Hammer Spur / Main Spring PROBLEM! - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Gunsmith

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2017, 07:31 PM   #1

Hammer Spur / Main Spring PROBLEM!

I am new to the forum, and needing help.

I have an older Pro Tactical II Special Edition bought used a year ago. The gun has ran pretty decent, but I wanted to "tune it up" with new springs and such. I've ran several hundred rounds through it, had a couple of FTE issues and a couple of times where it felt like the grip safety wasn't working and it failed to fire. I had to bump it and really pull on the trigger to get it to fire. Then it ran ok. Seemed to happen during rapid fire most often. Not good at all on a EDC personal defense gun. And it hits so sweet, I had to fix it.

So I ordered a spring set and an extractor and took the gun apart. Put it back together and it ran fine. But I reviewed a few vids on U Tube and looked at some diagrams and there was a problem.

There was no Main spring retention pin in the Main spring housing assembly. The Main spring and cap protruded out from the top of the housing assembly. This set off some concerns obviously, although it went back together and fired ok.

So I ordered the Main spring retention pin, disassembled it again, reassembled according to the vids and the diagrams and no good!

The hammer hung loose. It seems like the hammer spur is too short to fully seat into the Main spring housing properly. Now, I took it apart, reassembled without the pin with the Main spring protruding, which I now know to be incorrect and it works. But I am not happy. This is not right.

I called Kimber tech and they agree I have a problem. So I figure somebody somewhere prior to me has done some Jŗck leg service. Most likely put a incorrect hammer and spur assembly in it. Who knows, maybe a hammer assembly for a compact? And managed to field engineer it by incorrectly assembling it. When pulling the hammer back when incorrectly assembled, there's significant pressure, and I've never had a FTF with a light hammer strike.

Anyone able to confirm or deny? Anyone have the dimensions of the hammer spur? Kimber was not able to provide this info.

This is as best I can tell a Commander size, with a four inch barrel and a full size grip. The spur looks to be about a quarter inch short, roughly. That's why I wondered about a hammer assembly for a compact with a four inch barrel and short grip. I really don't know, I guess I will order a new hammer assembly but wanted to check here first. The Main spring housing assembly appears aftermarket as it is metal not plastic.

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to make sure I gave all pertinent info. Wish I had measured the hammer spur before I put it back together though. Pic attached shows Main spring housing assembly components and dimensions. Assuming I have to buy a new hammer assembly, any preferences? I tend to Wilson Combat.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

I took her down again and measured the strut. 2.2 inches. Looks correct. Now I'm really confused.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0275.JPG (3.92 MB, 22 views)
Chuck43 likes this.

Last edited by NGW1959; 01-18-2017 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Update on hammer spur/strut
NGW1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-18-2017, 08:07 PM   #2

So there are no assumptions made. Can you provide a photo of the hammer and strut? Also of the bottom of the mainspring housing.

I know that was the pre runner to the current but I guess no defunct Tactical line, but old pix I find show it with a mag well. That why I want to see the bottom of the MSH.

As a side note, Kimber has always used 21# mainsprings in their Custom and Pro models. Others production makers can use 23-28.
Chuck43, 2sharp2 and NGW1959 like this.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:10 PM   #3

Updated photo

Additional views of the parts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0282.JPG (2.60 MB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0283.JPG (2.40 MB, 10 views)
Chuck43 likes this.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:28 PM   #4

Main spring housing views

Yes, assumptions made. But checked Brownell's for a replacement and found specs on strut. 2.2" indicated.

Previous pics show the spring and caps as they were on disassembly and I replaced them as they were taken out.

Thoroughly mystified at this point. Years of experience tell me it is probably something simple and / or obvious and I am just ignorant or missing it.

Thanks for the help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0290.JPG (911.0 KB, 14 views)
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:30 PM   #5

To be clear, yes, I made some assumptions I think. Can't be too proud to ask for help though.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:33 PM   #6

The hammer and strut appear to be OEM without seeing close up and without getting in to all the details...I believe it to be. He is a modernized CAD of the original military contract blueprints on the strut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image 1-18-17 at 8.28 PM.jpg (102.3 KB, 11 views)
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:51 PM   #7

Just to confirm how you are putting in the guts of the mainspring housing together.

Drop pin retainer into bottom (the conical piece) and lower spring into the tunnel and onto the shaft of pin retainer. Or place spring on pin retainer and slide both into bottom of MSH tunnel.

Place mainspring cap onto spring, shaft into spring.

Now it can get tricky without a soft jawed vise. Use a punch and press on the mainspring cap as hard as you can depressing the whole assembly past the retainer pin hole and push in the small retainer pin.

You can see that if you did not depress fully, you could put the small pin just below the cup in the recessed collar. The spring assembly is then trapped and cannot be depressed/compressed in the cock position and drive the hammer.

This would prevent cocking. But when assembled, you could cock the hammer to the rear correct?
Chuck43, Insta-Gator and 2sharp2 like this.

Last edited by Mike240; 01-18-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Mike240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:53 PM   #8

When all parts are in the MSH right, you should be able to use a punch and push mainspring down considerably. If it won't travel, remove small pin and start over.

So guessing the you could cock the hammer back and it would go forward, what is meant by hung loose?
Chuck43 and 2sharp2 like this.

Last edited by Mike240; 01-18-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Mike240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:31 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois NGW1959.
NGW1959 likes this.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:22 PM   #10

I did try to put the pin in the first time with the cap wrong. It didn't take long to see that wasn't going to work. After that it was correct and worked as it should compressing and releasing with the housing.

I'm going to try one more time. Maybe I missed the hammer spur onto the Main spring cap somehow. The strut looks correct as far as length. Everything works fine and fits fine otherwise.

That's all that's left, is maybe I got the hammer spur behind the main spring housing somehow.

A real head scratcher.