Pulled the trigger and bought a P938 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Classifieds > Firearms Only

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2014, 12:46 PM   #1

Pulled the trigger and bought a P938

Well I thought I always wanted a P938 BRG. I bought one this morning and now have buyers remorse. It is ok but does not compare to my SOLO in finish and appearance. The truth is I am concerned about the SOLO even though I sent it back and had it worked on. I will try them both this next spring and decide if one should move on down the road.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
Super Moderator

What don't you like about it Dan? I just bought the P938 SAS and I'm really liking it, it's a perfect match to my P238 SAS. The difference in them other then caliber is that the P938 is about 3/8 of an inch longer.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:23 PM   #3

One thing about the P938 Is that you can use any 9mm ammo they are not picky the way a Solo is. You might find it better on your trigger finger if you remove the serrations on the front of the trigger.
ďDenial kills you twice. It kills you once, at your moment of truth when you are not physically prepared: You didnít bring your gun; you didnít train. Your only defense was wishful thinking. Hope is not a strategy. Denial kills you a second time because even if you do physically survive, you are psychologically shattered by fear, helplessness, horror and shame at your moment of truth.Ē

NRA certified pistol Instructor.
v35b is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #4

Hi Chuck,

I haven't even fired it yet so I know I am not being objective. The Solo is so smooth on all surfaces and the P938 isn't. The trigger is sharp to the touch but I guess I could replace the trigger. I will just have to get use to it and maybe that will come faster than I think.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:43 PM   #5
Super Moderator

The reason I went with the SAS model on both guns is because they have what Kimber calls the "Carry Melt". Sig says "The pistol has gone through a radical dehorning process resulting in an ultra smooth, snag free profile thatís ideal for concealed carry." I've been know refer to the SAS designation as Slick As Sh*t.
MPO Southy likes this.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:56 PM   #6

P938 is a good choice in 9mm. Will eat any 9mm loads. Only issue with P938 is upon cleaning, you will become familiar with "Slinky", or as sometimes called "the Recoil spring from Hell".....
Old 12-12-2014, 04:29 PM   #7

Congrats on the new Sig..
A buddy of mine just bought the scorpion model and loves it..
Shoots everything he puts into it..
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 04:56 PM   #8

Hey, Nel. I have both. I'm torn over which I like better. The Solo is a beautiful example of design and workmanship. The 938 is reliable with whatever I throw at it.

There are two things to watch for on the 938. There have been multiple reports of the guide rod becoming unscrewed. Put a drop of wicking-grade Loctite on it now to head off any potential problems. The other thing to watch for is wear on the mainspring housing. The round projection that holds the sear spring in place has been known to wear, allowing the spring to walk up and cause failures to fire. Keep an eye on it.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:12 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Nellybelle View Post
I haven't even fired it yet so I know I am not being objective.
I would offer you this, think of this pistol as a "needed tool."

I have lots of knives and handguns I enjoy collecting. I also have "tools." You should see the crud I stick my Lansky TWL and ZT0121 into. I do not have a P938, but I do have the .380 version, and it has a place in safety and security.

In fact, I hate the recoil of my SW 360PD, it's an abomination. But "little gun big holes" is a real need, and in that realm it excels.

You may hate this little P938 now. Shoot it, clean it, shoot it again. Then one day you'll be going out for a bike ride or a hike, and you see it's just what you need. I will tell you this, most of the "Hollywood ego knives" you see in TK magazine and purchased by my clients sit in drawers under a layer of dust while they rot.

But I intend to shoot the screws out of my P238 and my new Ultra II.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post

But I intend to shoot the screws out of my P238 and my new Ultra II.

Put some #60 o-rings under the heads of those screws and they won't shoot loose.
Oreste likes this.

Search tags for this page

kimber solo versus p938

p938

sig sauer p938 sas compare kimber solo

Click on a term to search for related topics.