Is cocked and locked dangerous - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Gunsmith

Like Tree90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2016, 08:37 AM   #1
Banned

Is cocked and locked dangerous

Since I am a hobby gunsmith, I regularly ask myself this question. This is the best write up on this topic with real life stories to give it credence.

Is Cocked and Locked Dangerous?
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-17-2016, 09:02 AM   #2

Good read, thanks.

Always be ready - 5.11
Hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:18 AM   #3

Handling a cocked and locked 1911 in an unsafe manner is dangerous. Seriously. Don't do it.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2016, 11:00 AM   #4
Super Moderator

No more dangerous then the person handling it.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:18 PM   #5

...I will just toss the "condition 3" or "3+" idea out there for any homes where there are kids in the mix. The physical requirements necessary to chamber that first round make a "condition 3" pistol way safer in the hands of a 7 year old. My home defense gun (Ruger LC9s) is kept on a hidden shelf in the nightstand, in "condition 3+" for that reason. "Condition 3+" is unchambered round in the magazine "+" the safety on. You've got to swipe the thumb safety to release the slide, then beyond that the recoil spring is 18#ish. That being said in my home everything is otherwise locked away. If not for my daughter I'd have no problem with keeping a "condition 1" 1911 in a drawer.
RugerLuger likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 04:41 PM   #6

There are many good articles on that web site. I would never have a firearm in direct access to a small child. Be it an auto cocked and locked or a wheel gun.

My dad use to say no one was ever accidentally shot by a loaded firearm.
It was always the unloaded gun that killed someone. As I got older that finally made sense. " I didn't know it was loaded"
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 04:41 PM   #7

It always amazes me how many think a glock and other similar pistols are so much safer than a cocked and locked 1911, when in my mind they are much more unsafe.

For a glock to fire (with a round chambered) all that has to happen is one thing, the trigger is pulled.

For a 1911 to fire (cocked and locked) three things have to happen. ALL THREE. 1) the manual safety has to be off, 2) the grip safety has to be disengaged and 3) the trigger has to be pulled. (The firing pin block is a wonderful safety feature added to the 1911 long ago.)

That sure seems safer to me than the glock style pistol. If only those people could see the "hammer" (striker) on the glock and see it as they do a 1911 then they might change their attitudes.

I don't recall ever hearing the term "1911 leg" but I sure have heard the term "glock leg" before.

Thanks Montana for the article.
Chuck43, starnovi, CB236 and 2 others like this.
Texas Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 04:51 PM   #8

In my house, my kids are grown but my wife keeps one of our grandson's during the workweek. I have bought two Liberty pistol vaults for my and her pistol. We never leave our pistols lying around. They are either on us or in the pistol vault locked away. We've programmed them with a semi-complex code so the kids don't accidentally open the vault just by pushing the buttons. We never let the grand kids see us putting the pistols in the vault or take them out. Yet they are there if we need them.

My opinion: I'd rather die trying to get to my pistol than to live with the knowledge one of my grand kids died because grand pa didn't take proper safety measures.
Texas Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:04 PM   #9

My opinion: I'd rather die trying to get to my pistol than to live with the knowledge one of my grand kids died because grand pa didn't take proper safety measures.
Very true!!
OLE442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:29 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Nellybelle View Post
My dad use to say no one was ever accidentally shot by a loaded firearm.
It was always the unloaded gun that killed someone. As I got older that finally made sense. " I didn't know it was loaded"
I think our fathers went to the same school, I must have been 6 or 7 when my dad first said that to me.

Search tags for this page

is cocked and locked dangerous

Click on a term to search for related topics.