EVO Raptor-Slide Lockback? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > EVO

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2sharp2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2019, 06:25 PM   #1

EVO Raptor-Slide Lockback?

So after two Solo disasters I bit the bullet and picked up an EVO Raptor. It is a beautiful gun! The $100 rebate will be nice!
First trip to the range was not great...not terrible, but not great for the “premium price” of this firearm. Shot to point of aim, and is amazingly accurate. Recoil is not bad, and I love the profile and weight of this gun. Absolutely perfect for concealed carry. But out of 10 magazines put through it only locked the slide back after the last round on two out ten magazines! Very frustrating. Gave it a thorough cleaning again and will run another 100-200 rounds through this weekend and see if it improves.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:40 PM   #2
wfm

Just curious, what ammo did you use? I had an issue with a 9 mm Kahr when it was new. The slide would not always lock back when using Winchester white box 115 gr. After about 60 rounds, everything straightened out, and no other issues. Good luck, and I agree, EVO Raptor is a beautiful gun.
wfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:40 PM   #3

The EVO's are seemingly being ammo sensitive, I bet will need to be run wetter than everyone thinks. use of 124gr or more and full power are recommended by Kimber and Kimber Talk members.
ChattanoogaPhil likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2019, 09:57 PM   #4

I was also having problems with my Evo CS slide not locking back. After about 200 rounds, I had no further slide lock issues. I was using various FMJ and JHP ammo. The stiff recoil spring is probably causing the slide lock issues.
CPLO788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:53 PM   #5
drh

Originally Posted by Magic Guy View Post
So after two Solo disasters I bit the bullet and picked up an EVO Raptor. It is a beautiful gun! The $100 rebate will be nice!
First trip to the range was not great...not terrible, but not great for the “premium price” of this firearm. Shot to point of aim, and is amazingly accurate. Recoil is not bad, and I love the profile and weight of this gun. Absolutely perfect for concealed carry. But out of 10 magazines put through it only locked the slide back after the last round on two out ten magazines! Very frustrating. Gave it a thorough cleaning again and will run another 100-200 rounds through this weekend and see if it improves.
If you read my thread on lock back issues I had pretty much the same results with my Evo CS, mostly with 115g ammo. I felt the same as you did, really frustrated! I sent my Evo back to Kimber. They changed out my magazine followers and the lock back mechanism. I had 100 rounds thru the gun at that time. I then went back to the range and 115g ammo failed to lock back every time but 124g locked back 100% of the time. I was going to call Kimber again but decided to go back to the range again and see what happened if I put more ammo thru it to try and ensure gun is broke in. So off I went the other night. Besides my 2 magazines that came with the gun, I swung by my LGS and bought a new magazine off the shelf to compare with the original mags. I put 25 mags worth thru both original mags and only 8 of 25 did not lock back. It appeared as I went along that it was getting better but the last 5 of 6 failed to lock back with Blazer Brass 115g. That made me suspicious of Blazer ammo so my final test was with the new mag I just picked up + I only had 2 mags worth of Blazer 115g ammo and 3 mags of UMC ammo left. I proceeded to put the 5 mags worth of ammo (35 rounds) all thru the new mag and the slide locked back on all 5 mags. This made me very happy so I went back to my LGS and bought a second new mag. My plan is to load 7 rounds in each of the two original mags and just let them sit loaded for a few days. I then want to go back to the range and put some more 115g thru them to see if it makes any difference, not to mention I now have a total of just under 300 rounds thru the gun so if this gun/magazines needed a break-in, I should be about there and finally want to do more testing with the two new mags. Bottom line, Not where I wanted to be with this gun but I still have hope it is going to work out and become my EDC.
drh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:25 PM   #6

