Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > EVO

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By KCJeep
  • 1 Post By KCJeep

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2019, 11:38 AM   #1

Evo Ammo observation

Carry ammo is so expensive these days I thought I'd share an observation with other Evo owners, if only to save a buck.

I have been fiddling around with trying to decide what to carry in my new Evo. I am currently carrying 147 grain HSTs that I already had on hand, and they shoot great, but I am not a fan of 147s in short barreled 9mms. I sorta settled on trying Hornady's Critical Defense, it always shoots really well for me, so I bought a box.

I always try hand cycling first, and sure enough when I try to sling shot load the Critical Defense from a full mag, every third mag or so the rubber tip on the Critical Defense would manage to snag on the bottom of the feed ramp and create a pretty good and annoying jam. I have heard of this happening in other weapons from other shooters, but this is the first time I have actually experienced it. Why Hornady doesn't make the rubber tip about 2mm shorter so it doesn't stick out I will never know, but they don't.

I would bet money if one loaded properly you could run through the whole mag shooting the gun without any issue. But, I am not going to carry a round that if I am in the (highly unlikely) situation of needing to reload just to have it hang up at the most inopportune time.

No dogging the ammo, it's really good stuff I use it in other guns I will save this box for something else. I just want to give other Evo owners a heads up this may not be the best carry ammo choice for the Evo.

Ordered some Fiocchi Extrema 115 XTP's to try next. XTPs have always fed like a dream in anything I've tried them in, they consistently perform very well in testing, and the Fiocchis are considerably less than the Critical Defense anyway.

For what it's worth....
Bigdog and Gijoejoe like this.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-14-2019, 04:20 PM   #2

My Micro 9 doesn't like them. The same thing happens.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:12 AM   #3

Got the Fiocchi XTPs in. I learned that Academy really will ship you 2 little boxes of ammo for free in 3 days. Nice.

And as expected the XTPs hand function/test flawlessly. After I burn a few up will be my carry ammo.
Bigdog likes this.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:20 PM   #4

Originally Posted by KCJeep View Post
Got the Fiocchi XTPs in. I learned that Academy really will ship you 2 little boxes of ammo for free in 3 days. Nice.

And as expected the XTPs hand function/test flawlessly. After I burn a few up will be my carry ammo.
+1
Edibrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:25 PM   #5

Evo Ammo observation

Check out Target Sports for the 124 grain HSTís. I watch their sales and usually find them for $29 something for a box of 50. Pretty reasonable for high quality defense ammo thatís proven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Albert.Cairns; 08-16-2019 at 10:31 PM.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:05 PM   #6

I’m literally carrying my EVO CS with the Critical Defense Ammo in it. This is good to know. Will probably swap out the ammo for something more reliable.
Gijoejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:31 PM   #7

Yeah I always hand function test and also shoot ammo before I carry it. This is why. I have never had an issue with Critical Defense in anything else, but not a good choice for the Evo or Micro 9 apparently.