it's supposed to do...but does not lock back, then something is not right. I watched all the YouTube videos out there and with the exception of one review, all never mentioned or showed on their videos concerning this problem. This really sucks! I guess I can only hope that mine has no issues at all.
wheelgunshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:12 PM   #9
drh

Originally Posted by wheelgunshooter View Post
This is what I am afraid of...slide not locking back after the last round. Now I may be having buyers remorse. Still early in my 10 day wait period before picking mine up. It may not be an issue for some, but if it's what it's supposed to do...but does not lock back, then something is not right. I watched all the YouTube videos out there and with the exception of one review, all never mentioned or showed on their videos concerning this problem. This really sucks! I guess I can only hope that mine has no issues at all.
I am also a little uneasy with the results i got but i am happy that i had no failures to feed or extract at 100 rounds. Since I am a first time Kimber owner I am interested to see how Kimber handles this.
I was very apprehensive at buying a Evo this early after the Solo fiasco but the reviews I saw online looked good so i jumped in.
I want this to be my new carry gun but it has to be very reliable first so i will take one step at a time and see how it goes.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:29 PM   #10
drh

Got my Evo SP CS back from Kimber today. The note said they performed the following work:
- Replaced the slide stop and slide stop spring.
- Adjusted the mag follower.

They said they then test fired with 3 magazines of American Eagle 124G and 1 magazine of Hornady 124G XTP

I am not sure how I feel about this for a brand new gun but will take it out soon and see how it performs. Thoughts?

Search tags for this page

kimber evo last round slide lock?

Click on a term to search for related topics.