Having to jump these hoops is beyond ridiculous. Too bad we couldn’t wait to pay until our purchase was “broke in” or working right.
Originally Posted by drh View Post
If you read my thread on lock back issues I had pretty much the same results with my Evo CS, mostly with 115g ammo. I felt the same as you did, really frustrated! I sent my Evo back to Kimber. They changed out my magazine followers and the lock back mechanism. I had 100 rounds thru the gun at that time. I then went back to the range and 115g ammo failed to lock back every time but 124g locked back 100% of the time. I was going to call Kimber again but decided to go back to the range again and see what happened if I put more ammo thru it to try and ensure gun is broke in. So off I went the other night. Besides my 2 magazines that came with the gun, I swung by my LGS and bought a new magazine off the shelf to compare with the original mags. I put 25 mags worth thru both original mags and only 8 of 25 did not lock back. It appeared as I went along that it was getting better but the last 5 of 6 failed to lock back with Blazer Brass 115g. That made me suspicious of Blazer ammo so my final test was with the new mag I just picked up + I only had 2 mags worth of Blazer 115g ammo and 3 mags of UMC ammo left. I proceeded to put the 5 mags worth of ammo (35 rounds) all thru the new mag and the slide locked back on all 5 mags. This made me very happy so I went back to my LGS and bought a second new mag. My plan is to load 7 rounds in each of the two original mags and just let them sit loaded for a few days. I then want to go back to the range and put some more 115g thru them to see if it makes any difference, not to mention I now have a total of just under 300 rounds thru the gun so if this gun/magazines needed a break-in, I should be about there and finally want to do more testing with the two new mags. Bottom line, Not where I wanted to be with this gun but I still have hope it is going to work out and become my EDC.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:01 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
Having to jump these hoops is beyond ridiculous. Too bad we couldn’t wait to pay until our purchase was “broke in” or working right.
Is it?

Maybe a $5,000 pistol from Wilson Combat is the way to go to avoid such ridiculousness. Oh wait...

Handgun FAQ - Wilson Combat

BREAKING IN

Your new pistol is tightly fitted to very close tolerances to achieve maximum accuracy.

Even though a Wilson Combat pistol has been thoroughly tested by a professional test shooter with almost 100 rounds of our custom loaded ammunition, it will still require a thorough break-in to achieve reliable function across a broad spectrum of shooters and ammunition.

Load and unload your new magazines several times and keep them loaded for several days in advance of your first range day to allow the stiff springs to take an initial set. This will make them easier to load and reduce pressure on the bottom of the slide that could cause a malfunction.

Ensure that your pistol is well lubricated with a light oil like Ultima Lube II Oil or Ultima Lube II Lite Oil during break in.

Shoot a minimum of 300- 500 rounds of full charge ammunition through your pistol prior to disassembly and cleaning for the first time. Keep your custom pistol well lubricated throughout this break-in period. If you experience recurrent malfunctions, clean and lubricate your pistol during break in regardless of round count. Firearms will require fresh lubrication when new since most guns leave the shop with minimal lubricant added.

9mm pistols may require service ammunition for break in depending on the grip strength and stance of the shooter.

-----------

We all want our guns to operate perfectly out of the box, but some guns fit tighter than others and require a bit more time. Light oil, higher pressure rounds and some patience is often all that is required.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 07-19-2019 at 03:17 PM.
ChattanoogaPhil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:46 AM   #8

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
Is it?

Maybe a $5,000 pistol from Wilson Combat is the way to go to avoid such ridiculousness. Oh wait...

Handgun FAQ - Wilson Combat

BREAKING IN

Your new pistol is tightly fitted to very close tolerances to achieve maximum accuracy.

Even though a Wilson Combat pistol has been thoroughly tested by a professional test shooter with almost 100 rounds of our custom loaded ammunition, it will still require a thorough break-in to achieve reliable function across a broad spectrum of shooters and ammunition.

Load and unload your new magazines several times and keep them loaded for several days in advance of your first range day to allow the stiff springs to take an initial set. This will make them easier to load and reduce pressure on the bottom of the slide that could cause a malfunction.

Ensure that your pistol is well lubricated with a light oil like Ultima Lube II Oil or Ultima Lube II Lite Oil during break in.

Shoot a minimum of 300- 500 rounds of full charge ammunition through your pistol prior to disassembly and cleaning for the first time. Keep your custom pistol well lubricated throughout this break-in period. If you experience recurrent malfunctions, clean and lubricate your pistol during break in regardless of round count. Firearms will require fresh lubrication when new since most guns leave the shop with minimal lubricant added.

9mm pistols may require service ammunition for break in depending on the grip strength and stance of the shooter.

-----------

We all want our guns to operate perfectly out of the box, but some guns fit tighter than others and require a bit more time. Light oil, higher pressure rounds and some patience is often all that is required.

I agree with this. It jives with my experience as well. Frankly, I accept the break-in period as just something that comes with owning a tightly fit pistol. Seems like it is more the case than not.

I haven't shot an EVO but would like to. I'll admit I am intrigued by the gun
Jimmo952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:51 PM   #9

Ammo sensitive?

I don’t want to think the EVO is ammo sensitive and will be really disappointed if it is. I shot all 115 g ammo...Federal brass and WWB Brass.
Will give it a go with 124g next go round and see what happens.