New EVO TLE first range report. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > EVO

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2019, 08:45 PM  

New EVO TLE first range report.

Howdy KT,

As some of you may know, I was recently seduced into buying a Kimber EVO TLE. Well today I finally made it to the range.

I will give you a spoiler right off... PERFECT.

So I had a hodge podge of 9mm around, not as much as I wanted but off I went. Came out to about 150+ rounds. Not one single issue of any kind. Perfect feeding, whether shooting, sling shotting the slide or using the slide lock made no difference. Perfect extraction, very consistent high at 3 o'clock. Slide lock backs on an empty mag every single time. It shot perfectly on my 6 o'clock hold which is my preferred sight picture.

I shot 50 rounds of Lawman 124 grain, 50 rounds of WWB 147 grain, about 40 rounds of HST 147 grain, and 15 rounds of Hornady American Gunner XTP 124 grain. The Hornady was the softest shooting of the bunch, but everything fed, fired and ejected perfectly with slide lock backs on an empty mag.

None of the silly stuff that sometimes happens, (My Sig and Kahr) no stupid mag drop when firing, no unintentional slide locks with my thumb, none of that nonsense.

This gun is really, really well thought out. The EVO is not just an alloy framed Glock or other plastic gun clone. Kimber really spent some time on these. The sights are excellent. The trigger rocks. The texturing on the grips, and the checkering on the front and back of the grip are perfect. Just rough enough to give you good purchase, but not so rough they abrade you or make your hand sore in any way. The magazine release is large, exactly where my thumb needs it to be and is easily activated without shifting my hand at all. Again, perfect.

I hadn't taken it down until today, I took it apart for a quick wipe down and lube prior to shooting. The slide pin removes like a 1911, and came out with just my fingers when lined up, no prying. Once removed the slide comes right off without pulling the trigger. Slide fit and finish were surprisingly good, and the rails are rather unique as well. They feature a design that looks to me to offer more contact area than most. The recoil spring set up is stiffer than most, and is a dual spring set up with a flat wire and a smaller coil. Again this is no Glock clone, the recoil lug area is very unique, and the manner in which the guide rod fits uses another loose piece. Clearly somebody went to a lot of trouble to build a better mouse trap. I can't even explain it I will need to post a pic.

Man this is a nice gun. Way nicer than the Kahr I dumped to get it. I want to practice with it more, I know I will be even more proficient with it if I do, but I am already satisfied I can carry it without the slightest concern.

Thanks Kimber!

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
Old 08-02-2019, 03:28 AM  

Another good range report on the EVO. People are gonna go Hummmmmmm.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:02 AM  

I’m glad to hear another positive review of the EVO. Enjoy your new pistol.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:15 AM  

Great range report well thought out and answered all my questions.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:15 PM  

One thing I picked up on that I hadn't noticed before, is that racking the slide takes above average effort. It should aid in the EVO handling warmer loads...I can't help but wonder if it has something to do with the only negative reports I have seen, that being failure to lock back on an empty magazine when using cheap 115 grain loads.

I would have run some generic 115s out of curiosity if I would have had them, but I didn't.

I will probably buy some Lawman 115s, but those are warmer loads and may not reveal much new. Lawmans usually run a bit over 100 fps faster than the equivalent Blazer Brass.
Bigdog likes this.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:26 PM  

Nice write up, glad you love it.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:30 PM  

Wish there was a LOVE...I love to see Kimber and most other customer focused companies hit a home run!

Originally Posted by KCJeep View Post
Howdy KT,

As some of you may know, I was recently seduced into buying a Kimber EVO TLE. Well today I finally made it to the range.

I will give you a spoiler right off... PERFECT.

So I had a hodge podge of 9mm around, not as much as I wanted but off I went. Came out to about 150+ rounds. Not one single issue of any kind. Perfect feeding, whether shooting, sling shotting the slide or using the slide lock made no difference. Perfect extraction, very consistent high at 3 o'clock. Slide lock backs on an empty mag every single time. It shot perfectly on my 6 o'clock hold which is my preferred sight picture.

I shot 50 rounds of Lawman 124 grain, 50 rounds of WWB 147 grain, about 40 rounds of HST 147 grain, and 15 rounds of Hornady American Gunner XTP 124 grain. The Hornady was the softest shooting of the bunch, but everything fed, fired and ejected perfectly with slide lock backs on an empty mag.

None of the silly stuff that sometimes happens, (My Sig and Kahr) no stupid mag drop when firing, no unintentional slide locks with my thumb, none of that nonsense.

This gun is really, really well thought out. The EVO is not just an alloy framed Glock or other plastic gun clone. Kimber really spent some time on these. The sights are excellent. The trigger rocks. The texturing on the grips, and the checkering on the front and back of the grip are perfect. Just rough enough to give you good purchase, but not so rough they abrade you or make your hand sore in any way. The magazine release is large, exactly where my thumb needs it to be and is easily activated without shifting my hand at all. Again, perfect.

I hadn't taken it down until today, I took it apart for a quick wipe down and lube prior to shooting. The slide pin removes like a 1911, and came out with just my fingers when lined up, no prying. Once removed the slide comes right off without pulling the trigger. Slide fit and finish were surprisingly good, and the rails are rather unique as well. They feature a design that looks to me to offer more contact area than most. The recoil spring set up is stiffer than most, and is a dual spring set up with a flat wire and a smaller coil. Again this is no Glock clone, the recoil lug area is very unique, and the manner in which the guide rod fits uses another loose piece. Clearly somebody went to a lot of trouble to build a better mouse trap. I can't even explain it I will need to post a pic.

Man this is a nice gun. Way nicer than the Kahr I dumped to get it. I want to practice with it more, I know I will be even more proficient with it if I do, but I am already satisfied I can carry it without the slightest concern.

Thanks Kimber!
Old 08-07-2019, 02:26 PM  

Originally Posted by KCJeep View Post
I would have run some generic 115s out of curiosity if I would have had them, but I didn't.
I ran some 115gr reloads and had no FTF, FTE, or lockback issues. Sweet and handsome...just like me! hahaha!
KCJeep likes this.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:04 PM  

I have since purchased some 115s, but have not shot them yet. I will see how they do. Digging around researching good 115 grain loads, I noticed a lot of guys reported better accuracy with 124s (not EVO owners, just 9mm shooters in general). It also occurred to me 124 grains were what the Germans used. I am a fan of velocity for expansion and in a short barreled pistol like the EVO that would normally mean a speedy 115 grain load, but if I can tell an accuracy difference 124s it will be.

Last edited by KCJeep; 08-07-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:09 PM  

As I said in another thread, I handled one and they really feel good. Glad to hear all the good reports.