Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Gunsmith

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RustyIron

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2016, 10:27 AM   #1
Banned

Trigger Job on Colt Combat Elite

I've had this pistol for a few years, and it is definitely the worst out of the box trigger I've ever felt. Strong and gritty. I took it apart and started working on the contact points, and here are some pictures. After an hour plus, the grittiness is gone, but it is still a strong pull. Maybe a bit less but still a lot more then I like. I'll go into it again later. I'll try putting the mainspring from the Kimber in since it has a lighter trigger after I cut some coils from the mainspring.

Like all these production 1911s the sear face was not finished, nor level, and in this case no relief cut in the sear. Little did I know, when I bought this, that Colt ships 1911s that are so poorly finished and needing work.

Last edited by montanaResident; 08-04-2016 at 09:12 AM.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-11-2016, 10:44 AM   #2

Nice, Montana. I can live with a heavy trigger, but it's a crunchy trigger that really chaps my hide.

I'm not a fan of reducing the main spring weight, as it has the potential to decrease the reliability.

Only a couple weeks ago I got my first trigger gauge. It's been fun testing out all my guns, learning the real numbers for guns that I originally adjusted just by feel.
montanaResident likes this.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:57 AM   #3
Banned

I've about convinced myself that the guns are not responsive to my efforts because of the MIM components. The best trigger is my Colt XSE that has Wilson Bulletproof parts; CNC machined from hardened steel. I'll just go as far as I can, without investing a bunch of money for something that is mostly about experimenting and learning about guns.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:33 PM   #4

Originally Posted by montanaResident View Post
because of the MIM components.
Dude! Don't MAKE me put you on my "Ignore" list!

I'd wager that Wilson machines their parts, hardens them, then finish grinds them. It's great that they're hard, so they won't wear as much through use. But the slick operation is surely due to the care in finishing. You can do a good job with your lowly hamburger parts. Keep going. If you accidentally goof it up, just order some new MIM parts. Or maybe that will be enough incentive to splurge and order up the Wilson parts.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:48 AM   #5
Banned

I swapped out the mainspring housings of several 1911s, and I could feel no difference in the trigger pull weight. Oh Well, all in the collection are good or great.