Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Gunsmith
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2017, 04:46 AM   #1

Swartz safety doesn't work as others have shown

Hi guys,
So I"m reading about how to check the Swartz safety in my new Kimber Custom II, and I find it only works when the beaver tail is engaged.

I hold the trigger with the safety engaged and rack the slide. I keep holding the trigger but release the safety and the tail releases part way as in the video, but I can't push in the firing pin as they show.

I push in the tail safety, pull the trigger, and the firing pin releases. As long as I'm holding the tail safety the firing pin is working.

Do I send this back to Kimber, or are they sending them out like this? Anyone else with a new Kimber try testing the Swartz safety and getting the same results?

I field strip it to look at the pin that moves up, and it has no pressure on it at all, until I engage the tail safety which moves that little pin up about 3/16"

Last edited by Laars; 03-07-2017 at 04:52 AM.
Laars is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-07-2017, 05:50 AM   #2
Super Moderator

If I'm understanding you correctly your firing pin safety is working properly. The grip safety has to be depressed in order for the firing pin safety to release the firing pin.
2sharp2, krunchnik and Laars like this.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:03 AM   #3

Yes, but it seems if you cycle the slide and pull the trigger, and keep holding the trigger, and re cycle it and don't let go of the trigger, but release the tail safety, the firing pin should still be able to move if pushed. Here is the video, that is explaining this. It seems others on here have also posted this as well.

Mine doesn't do this. It only works if I engage the tail safety, which to me makes sense but I'm now concerned about shooting it.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:21 AM   #4

OK, I just watched the video and I have to ask. Just what scenario could you ever find yourself in that situation? Why would you not let go of the trigger? I got to be missing something here. Correct me if I'm wrong... but huh?

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:11 AM   #5

Originally Posted by bhunted View Post
OK, I just watched the video and I have to ask. Just what scenario could you ever find yourself in that situation? Why would you not let go of the trigger? I got to be missing something here. Correct me if I'm wrong... but huh?
I agree with you. My question is though, is this functioning safely as it was designed, or is there something wrong that needs to be addressed by Kimber. According to some of these people in this forum it's out of time.

If it's doing what it's supposed to do and it's safe, I'm fine with it. But if it's truly not working as designed, I'd like to know..
Old 03-07-2017, 07:53 AM   #6

I'm not that familiar with the Swartz safety. Only my UCII has it and I never had a need to detail strip that gun, but you made me look.

My firing pin does not depress beyond the firing pin stop when the grip safety is released. If I hold pressure on the firing pin and then press the GS it will depress further like it should.

If you ask me, that's how it's supposed to work. Why should you be able to depress it beyond the firing pin stop if the GS isn't depressed and the plunger isn''t being held out of the way? That makes no sense to me.

Who is that guy? Maybe his pistol is "out of time" lol.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:07 AM   #7

I think you are concerned about a condition/problem that does not exist. Sounds like it is working as designed to me.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:20 PM   #8

The timing is slightly off with the Swartz safety. Of the three Series II Kimbers I own only one was timed correctly. That said, I've never had any problems with the two that are not perfectly timed. The link in the sticky from this section "Tuning the Kimber style Swartz safety" has all the info that one needs to check and do the necessary work to get it timed correctly.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=301653
pacanis likes this.

Last edited by 46QJI; 03-07-2017 at 04:28 PM.
46QJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:48 PM   #9

Originally Posted by 46QJI View Post
The timing is slightly off with the Swartz safety. Of the three Series II Kimbers I own only one was timed correctly. That said, I've never had any problems with the two that are not perfectly timed. The link in the sticky from this section "Tuning the Kimber style Swartz safety" has all the info that one needs to check and do the necessary work to get it timed correctly.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=301653
Thanks guys for checking for me. Sounds like mine is fine.

This was my point though up above. Why does one out of three do it, and only that one that does it is correct. I stopped off at the shop where I got it, and I talked to them, and tried four Kimbers, and all four functioned just like mine.

On another note, does the pin that engages it only come up about 1/16" when you squeeze the tail safety, and sit flat when the tail is not engaged. I can't find a measurement for it.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:49 PM   #10

I've never checked my Kimbers like this before. The Pro TLE and the Pro Raptor depress, as shown in the video. The Custom Crimson Carry does not depress. However, it has 2,900 rounds through it. Other than a few FTE issues early on, I haven't had any problem with it firing. Leads me to believe the Swartz timing issue isn't that critical.
Chuck43 and Laars like this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)

Last edited by Insta-Gator; 03-07-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

disarm schartz safety

kimber swartz safety

Click on a term to search for related topics.