Standard vs Large Swell Backstrap - Kimber Forum

Kimber


Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > EVO

Like Tree8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2019, 09:44 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 192
Standard vs Large Swell Backstrap

The CS comes with large swell backstrap. The Kimber shop sells a CS standard swell backstrap. Has anyone tried it? If so, what's you're take?
Warthogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-16-2019, 09:56 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
motormac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 786
I have replaced the standard side grips with the small, and I have left the backstrap in place. I like the smaller sides, and I have no issues. I had another shooter, who was looking to purchase an EVO SP, try my EVO SP CDP, and he was uncertain about the grip. He was a larger person than I, so it seems as if it is individual preference. My EVO SP CDP comes with the standard backstrap, so I left it on the pistol, and replaced the side grips with the small size. The small side grips feel more comfortable to me than the original grips that came on the pistol.

Last edited by motormac; 12-17-2019 at 12:14 PM.
motormac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:55 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Rick in Oregon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: High Desert of Central Oregon
Posts: 1,490
I'm thinking you are referring to the two styles of mainspring housings. To that end, the style of MSH is purely personal, some like flat, some like the arched MSH. Depends on your hand size and shooting style.

Easily changed out from one to the other.
Chuck43 and 2sharp2 like this.
__________________
Semper Fortis
USN Amphibious/RVN 1966
NRA Life, VVA

Last edited by Rick in Oregon; 12-17-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 12-17-2019, 05:48 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Lakeland, Fl
Posts: 51
I tried to get that little allen screw out of the the bottom of my EVO but the wrench just spun. Haven't tried penetrating oil yet.

Last edited by Wally1; 12-18-2019 at 04:35 AM.
Wally1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:00 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
KCJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 752
Rick he is talking about the Evo not 1911s.

I haven't messed with mine. I did put ( I know I know) at Hogue grip on it. The G10 grips were just a little abrasive to me and I like the finger groove and palm swell on the Hogue. Kimber does have the Evo options on the site now, at first they weren't available.
__________________
Pro Carry II .45 ACP
EVO TLE 9mm...and a bunch of other stuff.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:00 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
motormac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 786
Originally Posted by Wally1 View Post
I tried to get that little allen screw out of the the bottom of my EVO but it just wrench just spun. Haven't tried penetrating oil yet.
Wally1, I used a 1.5mm wrench (manual calls for 1/16" wrench), and turned anti-clockwise/counterclockwise for many turns, as the allen screw has a very fine thread. Back it out only about 3/16" (do not remove from the threads), in order to remove the backstrap and side panels. You shouldn't require oil for this task.
Grip System Grip Removal NOTE: Grip removal is not necessary for cleaning or user maintenance. 1. Using a 1/16” hex driver, loosen the backstrap set screw located on bottom of frame. Screw should protrude ~1/4” from frame. NOTE: The backstrap set screw does not need to be removed. 2. Push backstrap down toward bottom of frame approximately 1/2” and stop. 3. Grip the protruding portion of the backstrap and pull rearward, removing the backstrap from the pistol.
Chuck43, JC45 and KCJeep like this.

Last edited by motormac; 12-17-2019 at 10:08 PM.
motormac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:26 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Rick in Oregon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: High Desert of Central Oregon
Posts: 1,490
Originally Posted by KCJeep View Post
Rick he is talking about the Evo not 1911s.
Oops....guess I need to actually read all the previous posts prior to hitting 'send'?

Sorry, I'll try to pay better attention........backstrap, mainspring housing.....it's all so confusing!
__________________
Semper Fortis
USN Amphibious/RVN 1966
NRA Life, VVA
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 03:44 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Lakeland, Fl
Posts: 51
Originally Posted by motormac View Post
Wally1, I used a 1.5mm wrench (manual calls for 1/16" wrench), and turned anti-clockwise/counterclockwise for many turns, as the allen screw has a very fine thread. Back it out only about 3/16" (do not remove from the threads), in order to remove the backstrap and side panels. You shouldn't require oil for this task.
Grip System Grip Removal NOTE: Grip removal is not necessary for cleaning or user maintenance. 1. Using a 1/16 hex driver, loosen the backstrap set screw located on bottom of frame. Screw should protrude ~1/4 from frame. NOTE: The backstrap set screw does not need to be removed. 2. Push backstrap down toward bottom of frame approximately 1/2 and stop. 3. Grip the protruding portion of the backstrap and pull rearward, removing the backstrap from the pistol.
Thank you! The 1.5 mm did the trick and like you said - no oil required.
Wally1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:31 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
motormac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 786
1/16" = .0625"
1.5mm = .05905511811"
0.003444" smaller
I have used 1/16" wrench, also, and it works on my EVO SP CDP.

Last edited by motormac; 12-18-2019 at 07:05 PM.
motormac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:40 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 192
Originally Posted by KCJeep View Post
Rick he is talking about the Evo not 1911s.

I haven't messed with mine. I did put ( I know I know) at Hogue grip on it. The G10 grips were just a little abrasive to me and I like the finger groove and palm swell on the Hogue. Kimber does have the Evo options on the site now, at first they weren't available.
The Hogue website doesn't have any grips listed for the Evo. Did you mean the Micro 9? If yes, did they fit without any 'fitting'?
Warthogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On